Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I measured the rear today (lowered yesterday) and the height from the ground to the center of the fender was:

Left Rear (Driver): 29.5"
Right Rear (Passenger): 29"

Any ideas what could be causing this??

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I measured the rear today (lowered yesterday) and the height from the ground to the center of the fender was:

Left Rear (Driver): 29.5"
Right Rear (Passenger): 29"

"glasses"? :)

Seriously........... possibly uneven surface it is sitting on?

(I have to ask.....how was it lowered?) Different springs? Maybe one spring had a different "rate" or wasn't the same "temper".

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"glasses"? :)

Seriously........... possibly uneven surface it is sitting on?

(I have to ask.....how was it lowered?) Different springs? Maybe one spring had a different "rate" or wasn't the same "temper".
Well I have measured on 3 different surfaces all with similar results. I lowered all the way around with the same set of vogtland springs. They should all be equal

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
OK if you eliminate a couple of factors such as the spring not being seated properly, the bolts being torqued while the suspension was hanging or being measured on an uneven surface, then I would have to say give the car a few days of driving and re-measure. I know my springs settled a bit after the install, but it was pretty evenly. Good luck.

Jack

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK if you eliminate a couple of factors such as the spring not being seated properly, the bolts being torqued while the suspension was hanging or being measured on an uneven surface, then I would have to say give the car a few days of driving and re-measure. I know my springs settled a bit after the install, but it was pretty evenly. Good luck.

Jack
As far as I can tell by double checking, they are seated correctly...and we tightened the bolts while the control arm was jacked up so that the control arm bolt was parallel to the ground....

I was hoping that they would settle as well and even out...not looking forward to taking all of it apart again

·
Registered
529 Posts
Strange, my srt8 is a tad lower on the left too.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Strange, my srt8 is a tad lower on the left too.
Left as in drivers side? My drivers side is higher.

As far as the weight goes, I have nothing in my car, so nothing should be throwing either side off...

I am going to have to uninstall and reinstall aren't I??

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
From what I gather, it will take the car a little while to settle into place after lowering. Maybe one side settled before the other because you were making turns harder on side versus the other so far. But hey, as it sits right now, it's ready for NASCAR. :thumbsup: If everything looks like it should, i.e., nothing installed improperly, then give it a month or two and then recheck.

·
Premium Member
3,091 Posts
Try measuring it with someone in the drivers seat?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I gather, it will take the car a little while to settle into place after lowering. Maybe one side settled before the other because you were making turns harder on side versus the other so far. But hey, as it sits right now, it's ready for NASCAR. :thumbsup: If everything looks like it should, i.e., nothing installed improperly, then give it a month or two and then recheck.
As far as I can tell from pulling the tires back off nothing is installed wrong. And everything is riding ok, no clunking, rubbing so all is well there.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the isolator isn't fully seated or is twisted wrong in the upper housing?? Other than that all has checked out

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the rear lower control arm bolts are supposed to be tightened with the weight of the vehicle on them,wheels on the ground.
We did jack up the rotor assembly/control arm as to simulate it being on the ground, this was the only way the bolt running through the rear had the pressure relieved so you could insert and tighten.

So do you recommend, removing the nut, replacing the wheel, then tightening?? Or can I just go out to the garage and tighten down more??

This wouldn't directly affect the ride height though, would it?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I will tell you that mine is the same. I made a million measurements before I put my SRT suspension under my R/T and I was almost a 1/2in off. The same with the SRT suspension. It isn't really noticeable from behind and I know it is together right. I measure a brand new SRT on the lot two days after and it showed almost a 1/2in difference.

I tightened all my lower stuff while car was sitting on suspension. I drove car up on ramps for front and backed it up onto ramps when I did the rear to get some room to torque things.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will tell you that mine is the same. I made a million measurements before I put my SRT suspension under my R/T and I was almost a 1/2in off. The same with the SRT suspension. It isn't really noticeable from behind and I know it is together right. I measure a brand new SRT on the lot two days after and it showed almost a 1/2in difference.

I tightened all my lower stuff while car was sitting on suspension. I drove car up on ramps for front and backed it up onto ramps when I did the rear to get some room to torque things.
This makes me feel a bit better!!

I will pick up some ramps tomorrow to make sure I can tighten things down

·
Registered
529 Posts
Left as in drivers side? My drivers side is higher.

As far as the weight goes, I have nothing in my car, so nothing should be throwing either side off...

I am going to have to uninstall and reinstall aren't I??
Sorry mine is HIGHER on the left too. I've been sick and indoors, but yesterday I went out to the shop and took a look and sure enough it is the left that is higher

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,087 Posts
Well, let us know how you like the Vogtland springs if/when you get it sorted out. I've been recommending them over Eibachs from my experience with my GT. I'd like to hear some feedback on them on a Challenger.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts