Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
SRT-8
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -
I have a 2010 Rallye - car is great but I wish it had the 50 more HP the 2011 has... Anyway, last night I had an R/T exhaust system literally fall in my lap. Someone was moving who had upgraded and he gave it to me. The system looks complete minus the heat shields and tips.

A couple of questions for the group -
1. Is this an upgrade worth doing? I figure about $200 for the exhaust tips and maybe another $100-$200 for the installation.

2. Has anyone out there done this? If so, any significant performance gains?

3. Would the sound of the car be better or worse?

4. I believe it will bolt on as-is, with a new fascia. Can anyone confirm?

As always, thanks for your comments.
- John

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I think R/T tips can be had for about $50 on e-bay.
Even if you have a shop do the install I don't think it would cost more than $200 and that would be on the high end if that.
Try to gently dremel the cut out's on the stock SE valance and save some money...if you mess it up you can still get an R/T valance for like $60 or so.

·
Registered
181 Posts
done the same to mine...sounds better but i left the resonators on for now...pull off the intake silencer....that will sound even better and give you more airflow...dont waste your money on a CAI....just use a K&N air filter in your box , thats just as good.. you will need to get some reducers to make it fit...any shop can fix some for you...

·
Registered
536 Posts
Tips are under $70.... I have the rt exhaust on my challenger, and took off the stock mufflers and added glass packs. I had the muffler shop cut my valance which saved me $60 and it looks perfect. I lovely RT set-up, it sounds great.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Tips are under $70.... I have the rt exhaust on my challenger, and took off the stock mufflers and added glass packs. I had the muffler shop cut my valance which saved me $60 and it looks perfect. I lovely RT set-up, it sounds great.

did you leave the resonators on or take them off....i have thought of adding some cherry bombs but dont want any drone

·
Registered
536 Posts
did you leave the resonators on or take them off....i have thought of adding some cherry bombs but dont want any drone
The sad thing is, when I droped my car off at the muffler shop, he told me he was going to throw on some glass packs which would make the exhaust louder of course which is what I wanted. When I came to pick it up, I just gave him cash and he didnt give me an invoice or anything which I should of asked for. I dont even know what glass packs I have on there :notallthere:.... We never spoke about taking off the resonators so I believe I still have them on. But, I wouldnt want to remove them I think since I love the way my exhaust sounds right now. The glass packs gave it a deep tone, and I really dont have too much drone at all. I would only remove the resonators if I heard someone with the same setup as mine and for some reason theirs sounded better with the resonators off. Since I like my exhaust the way it is now, its too risky and too much time to take them off just to see if it sounds a little better. I would just leave them on and get the glass packs, it sounds really good :pimp:

·
Super Moderator
14,135 Posts
Since resonators are a straight through design, you wouldn't be gaining anything by removing them- only increasing the chance of getting the dreaded drone. I would not fool with your existing set-up.

·
Premium Member
SRT-8
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Biker-
Thanks for the reply. Not sure where the intake silencer is - I assume the muffler shop will be able to remove. From what I've read in other posts and on your post, CAI is not worth it but the K&N drop-in is. I'd like to squeeze out even a few more horses between the dual exhaust and the filter. On the rear fascia, I may let the shop make the cuts as JFord suggests. I've read it is difficult to remove...
Thanks for the info. - John

·
Premium Member
SRT-8
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the good information. It sounds like it's worth giving it a shot... I write more when completed...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Biker-
Thanks for the reply. Not sure where the intake silencer is - I assume the muffler shop will be able to remove. From what I've read in other posts and on your post, CAI is not worth it but the K&N drop-in is. I'd like to squeeze out even a few more horses between the dual exhaust and the filter. On the rear fascia, I may let the shop make the cuts as JFord suggests. I've read it is difficult to remove...
Thanks for the info. - John
the intake silencer is right under your stock airbox....just go in thru the fenderwell and take out one screw then yank that sucker out....if you take out your air filter you will see the screw in the bottom of the box but you have to get at it from below...dont worry about the hole left because thats where your air will come in...no trash will get in there because of your fenderwell and your air filter....good luck

·
Premium Member
SRT-8
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the intake silencer is right under your stock airbox....just go in thru the fenderwell and take out one screw then yank that sucker out....if you take out your air filter you will see the screw in the bottom of the box but you have to get at it from below...dont worry about the hole left because thats where your air will come in...no trash will get in there because of your fenderwell and your air filter....good luck
Thank you - if the rain stops here in NY tomorrow, the intake silencer is coming out!

Thanks again for the tip!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good luck with your add on...Myself I have all I need to do my exhaust conversion but the weather is not cooperating here in NYC.. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts