Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2015 R/T
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2015 R/T Auto and want to beef up the exhaust noise a bit. After doing a pretty good amount of research, I have come to the conclusion of starting with new mufflers and possibly a reso delete. I am leaning toward magnaflows, but I can't figure out which one to get. Any recommendations are helpful, whether it's a certain muffler or an alternate way to beef it up. With this project I want the exhaust to sound more throaty, like an old muscle car, and not raspy like a flow master super 10 or something of the sort.

Thanks,
Jake:grin2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm in the same boat I been fishing around and straight pipes muffler and reso delete sound so amazing. Another option is SLP mufflers with reso delete replace with straight pipes. Dynomax bullet muffler and reso delete sound great too. I guess it just boils down to your tolerance to drone and what you consider good in taste. BTW I heard a 15 charger with super 10's and reso delete amd it's sounds great I could find the link for you if interested.

-hemiiifeverrr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Honestly, the best "Old School" muscle sound I've heard is with the Flowmaster American Thunder cat back system. Deep sound and louder than stock. Sounded more like an old big block Muscle Car. Many of the other systems have that higher pitch raspy sound. The Flowmaster kit uses their 40 series muffler. I had it on my '13 5.7 R/T M6 and it was an affordable way to get a stainless mandrel bent system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Honestly, the best "Old School" muscle sound I've heard is with the Flowmaster American Thunder cat back system. Deep sound and louder than stock. Sounded more like an old big block Muscle Car. Many of the other systems have that higher pitch raspy sound. The Flowmaster kit uses their 40 series muffler. I had it on my '13 5.7 R/T M6 and it was an affordable way to get a stainless mandrel bent system.

I have a 15 scat pak and wondering what to do the electric flappers if I want to install a better sounding exhaust system such as American thunder? thanks for any help. Ed

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I have a 15 scat pak and wondering what to do the electric flappers if I want to install a better sounding exhaust system such as American thunder? thanks for any help. Ed
There are some work arounds out there with some of the aftermarket systems that fool the car into thinking the valves are still being used. If you have the stock active exhaust I wouldn't add a kit. It's fairly loud stock without the drone. My American Thunder kit was on a '13 5.7 car and it really wasn't any louder than my Scat Pack's active exhaust. The Flowmaster system was a little deeper but it had a lot more drone. Some people have been happy with a mid muffler (the mufflers under the car) delete on their Scat Packs for more noise while keeping the active exhaust vales intact.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There are some work arounds out there with some of the aftermarket systems that fool the car into thinking the valves are still being used. If you have the stock active exhaust I wouldn't add a kit. It's fairly loud stock without the drone. My American Thunder kit was on a '13 5.7 car and it really wasn't any louder than my Scat Pack's active exhaust. The Flowmaster system was a little deeper but it had a lot more drone. Some people have been happy with a mid muffler (the mufflers under the car) delete on their Scat Packs for more noise while keeping the active exhaust vales intact.
that's great input, I think removing the mid mufflers might be a option, I will do some searching and see if anyone has some input on this option. I really do not want any drone.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check out Zoomers, IMO they have the best old muscle car sound, I put them on my 14 RT and now I have them on my 16 RT auto, no drone that I notice, louder and deeper than stock but not overpowering.

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
537 Posts
True muscle car sound comes from a true muscle car exhaust not the cat back "systems" sold through vendors. Check out Porter mufflers. They have been in hot rod and high performance exhaust systems since 1931.
https://portermufflers.com/

Reactions: JakeZ 21

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dont remove the resonators. I made the mistake of deleting mine and it sounded terrible inside the car. Really loud, head splitting, eye watering bass kind of noise. I thought I was going to go deaf! Went back to the shop 30 mins after to weld the resonators back on.

- Just waiting for my Mini Bullets to be delivered on Thursday.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So, just had the mini bullets installed. Very little change in sound. I may have to replace my resonators with glasspacks.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Dont remove the resonators. I made the mistake of deleting mine and it sounded terrible inside the car. Really loud, head splitting, eye watering bass kind of noise. I thought I was going to go deaf! Went back to the shop 30 mins after to weld the resonators back on.

- Just waiting for my Mini Bullets to be delivered on Thursday.
Yes!!! That sound is awesome! :banger: :banger: :banger: :banger: :banger: :banger: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

·
Premium Member
Dodge Challenger RT Plus
28 Posts
Comes complete with MASSIVE drone @ 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would like to have the active exhaust like the 2017 RT's have.....I wonder.....if you can put that system on a 2015/2016 RT?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Comes complete with MASSIVE drone @ 2000 rpm.
I does have some drone, yes. Any cat back system without some kind of resonator in place at the rear will. If you have a manual it's pretty easy to control and is only noticeable around 18mph. No drone on the highway.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,893 Posts
Try corsa extreme

I have an '15 manual RT and tried blastin bobs...way too much drone. Literally took them off after I put them on. Corsa Xtreme give a nice, louder tone but I wish it had the H-pipe like the stock, manual exhaust which to me sounds more old school. There is a corsa extreme on ebay now $1200 OBO but I opted to get a new system which I found for $1280 shipped. I liked the tone immediately and there is no drone. After having the exhaust for a week I decided to delete the mid mufflers (just unloosen the clamps, slide out the mufflers and insert 20.5" long 2.5" pipe using a butt joint band clamp...1/2 hour job). It definitely bumps up the sound level and all exhaust noise moved to the back of the car. I swear the cabin is even quieter...until you open the windows. I have sound clips with and without the mid mufflers if you would like to hear. Although this is all on a manual with no MDS.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts