Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Has anyone installed an Aero-Plate front license bracket? Let me say first it's a quality piece but holy crap.... "can be installed in a 1/2 hour with simple tools". Maybe if you've got John Force's pit crew working on it!

Well I tried for about an hour on a lift and got nowhere fast! Got the belly pans off and got the bracket where it was suppose to be but the angle would not work, arms were on an upward angle and no way would lay flush with the bumper support bracket. Are there different arms for the R/T? Also what kind of drill do you need to get between the condensor and the front air dam, can only be a couple inches in there, no way any standard drill is going to fit!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ted

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
R/T Front License Bracket

Well, I went back and measured and tried again to install the Aero-Plate bracket, no way will this work unless I cut about a 1/2 inch out of the mounting bracket. These two brackets mount to the bumper support behind the grille. I called High Horse Performance (HHP) and they called the manufacturer who said "only one size fits all", they also checked other brackets but were all the same. This is a really nice piece and would love to install it but I really don't want to cut and weld the brackets, especially since I paid $207.00 with shipping for this set up!

I know others on this forum have installed this sytem.... anyone have the same problem? So for now, since I live in CT. and need a front plate, I used the stock plastic bracket and zip tied it to through the lower grille. The bracket lays right on the top of the spoiler and on the plastic that sits above the lower two row grille. It actually is about 1/16" or so away from the paint between the spoiler and the lower grille. I guess it's not a bad temporary fix for now.

Any help would be graet.

Ted

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Hi all,

Has anyone installed an Aero-Plate front license bracket? Let me say first it's a quality piece but holy crap.... "can be installed in a 1/2 hour with simple tools". Maybe if you've got John Force's pit crew working on it!

Well I tried for about an hour on a lift and got nowhere fast! Got the belly pans off and got the bracket where it was suppose to be but the angle would not work, arms were on an upward angle and no way would lay flush with the bumper support bracket. Are there different arms for the R/T? Also what kind of drill do you need to get between the condensor and the front air dam, can only be a couple inches in there, no way any standard drill is going to fit!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ted
Thank you for posting that Ted....now I don't feel like a total idiot!!
I've been working on the same install for 3 days now! Yea...."simple no-drill installation"...what a crock! Well I FINALLY got it on....after 3 days....5 trips to hardware store...
3 broken drill bits I can tell you this.....

1) make a dimple in bumper brace with an automatic punch (since there's no way you'll get a punch & hammer in there.

2) I used a dremel with rt angle attachment to make dimple a bit deeper to drill. but trust me...there's no way you're going to drill thru the bumper brace with the dremel...as i found out!

3) get a drill with 1/8" bit made for drillng thru metal, & drill thru....be patient...don't use excessive force....& it will drill thru. Yes it is a very tight fit with drill...& you'll be drilling hole at a slight angle...but its the only way.

4) be sure there's a slight gap between bracket & front bumper...then torque in the ss screws...or what happened to me, holes were a bit to large (possibly due to angle drilling) so i used oversize screws.

5) it'll take another 2 hrs to attempt to torque the set screws that hold plate front bracket.

I agree with you....it's a quality piece...but the overall design is reall crappy!:disgust:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
R/T Front Plate

Yes, it's a challenge to install to say the least. Great tip on the Dremel as there is no way any basic drill will fit. Don't know why that isn't in the instuctions!

So you got yours installed, did you have any problems with the arms being too tall when they go through the upper row of grille holes? I don't know if I have a mongrel front end but no way can I mount it per the instuctions. It will, however, go through the bottom of the two rows but that leaves me with two more issues/problems. The plate will be offset about 3/4 of an inch either way as the top row is in line with the center of the bumper and the bottom is not. Also now I will need to add spacers to the mounting arms because now I have too much space between the bracket and the bumper support. And of course the third option is to cut and weld the arms which I'm not to thrilled about doing.

So that sums up the pitfalls you will encounter with the installation. Unfortunately, there are only a few options for this problem. The zip ties work for now but I know it's only a matter of time before my plate and stock bracket go bouncing down the highway.

Would love to hear if anyone else has done something different with the front plate problem.

Thanks, Ted

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Yes, it's a challenge to install to say the least. Great tip on the Dremel as there is no way any basic drill will fit. Don't know why that isn't in the instuctions!

So you got yours installed, did you have any problems with the arms being too tall when they go through the upper row of grille holes? I don't know if I have a mongrel front end but no way can I mount it per the instuctions. It will, however, go through the bottom of the two rows but that leaves me with two more issues/problems. The plate will be offset about 3/4 of an inch either way as the top row is in line with the center of the bumper and the bottom is not. Also now I will need to add spacers to the mounting arms because now I have too much space between the bracket and the bumper support. And of course the third option is to cut and weld the arms which I'm not to thrilled about doing.

So that sums up the pitfalls you will encounter with the installation. Unfortunately, there are only a few options for this problem. The zip ties work for now but I know it's only a matter of time before my plate and stock bracket go bouncing down the highway.

Would love to hear if anyone else has done something different with the front plate problem.

Thanks, Ted
I thought the same thing at first...it is very snug getting arms thru plastic grill....& I was going to do the bottom row also....but DON'T! you'll only create a whole set of new problems! Put a little wd-40 on the arms...& work it thu slowly....careful not to crack grill. I can tell you it did go thru for mine. So far as being angled upward....yes, I also noticed that. I think it's because for 2011 they turned that bottom grill upside down....so it's kind of angled up a bit, as opposed to previous yrs. But when you screw the arms to the bumper brace, it forces it angles it down a bit....so unless you're looking from the side...really carefully...it's not all that noticeable. Lemme know what happens!

·
Registered
251 Posts
sounds like a crazy install for a front license plate setup.....makes me wonder if it is worth the effort. can someone post pics.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
sounds like a crazy install for a front license plate setup.....makes me wonder if it is worth the effort. can someone post pics.
It is....& it's not!:disgust:
I'll post some pic's tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I saw where some people had success with wall anchors. I spent an hour , 2 gallons of gas and went to two lowes, a Home Depot and an Ace hardware. It takes two a 4.5" or 5" wall anchors. No such animal exists. I ended up drilling holes in my bumper. Drat! Cant see the holes anyway...

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
T
I saw where some people had success with wall anchors. I spent an hour , 2 gallons of gas and went to two lowes, a Home Depot and an Ace hardware. It takes two a 4.5" or 5" wall anchors. No such animal exists. I ended up drilling holes in my bumper. Drat! Cant see the holes anyway...
T
Hats what I want to avoid...which is why I'm keeping the aero plate...in spite of the installation hell

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
here ya go

Attachments

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Here's the Skene Designs set up...

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts