Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2008 I was looking at the challenger R/T with a manual tranny, and wasn't able to get the deal I wanted, so I bought a Bullitt Mustang. I am very happy with the mustang, but I still have the urge for the R/T. Now that the 2010 prices are low, I am considering them again.
When I test drove the R/T, everything was good with the exception of the clutch. It was very easy (I really mean super easy) to depress. I asked the salesman about it, and he said that's the way they are.
I'm an old guy, and to me a clutch shouldn't feel spongy. Is that the way all Challengers are, or was there something wrong with the only R/T I have ever driven?
Thanks.
Steve

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is the S197 body Mustang still a Mechanical clutch?

If so that is the HUGE difference since the Challenger is Hydraulic.

I know when I jump from my Challenger into my SN-95 or Fox Body Mustang, it is like going on a Nautilus machine.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
The RT has a hydrolic clutch so your just pushing the fluid around instead of pushing the presure plate and releasing the disc. These have been around for a long time just not in American muscle cars so they work great.

·
Super Moderator
15,412 Posts
The Tremec T-56 (90's model) and updated to the TR-6060 uses a hydraulic clutch master cylinder system along with a slave cylinder that is located next to the throwout bearing...

The '93-'02 Camaro / Firebird and Corvettes utilize this setup - it allows high clamping force clutches/ pressure plates with greatly reduced pedal effort.

The TR-6060 (currently in Viper, '10+ Camaro, Challenger 09+) uses the Sachs twin disc clutch setup with this model of transmission.

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
Because of HYDRAULIC clutch activation, there is no loss of power/motion from the pedal = less pedal pressure needed. Dual clutch doubles clamping area so pedal effort is cut in half in comparison to a single clutch of the same clamping force with half the area. Simple math.

·
Super Moderator
15,412 Posts
Because of HYDRAULIC clutch activation, there is no loss of power/motion from the pedal = less pedal pressure needed. Dual clutch doubles clamping area so pedal effort is cut in half in comparison to a single clutch of the same clamping force with half the area. Simple math.
+1 on that.

Plus the increased friction surface area of having 2 friction discs allows a smaller diameter clutch and less mass / inertia compared to a larger diameter clutch if a single disc was used...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information. I am accustomed to a clutch that feels strong. I expect the R/T's set up is more efficient, but I don't want someone calling me Michelle or something for driving a soft clutched car.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Thanks for the information. I am accustomed to a clutch that feels strong. I expect the R/T's set up is more efficient, but I don't want someone calling me Michelle or something for driving a soft clutched car.
Just show them what happens when you let the soft clutch go and they won't make fun anymore.

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
to my knowledge they didnt make a manual in 2008 did they? Im thinking circa october or november 08 was the first release.. NOTSURE of that but, Either way clutch is easy to operate and the mustangs clutch linkage is just a little less fluid kinda notchy... but effortless also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oops

Sorry, poor wording. I was looking at a 2009 R/T, but it was late October of 2008. I don't believe there was a manual tranny until the 2009 models.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i actually new that and NOTSURE got his in mid late october making him the first to own a 6 speed.. I was kinda poking for a response I knew the answer to. lol

·
Registered
402 Posts
I suspect the fact that it's a twin disc clutch (in addition to being hydraulic), contributes to the light pedal feel.

·
Super Moderator
15,412 Posts
i actually new that and NOTSURE got his in mid late october making him the first to own a 6 speed.. I was kinda poking for a response I knew the answer to. lol
That sounds about right - there were delays in 6-speed manual production, the initial ones built ~ Sep 2008, plus the shipping time to final destination.

Mine arrived at the dealer in early Nov 2008, was one of the first (and only) 6-speed allocations my dealer got for the '09 model year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That sounds about right - there were delays in 6-speed manual production, the initial ones built ~ Sep 2008, plus the shipping time to final destination.

Mine arrived at the dealer in early Nov 2008, was one of the first (and only) 6-speed allocations my dealer got for the '09 model year.
The one I was looking at arrived at the dealer (Tuttle Click Dodge) on October 31 of 2008. It was a 2009, but the Bullitt Mustang I ended up buying was a 2008 model.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The bigger problem is you're comparing a Ford clutch to a diff clutch. I did car audio for 6 years, so I've driven many many cars... and Ford's always have retardedly hard clutches. non-ford/ hydraulic clutch for the win.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I still don't know if I'll pull the trigger on a 2010 R/T, or wait one more year to see if they are going to bring out the Cuda with the new 426 engine.
Which ever way I go, it won't be with a manual tranny. I just can't stand the feel of the soft clutch. To me they need to have some resistance to feel right, and even though it is probably a much better system than the old style, I just can't do it.
Anyone have any solid info on the Cuda?
Thanks

By the way, I know this is the Challenger site, but the Mustang is a solid car. I have been very happy with my Bullitt, but I do like the looks of the Dodge.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Hal,
How can we find out what production number car we got in 2009? Mine was built in 9/08 and brought my 2009 Torred R/T 6 speed home on 10/27/2008.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts