Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had there intake manifold leak oil ? it looks where the manifold is molded together is where it is leaking oil.. it goes to the dealer on Monday , i hope the dealer just doesnt clean it and try to reglue it..:browsmiley:

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I've never heard of that before, but if there are oil passages in the intake manifold and they were leaking I wouldn't let them reglue it like you say you want done.

·
Registered
451 Posts
mine leaked too until I installed a catch can.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
....yes, mine is leaking too and pooling a bit in the recesses of the drivers side of the manifold. I have read of a few others having issues on these engines. They will likely replace the manifold if its not a gasket or something that can be fixed by tightening.

·
Registered
451 Posts
one of the reasons I will be upgrading to an SRT aluminum manifold soon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
has anyone had there intake manifold leak oil ? it looks where the manifold is molded together is where it is leaking oil.. it goes to the dealer on Monday , i hope the dealer just doesnt clean it and try to reglue it..:browsmiley:
What year is yours? Anyone with a 2011 having the same problem?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
deal said thet clean it and found no oil leak , but they noted oil was on seam and intake area. car will be out of warr in 10k miles. so if it get worst it will be fix under factory warr.. i dont really care at this time , i just scored a deal on SRT complete intake system, with the SRT shorties headers and flowmaster exh.

·
Registered
153 Posts
my 2010 FF R/T has developed an oil leak on the intake manifold near the front on the drivers side cyl head....at 2000 miles!! is there a TSB on it?

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
my 2010 RT .. looked to be the same ... turned out just to be spilled oil from the [email protected]#%ag that changed the oil ... i had them detail the engine and all has been fine .. @ about 19k no problems

·
Registered
179 Posts
deal said thet clean it and found no oil leak , but they noted oil was on seam and intake area. car will be out of warr in 10k miles. so if it get worst it will be fix under factory warr.. i dont really care at this time , i just scored a deal on SRT complete intake system, with the SRT shorties headers and flowmaster exh.
Skidmark70 – Congratulations on your performance parts score! Keep an eye on the oil seapage.

·
Banned
368 Posts
This was an issue for Chrysler/Dodge about 10 years ago on the 5.9's and I beleive the 5.2's. It was a big issue and there was never a recall on it, however if you brought it into the dealer they fixed it no questions asked...quite a few lawsuits about engine sludge related to that if I recall correctly...I haven't had any coffee yet so I could be dreaming! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
....yes, mine is leaking too and pooling a bit in the recesses of the drivers side of the manifold. I have read of a few others having issues on these engines. They will likely replace the manifold if its not a gasket or something that can be fixed by tightening.
Kean, i am having the same issue as what you have stated. What did you/dealer end up doing to solve the problem?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Kean, i am having the same issue as what you have stated. What did you/dealer end up doing to solve the problem?
I haven't had a chance to bring my car in yet and recent events will make it likely that I wont be able to until next year. I've been simply too busy as of this past weekend (in a good way).

The leak has been very slow and it takes several weeks to notice again once cleaned up.

·
Registered
464 Posts
One thing to remember,,,If oil can leak out air can leak in. the computer will compensate but only up to a point. By the time that point hit's it is out of warranty and you are responsible for fixing the issue. Air leaking in the manifold seams could cause a high idle condition, the idle air control motor is at minimum settings and can't go any lower because the extra air coming thru the manifold. Let's say now you have 60,000 miles on it and the check engine light is on, you bring it in for a state inspection and it fails because the check engine light is on. What ever code is for a high idle concern, now you have to pay the guy to diagnose why and what is causing that issue. If he is familiar with these engines then it is quick and easy, if not it cost's you alot of labor and parts. fix it now. let Dodge pay for the crappy "high frequency vibration it will melt and glue together" design. Same thing they do for headlight housings and we see how well they stay sealed with no pressure changes inside. If oil is on the outside and it is not near the filler neck, it IS leaking!

·
Registered
585 Posts
ok i recently found my mopar CAI filter to be covered in oil, i also notice that my car has been idling funny lately, and i just posted about hearing a high pitched whistling noise when i'm beginning to throttle up through 3rd gear. could these all be related?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not sure where to look for this, any pics? Would a catch can remedy this?
On mine, there is wetness moving up the left side of the black intake manifold. Also, oil is pooling in one of the middle valleys on the left side.

Originally, dealership thought it was spillage from oil change, but dye-checked for leaks yesterday and are replacing the intake manifold due to a "porous casting" under warranty.

Can't help you on the catch can. Maybe someone had this problem and installed one.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
One thing to remember,,,If oil can leak out air can leak in. the computer will compensate but only up to a point. By the time that point hit's it is out of warranty and you are responsible for fixing the issue. Air leaking in the manifold seams could cause a high idle condition, the idle air control motor is at minimum settings and can't go any lower because the extra air coming thru the manifold. Let's say now you have 60,000 miles on it and the check engine light is on, you bring it in for a state inspection and it fails because the check engine light is on. What ever code is for a high idle concern, now you have to pay the guy to diagnose why and what is causing that issue. If he is familiar with these engines then it is quick and easy, if not it cost's you alot of labor and parts. fix it now. let Dodge pay for the crappy "high frequency vibration it will melt and glue together" design. Same thing they do for headlight housings and we see how well they stay sealed with no pressure changes inside. If oil is on the outside and it is not near the filler neck, it IS leaking!
well oil that leaks out from the intake bolts typically happens cause the crankcase is pressurized so its forcing the oil up the threads of the bolt and out with a little bit of vapor (tiny bit). so air cant be sucked in when the vapor is being pushed out. plus, theres a big difference between a air leak to the block and a vacuum leak to the intake manifold. the first (leak to the block) does not affect combustion at all

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have the same issue on my 09 RT... taking car to the dealer on Friday... This sucks... I read on another thread discussing same issue that the dealer gaskets will leak again... Not good... kind of disappointed at this point...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts