Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I'm experiencing the Hemi Tick. I'm a little concerned. The car, a 2013 R/T has 2200 miles. I first noticed it when I was accelerating. The tick speed varies based on my RPM's. When parked, I hear it best by my front passenger tire with the hood closed. With the hood open, I can barely hear the tick in the engine compartment. When I hit 1500 miles, I did try for my best 0 - 60 time in case that has any bearing (happy with my time by the way). I also didn't notice it until my first oil change at 1,000 miles. I did see the various threads on Hem Tick. I'm just asking for your opinion here. Is the the infamous tick or something else?

·
Banned
290 Posts
The 5.7l in particular, is noisy. It ticks. It's just what it does. What you described sounds like the hemi tick exactly.

If it bothers you, some have said switching to mobil 1 and adding some lucas oil stabilizer helps. I personally like it.

·
Premium Member
N/A
1,814 Posts
Just changed my oil a couple of hours ago to Mobil 1, 2220 miles do not hear the Hemi tick

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I have the tick and experience the same thing. This is completely normal. However, mine quieted down a bit since it was new. You'll even hear it louder in cold weather for some reason.

I wouldn't be worried at all if I were you.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
I've noticed the '11+ 5.7s have louder fuel injectors vs. the earlier years.

The injectors make a higher pitched tick - this is normal...if you pull off the 5.7 engine cover with the engine running, you'll notice the difference. The cover has foam on the underside to absorb the injector noise.

A lifter will make a lower pitched tick and can be intermittent...

I saw one of the guys at Cars & Coffee that has a '13...he asked about that. His has the louder injector noise (I fired mine up to demonstrate).

He had a single lifter (or two) that would occasionally be louder, but he only has 5K on his.

I recommended that he try switching to full syn oil and see how it does with more miles - it was so intermittent that I'd consider his a "quiet" one.

Mine's always had quiet lifters and I sent to syn. oil after the initial 5.5k oil change.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I have noticed my '13 RT engine is noisy as well.... Ticking type noise as well. It is the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've noticed the '11+ 5.7s have louder fuel injectors vs. the earlier years.

The injectors make a higher pitched tick - this is normal...if you pull off the 5.7 engine cover with the engine running, you'll notice the difference. The cover has foam on the underside to absorb the injector noise.

A lifter will make a lower pitched tick and can be intermittent...

I saw one of the guys at Cars & Coffee that has a '13...he asked about that. His has the louder injector noise (I fired mine up to demonstrate).

He had a single lifter (or two) that would occasionally be louder, but he only has 5K on his.

I recommended that he try switching to full syn oil and see how it does with more miles - it was so intermittent that I'd consider his a "quiet" one.

Mine's always had quiet lifters and I sent to syn. oil after the initial 5.5k oil change.
Thanks for lending an ear today Hal. Your engine with more miles sounded smoother. To be honest I was hard pressed to hear the occasional noisy lifter(s). Most of what I was concerned about was the injector noise I was hearing. Going to switch to synthetic shortly as I've done with other cars.

The noise you're hearing could very well be the injectors. Pull the cover off and have a listen. If you can discern different tapping sounds, then it might be a lifter. I'm not worried so much now about what I'm hearing, but some on the forum claim to have have lifter or valve issues I think. So best to positively identify what you've got one way or the other.

Are quieter aftermarket injectors available as part of a head upgrade or standalone "mod?"

·
Registered
291 Posts
Both the new 2013 Challenger R/T I test drove in August and my Friend's 2013 R/T with 6,900 miles on it had the "Hemi tick". My friend's car was louder than the new one.

Wayne

1 - 10 of 10 Posts