Dodge Challenger Forum banner

381 - 400 of 418 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Mopar parts required for the job (as far as I know at this time, still untried)

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
68217406AA Splash Shield $9.14 1 $9.14

68217407AA Splash Shield $7.96 1 $7.96

68245117AA Caliper Mount $46.78 2 $93.56

Subtotal: $110.66
Shipping (UPS - Ground): $16.93
Total: $127.59

The rotors and pads I bought were just the 14.5" BR9/Police rotors for a 2015 Charger Pursuit. I bought Raybestos rotors with the wavy grooves and also Raybestos Police pads from Amazon:

RAYBESTOS 781774PER Rotor $ 68.79 $ 0.00 2 $ 137.58

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FWNFJQY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $56 and free shipping.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I've completed the police rear brake conversion - very simple bolt-on with noticeable improvement.

I also did some digging today and from what I found (after talking to Raybestos engineering support) is that the 2014-2016 police package calipers are the same as the calipers on my 2010 R/T - only the bracket is different. In light of that, I ordered a pair of brackets and the correct brake shields today (about $130) and also ordered a nice set of front 14.5" (370mm) rotors with matching Raybestos Police brake pads (same as I used on the rear). Once everything arrives I'll do a test fit and post the results.
Update time - I hurt my back so this was on hold for a bit. The info that these are the same calipers appears to be incorrect, even though many different sources all show this. The calipers don't allow for the (very thick) pads to fit inside along with the rotor. It's too small by close to 1/4". The caliper pins listed by all the aftermarket suppliers I've tried also are not correct.

The 2015 Police car brackets use 14mm bolts to mount to the uprights, but my 2010 apparently uses 12mm bolts. From what I can see of the Mopar kit, it's supplied with the larger bolts, so it looks like I'll be drilling out the uprights. Looks like in the end I'll end up buying the Mopar calipers and swapping them out.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Current status?

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I bought the Mopar 2015 Police calipers and the hardware kit which has all the pins, seals etc. They are going to the powder coaters this week. Aside from that I should be good to go after drilling out the holes to 14mm (9/16th's).

·
Registered
972 Posts
Still for sale if thats want you're asking?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Yes... Complete package dimpled/slotted rotors, Corvette front pads, Daytona rear pads, caliper brackets front/rear and Serious Metal BB kit.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I'm going this weekend to see about getting my job back at Oreilly's this weekend, I know what I'll be looking up. I ended up quitting to go through chemo and radiation for Hodgkins lymphoma.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,819 Posts
I'm going this weekend to see about getting my job back at Oreilly's this weekend, I know what I'll be looking up. I ended up quitting to go through chemo and radiation for Hodgkins lymphoma.
How are you doing? That's a rough road :(

A Guy

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Doing good, 3 more radiation treatments. Only side affects from the radiation has been fatigue and sore throat. The tumors were in my upper chest.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Doing good, 3 more radiation treatments. Only side affects from the radiation has been fatigue and sore throat. The tumors were in my upper chest.
Hang in there.... You can beat it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,819 Posts
Wishing you all the best

A Guy

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Just finished my drivers side conversion, going back out to the garage to do the passenger side now. All of the Cop car parts fit perfectly. I used a special drill bit (9/16" half inch drive) from Fastenal that is designed for drilling stainless steel. It went right through the existing material. This was done because the early cars have 12mm bolt for the upright to caliper bracket bolts and the later cars use 14mm bolts. The spacing for the bolts was the same. There was already a chamber machined in and the hole size increase was just the size of the chamfer, so it worked out perfectly. The brake hose bolts were the same, so no change needed there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Just finished my drivers side conversion, going back out to the garage to do the passenger side now. All of the Cop car parts fit perfectly. I used a special drill bit (9/16" half inch drive) from Fastenal that is designed for drilling stainless steel. It went right through the existing material. This was done because the early cars have 12mm bolt for the upright to caliper bracket bolts and the later cars use 14mm bolts. The spacing for the bolts was the same. There was already a chamber machined in and the hole size increase was just the size of the chamfer, so it worked out perfectly. The brake hose bolts were the same, so no change needed there.
OK, all finished - I gotta say, the Cop car brakes are hilarious. If I just LOOK at the pedal hard, it will start slowing down. With barely any noticeable pedal pressure, the car pulls right down. I think I'll get the whole brake system flushed first thing in the morning, then go burnish them in. That said, just a short drive around the block shows these are WAY better than the stock R/T brakes! Wasn't cheap, but it was well worth it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Update time - I hurt my back so this was on hold for a bit. The info that these are the same calipers appears to be incorrect, even though many different sources all show this. The calipers don't allow for the (very thick) pads to fit inside along with the rotor. It's too small by close to 1/4". The caliper pins listed by all the aftermarket suppliers I've tried also are not correct.

The 2015 Police car brackets use 14mm bolts to mount to the uprights, but my 2010 apparently uses 12mm bolts. From what I can see of the Mopar kit, it's supplied with the larger bolts, so it looks like I'll be drilling out the uprights. Looks like in the end I'll end up buying the Mopar calipers and swapping them out.
Good morning, I am wanting to upgrade the brakes on my 2013 Challenger like yours. Is the only thing preventing the mopar big brake kit from bolting onto the car the smaller holes in the spindle(i assume) for the caliper brackets? This is the kit I was looking at. https://www.speedlogixstore.com/product-p/p5160035ab.htm I'm sure I can buy the individual pieces cheaper than the kit, but if drilling a few holes is all I have to do to make it all work, that sounds great. There isn't much info on the forum for this particular upgrade, and I found your posts the most helpful for this swap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Good morning, I am wanting to upgrade the brakes on my 2013 Challenger like yours. Is the only thing preventing the mopar big brake kit from bolting onto the car the smaller holes in the spindle(i assume) for the caliper brackets? This is the kit I was looking at. https://www.speedlogixstore.com/product-p/p5160035ab.htm I'm sure I can buy the individual pieces cheaper than the kit, but if drilling a few holes is all I have to do to make it all work, that sounds great. There isn't much info on the forum for this particular upgrade, and I found your posts the most helpful for this swap. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I haven't worked on a 2013, but as far as I know, yes - all you would need to do is drill the holes out. I'll never use the bit again and it's still in excellent shape, so if you want to use that kit let me know. I paid $30 for the bit, you can have it (shipped) for $20.

Also, by the time you bought all the parts you'd be at more $$ than the kit sells for. The calipers, brackets and shipping are over $500 alone, plus the small parts, rotors, and pads.

·
Registered
62 Posts

I haven't worked on a 2013, but as far as I know, yes - all you would need to do is drill the holes out. I'll never use the bit again and it's still in excellent shape, so if you want to use that kit let me know. I paid $30 for the bit, you can have it (shipped) for $20.

Also, by the time you bought all the parts you'd be at more $$ than the kit sells for. The calipers, brackets and shipping are over $500 alone, plus the small parts, rotors, and pads.
Thanks for the info. I may take you up on that when I buy the kit. Are these the two holes that you had to enlarge in the image I attached? My wife works for Dodge so I hope I can get a good discount on the parts, haha!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Thanks for the info. I may take you up on that when I buy the kit. Are these the two holes that you had to enlarge in the image I attached? My wife works for Dodge so I hope I can get a good discount on the parts, haha!
Yep, those are the holes.

·
Registered
331 Posts
OK, all finished - I gotta say, the Cop car brakes are hilarious. If I just LOOK at the pedal hard, it will start slowing down. With barely any noticeable pedal pressure, the car pulls right down. I think I'll get the whole brake system flushed first thing in the morning, then go burnish them in. That said, just a short drive around the block shows these are WAY better than the stock R/T brakes! Wasn't cheap, but it was well worth it!

I'd love to see how they are holding up. Also, do you have a complete parts list of everything you needed for this? I'm interested in tackling this on my '14 RT when I get back from deployment.

381 - 400 of 418 Posts