Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the posts here I'm actually considering trading my 2013 R/T for a new GT. Dealer offered to let me have it for a weekend so I'm sure all my questions will be answered if I take them up on it. I hate looking at my R/T waiting out the winter in the garage.

To be honest I choose to store it because of salt not because I can't drive it. My winter vehicle is an 84 Chevy c30 2wd. I'm sure my car would handle better.

My biggest question is how well will the GT's hold up against rust here in Wisconsin. Sinse they're designed for this are they better protected against it?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,559 Posts
The spots that concern me are where the foam and pads are. My R/T saw 1 season of Gurnee IL winter in 2015 (previous owner) and it shows more surface rust than my 2013 GC that has seen 5 years of Illinois salty roads and the undercarriage shows minimal rusting.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, very interesting. I see a lot of rusted pickup beds rusting out because of that. Ram trucks seem to be really bad. Those foam pads are in the GT's as well? I really dont want to spend 35k on a car that will start rusting out shortly after paying it off.

I'm glad I chose to store it for the winter. I'm just north of you in Kenosha. They love salt here.?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,559 Posts
Wow, very interesting. I see a lot of rusted pickup beds rusting out because of that. Ram trucks seem to be really bad. Those foam pads are in the GT's as well? I really dont want to spend 35k on a car that will start rusting out shortly after paying it off.

I'm glad I chose to store it for the winter. I'm just north of you in Kenosha. They love salt here.?
Not 100% sure it is the same for the GTs...the images I posted were for a 2015 RT.

Here is another link you might find interesting.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/see-where-they-rust-350426/?350426=#post4812050

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is very discouraging. I hadn't seen that post before. I drive my Challenger as DD in the summer. I've never worried about rain until now. I guarantee I'll be looking for bubbles in my paint tomorrow. This April is five years since new.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I thought about trading in my 2015 R/T for a GT for the same reason, I have an old car I want to do sitting in a car port deteriorating, I love the R/T as well and don't want it out of the garage. If I got a V6 GT I would just consider it a work beater, but my R/T is almost paid off and then I can get a loan and build a bigger garage or just move.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After seeing the post about foam inside the fenders and rocker panels I'm not as sure. It would be my DD year round so I guess it wouldn't matter. All cars and trucks rust here. I'd just hate to see it happen faster than it should. My neighbor has a Ram Humble Bee that got eaten up by rust. Foam panels in every spot where the rust is. Tailgate and truck bed panels are toast.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Test drove it today. Took my R/T out so I had a good comparison before driving the GT. First, nice car, I enjoyed driving it. Second, AWD would be a huge plus for year round driving.

Unfortunately, I knew 10 seconds into the test drive that it wasn't for me. I bought my R/T for the thrill it gives me when i hit the gas pedal. The GT is just under powered for my tastes.

Still, great car and there is a market for it and it looks just as awesome as my R/T.

Put a 5.7 in it and I'll buy one.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I agree the GT with the 3.6L is a great DD the AWD for rain and snow. Challenger style for great looks. But it lacks the 2 major things a great muscle car needs massive low end torque and a rumbling V8 sound. That's why I have my GT as my DD that I love to drive and my Scat Pack Shaker fair weather fun car. Because I just got to have it all. And if Dodge ever makes a V8 AWD Challenger I would sell my GT to my dad or brother who like my GT and buy one. But I will never sell my Scat Pack 392 Hemi 6speed manual It is just too much fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
After reading all the posts here I'm actually considering trading my 2013 R/T for a new GT. Dealer offered to let me have it for a weekend so I'm sure all my questions will be answered if I take them up on it. I hate looking at my R/T waiting out the winter in the garage.

To be honest I choose to store it because of salt not because I can't drive it. My winter vehicle is an 84 Chevy c30 2wd. I'm sure my car would handle better.

My biggest question is how well will the GT's hold up against rust here in Wisconsin. Sinse they're designed for this are they better protected against it?
I am also considering a Ford (GT500)...pretty much anything that gets water on it will eventually rust:browsmiley: update: just looked at a leftover '17 stage 3 Roush...awe man I'm getting an itchy trigger finger

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I agree the GT with the 3.6L is a great DD the AWD for rain and snow. Challenger style for great looks. But it lacks the 2 major things a great muscle car needs massive low end torque and a rumbling V8 sound. That's why I have my GT as my DD that I love to drive and my Scat Pack Shaker fair weather fun car. Because I just got to have it all. And if Dodge ever makes a V8 AWD Challenger I would sell my GT to my dad or brother who like my GT and buy one. But I will never sell my Scat Pack 392 Hemi 6speed manual It is just too much fun.
you would if it was an AWD Hellcat with 707 H.P. and AWD, 0-60 would be 1.5 seconds lol :D Nah I really don't know that you would, but you have to admit it does sound tempting...

·
Registered
258 Posts

Just caught this post, I'm up in Oshkosh, buts heres some pics of my 2010 after 7 yrs of DD in WI, really not too bad, but I did buy a 2017 GT ..........My mech, AKA my wife, took out that foam pad, you could see it was somewhat wet sitting in there for the years...........hoping the GT lasts 7 yrs also.

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,559 Posts
Just caught this post, I'm up in Oshkosh, buts heres some pics of my 2010 after 7 yrs of DD in WI, really not too bad, but I did buy a 2017 GT ..........My mech, AKA my wife, took out that foam pad, you could see it was somewhat wet sitting in there for the years...........hoping the GT lasts 7 yrs also.

Rich
Was the car garage kept or parked outside?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Was the car garage kept or parked outside?
Chally, it was kept in a garge, but it was on the road 365 days a year, my DD, the rust spot wasn't really bad, but you could see it up close, so 7 yrs up in this salt happy state is doing pretty good. Although my 1994 F-150 made it 10 yrs before it started rusting around the wheel wells.

Rich

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
you would if it was an AWD Hellcat with 707 H.P. and AWD, 0-60 would be 1.5 seconds lol :D Nah I really don't know that you would, but you have to admit it does sound tempting...
A 5000lb Challenger that can't smoke the tires when you want to or let you steer with the skinny pedal doesn't sound that tempting to me. You might as well get a Trailhawk at that point.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
If I did end up getting an AWD Hellcat I would keep my R/T Scat Pack Because I don't sell the cars that I love and the Hellcat's don't come with a Shaker hood. I still have the first 3 cars that I bought nearly 40 years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 challenger rt shaker
64 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has had there cars rust protected? Although I store my R/T shaker for the winter I still had the dealer rust proof it, supposed to be guaranteed for life? Any way I bought my 2001 intrepid r/t brand new and had the dealer rust protect it. after 16 yrs of southern Ontario winters there was just a tiny rust line in side the bottom of the front doors. sold it last year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts