Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 418 Posts

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been driving with this larger and thicker rotor conversion (both front and rear) for 2 weeks now and it's awesome. No more shaking or fading, my R/T now feels controllable when slowing down from ALL speeds. Best part is, this is an easy conversion that doesn't require disconecting your brake lines or removing any major components. Here are the details.

Front rotor conversion adapts 14.2" SRT Challenger rotors to stock R/T caliper, using Serious Metals kit, cost: $299 Brake Conversion - seriousmf.com

Rear rotor conversion adapts 13.7" Dodge Police R/T Charger rear rotors to stock Challenger R/T caliper, using (2) Dodge OEM part #5175065AB, total cost: $165 MoparOnlineParts.com

Now, all that's left to purchase are rotors and pads. Obviously, there are MANY options depending on your budget and needs. Personally, I went with Power Slot cryo treated slotted front rotors / Power Slot regular slotted rear rotors and Wagner Thermo Quiet Semi Metallic (not ceramic) pads. Below are a parts list for an example Rotor/Pad combo needed for this conversion (not what I actually used, just a reference).

Depending on the rotors and pads, this conversion can be done for under $1K total and can easily be installed by the average Joe. You will wind up with much larger (1/2" front, 1.1" rear) diameter rotors and more importantly, much thicker rotors. The end result is an affordable big brake conversion for our R/T Challengers that will now slow you down and shouldn't warp!

Top is new Dodge rear caliper bracket for allowing larger rear rotor.

New rear rotor on right is 1.1" larger diameter!

And thicker too!

New larger rear installed.

Looks great, stops better!
Qty Price Total Title: DODGE CHARGER 2007 Rear Brake Rotors - Slotted Sku: PS.63065 Desc: Premium Series Rotors - Slotted Only $242.46 (pair)$242.46 Title: DODGE CHALLENGER 2009 Front Brake Rotors - Slotted Sku: PS.63063 Desc: Premium Series Rotors - Slotted Only $298.41 (pair)$298.41 Title: CHEVROLET CORVETTE 2006 Front Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Extended Wear Sku: 106.07310 Desc: Semi-Metallic Extended Wear & Scorched $54.00 (axle set)$54.00 Title: DODGE CHARGER 2007 Rear Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Extended Wear Sku: 106.10570 Desc: Semi-Metallic Extended Wear & Scorched $42.60 (axle set)$42.60
Enter Coupon Code * All orders over $100 qualify for FREE SHIPPING via UPS Ground within the 48 States only
SHIPPING METHODSSelect Country: United States of America Enter your ship-to ZIP Code: Select Shipping Option: $0.00 - Ground $0.00 - Will Call (La Habra, Ca) Subtotal: $637.47 Total: $637.47

·
Premium Member
2004 Chevy 4x4
1,549 Posts
R/T upgrade

Great write up Cannonball..I see you have your new NASCAR tool in your garage.
Keep up the good work ! Again thank you for your help on my SRT8 :bigthumb:

BTW forum members I got a chance to ride in his Challenger..and the brake upgrade makes a big difference.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
^^Good question add will they clear the Classics or Heritage 20" wheel to that.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I thought the SRT brakes needed wheels with special clearance. Could that be in reference to the calipers, which wouldn't apply here due to the stock R/T calipers being re-used? Or perhaps that is stricly limited to aftermarket wheels? You can't put 18" OEM wheels on an SRT, can you?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Yes, this upgrade will absolutely clear all OEM 20" and 18" Dodge Challenger wheels.
Thanks for da response as it will be my brake upgrade now, nice! Thanks for da info!:D

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I thought the SRT brakes needed wheels with special clearance. Could that be in reference to the calipers, which wouldn't apply here due to the stock R/T calipers being re-used? Or perhaps that is stricly limited to aftermarket wheels? You can't put 18" OEM wheels on an SRT, can you?
SRT cars need specific SRT wheels to clear the Brembo calipers.

Because R/T cars are using the stock R/T calipers with this kit, special wheels are not needed!

Correct, 18" Dodge OEM wheels will not clear Brembo calipers.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
8,457 Posts
Excellent write up, gives me ideas for a winter project. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent write up, gives me ideas for a winter project. :thumbsup:
Thank you.

Once you have the parts in hand, you certainly won't need all Winter for this project, maybe 1/2 day tops.

:)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Do the '11-12 SE have different (lesser) brakes than the R/T? Any ideas if this upgrade would work for an SE owner?

I certainly wouldn't mind better brakes for my SE. It's still a 4000 pound car.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do the '11-12 SE have different (lesser) brakes than the R/T? Any ideas if this upgrade would work for an SE owner?

I certainly wouldn't mind better brakes for my SE. It's still a 4000 pound car.
I believe 2011/2012 SE cars had an option for heavy duty brakes (which were the same as R/T brakes). Check to see if yours has the option.

Standard SE brakes unfortunately can not utilize this upgrade.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are the step by step instuctions for replacing the Dodge rear caliper brackets, that I followed for installation on my R/T Challenger. (The front instructions are in the 1st link on page 1).

Now the quick how too. Always be safe while lifting/supporting your vehicle, use proper safety equipment, I am not liable for anything if your hurt yourself or brake anything so please be careful and complete this upgrade at your own risk or take your car to a professional.

1) I'll make this quick, you all should know how to jack the car up safely, use blocks, use proper lift points, use jack stands, etc so after lifted and safely supported, remove wheel/tire.

2) Using 15mm socket and 18mm wrench remove caliper guide pin bolts

3) Remove caliper, check your Master cylinder fluid level and ensure there is room for more fluid (there should be unless brake fluid was added after brake pads were worn down), and push caliper piston ALL the way back in to the caliper.

4) Remove brake pads, using 18mm socket, remove both caliper bracket mount bolts and remove bracket.

5) Remove rotor by pushing on one side and pulling on the other,

6) Clean new rotor thoroughly with brake parts cleaner and install on hub.

7) Gently pull the guide pin's out of the old caliper brackets. Secure caliper bracket in vise and gently tap flat end of screwdriver under the lip of the pressed in seal. Do this all the way around the whole edge. Then using 2 flat screwdrivers pry up on opposite sides and remove seal. Do this for all 4 seals (if you purchased new seals skip this part).

8) Using caliper grease, grease the caliper guide pin holes in the new caliper. ensure you get a good coating all the way in the holes.

9) Install the the seals removed in step 7 or the new ones if purchased by using a hammer to gently tap into the guide pin hole in the new caliper bracket. A socket may be used to ensure the rubber boot does not get torn during the hammering process, but as long as you hit it straight (no beer allowed until after this step...lol) the force will only be applied to the outside of the seal.

10) Install the caliper guide pins into the new caliper brackets, install the brake hardware from old brackets into new brackets.

11) Using the 18mm caliper bracket bolts mount the new caliper bracket.

12) Install the new brake pads

·
Registered
812 Posts
One of the BEST threads ever put up on this forum. Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Really nice write up! This is a great upgrade for the rt. you could also upgrade the hoses to stainless steal for another step up.

I was aware of the serious metal upgrade for the front, but not aware of that rear upgrade. Really nice.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Really nice write up! This is a great upgrade for the rt. you could also upgrade the hoses to stainless steal for another step up.

I was aware of the serious metal upgrade for the front, but no aware of that rear upgrade. Really nice.
Thanks, originally I thought about installing SS lines along with the bigger rotors, but I decided to wait and see if they would be needed. I'm glad I waited, as the bigger rotors and pads alone are slowing my car superbly with minimal required peddle pressure.

For those considering this mod, a couple key things to keep in mind:

When shopping for the proper size 13.7" rear rotor, make sure to use a 2007 Police Charger R/T application, otherwise you'll wind up getting the same 12.6" rotor that the R/T Challenger already has. You will also need a set of rear pads for the 2007 Police Charger R/T application to fit the new thicker rotor.

When it comes to rotors, don't skimp, get the best your budget allows and do your research, drilled rotors are not recessarliy better.

:cheers:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I don't normally like to replace factory stock items on my cars but this is an upgrade that I will seriously consider when it comes time for new brakes, Thanks for the info!
WF

·
Registered
497 Posts
When my brakes need replacing, this will be done! Great suggestion!

1 - 20 of 418 Posts