Dodge Challenger Forum banner

401 - 418 of 418 Posts

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I'd love to see how they are holding up. Also, do you have a complete parts list of everything you needed for this? I'm interested in tackling this on my '14 RT when I get back from deployment.
First, thank you for your service!

Second - the simplest and most cost-effective way to do this in your case (since you have a 2014) is to just buy the big brake kit from Mopar. If you want to use aftermarket rotors and pads like I did, just buy the calipers, brackets, and pins from Dodge (look up Police Pursuit Charger 2014-2016), then get matching rotors and pads and you're set.

As for "holding up" I've already put several thousand miles on them and no problems at all.

·
Registered
331 Posts
First, thank you for your service!

Second - the simplest and most cost-effective way to do this in your case (since you have a 2014) is to just buy the big brake kit from Mopar. If you want to use aftermarket rotors and pads like I did, just buy the calipers, brackets, and pins from Dodge (look up Police Pursuit Charger 2014-2016), then get matching rotors and pads and you're set.

As for "holding up" I've already put several thousand miles on them and no problems at all.

Thank you! I do it because it's something I wanted, and wouldn't change my choice for the world (yet... I still have many years to go. Haha)

I currently have a Blacktop RT, which did come with a brake kit upgrade. Since I don't have the build sheet in front of me, I can't fully remember what it had entailed. I think it was only a thicker front rotor. I would just hate to spend the 800+ on the kit to replace exactly what I currently have.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Thank you! I do it because it's something I wanted, and wouldn't change my choice for the world (yet... I still have many years to go. Haha)

I currently have a Blacktop RT, which did come with a brake kit upgrade. Since I don't have the build sheet in front of me, I can't fully remember what it had entailed. I think it was only a thicker front rotor. I would just hate to spend the 800+ on the kit to replace exactly what I currently have.
Just measure the rotors you have. These are 14.5" or 390mm. The REAR brake upgrade is a larger diameter rotor (same thickness) and just a caliper bracket change.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Hi,
My car is a 2011 Challenger R/T Classic with STP and it is time for new brakes. I have decided to put the Pursuit BR9 brakes (front and rear) on it but this post only deals with the fronts.

I confess I didn’t read all 40+ pages, and this thread has been ‘dead’ since 2017 but I did read quite a few of the pages, plus I searched but didn’t find answers to what I am curious about. I’m hoping someone has some additional insight.

From various forums (including this thread) it appears that I can purchase the complete Mopar kit (part number P5160035AB) for around $710 plus shipping. This will get me all NEW parts: Rotos, Calipers, Brackets, Pads, Shields, and brake lines. Included in that cost is a $20 per caliper Core charge. To install the parts I may then need to increase the diameter of the mounting holes on the Challenger to take the bolts for the new caliper mounts but other than that it is a simple parts swap and bleed.

A lot of people comment about buying replacement parts on-line or from parts houses to save money so I thought I would look up the prices at the major parts houses to see what the cost difference is. Based upon this information I would decide where / what to purchase. But the more I dig into it the more questions I have.

For parts houses I started with AutoZone and looked up the parts for a 2016 Charger Pursuit, RWD, 5.7L.

If I get the rotors, calipers (reman), brackets (reman), pads and brake lines from a parts house and the shields from Mopar, the cost is about $555 and has free shipping..provided Autozone accepts my core. The mopar kit consisting of all new parts is $710.

First Question: Has anyone used the remanufactured calipers from a parts house instead of getting a new one from Mopar ? Any issues ?

Second Question: Autozone has a hefty core charge of $88 per caliper. If I don’t return the core the price of a ‘bracketed unloaded’ caliper is the same as Ma Mopar which makes getting the calipers from AZ even less attractive. Will Autozone accept a 2011 single piston caliper in lieu of the 2016 dual piston Charger caliper ?

Third Question: I am going to assume that the material in the mopar rotors and pads were tested and found to work well together. Can I assume that to be true if I buy the same ‘line’ of rotor and pad from a parts house ? For example, if I buy the ‘Duralast Gold’ rotor and Duralast Gold pads is this the correct combination ? Alternatively I could get the AZ “GT Street” rotors (14.5”) which are slotted and the matching GT Street Pads..but now I have to decide if slotted is really an improvement or not. Decisions, decisions.

Four: If it is ‘better’ to get a new caliper instead of a reman one, I can still save quite a bit of money by getting rotors and brake line from a parts house. Is this a common approach? I think it was somewhere around $150 savings if I did that.

complete front BR9 mopar kit, P5160035AB 708.96

Mopar Individual prices
Rotor-Brake 68184337AA or AB 1 152.22
Caliper Brake Right 68245095AB 1 171
Caliper Brake Left 68245094AA 1 171
Caliper Mount Adapter 68245117AA 1 48.2
Pad Kit Front Disc Brake 68245089AA 1 86
Splash Shield Left 68217407AA 1 8.26
Splash Shield Right 68217406AA 1 9.44
brake Line right 68252498AA 1 71.92
brake line left 68252489AA 1 70.27

AutoZone parts
Rotor-Brake-GT Street 72137GT 1 99.99
Caliper Bracketed unloaded right reman 18-B5496 1 82.99
Caliper Bracketed Unloaded Left reman 18-B5497 1 82.99
Caliper Mount Adapter 0 1 0
Pad Kit Front GT Street GT1767 1 111.99
Splash Shield Left 0 1 8
Splash Shield Right 0 1 9.44
brake Line right 79198 1 29.99
brake line left 79197 1 29.99

thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have a complete BB kit with adapters, pads and dimpled/slotted rotors for sale. Came off my 10 Challenger.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,312 Posts
Just measure the rotors you have. These are 14.5" or 390mm. The REAR brake upgrade is a larger diameter rotor (same thickness) and just a caliper bracket change.
MCM,
You might want to check your math: 390mm is the 15.4 dia. 2 piece rotors standard on the SRT and Hellcat.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Hi,
My car is a 2011 Challenger R/T Classic with STP and it is time for new brakes. I have decided to put the Pursuit BR9 brakes (front and rear) on it but this post only deals with the fronts.

I confess I didn’t read all 40+ pages, and this thread has been ‘dead’ since 2017 but I did read quite a few of the pages, plus I searched but didn’t find answers to what I am curious about. I’m hoping someone has some additional insight.

From various forums (including this thread) it appears that I can purchase the complete Mopar kit (part number P5160035AB) for around $710 plus shipping. This will get me all NEW parts: Rotos, Calipers, Brackets, Pads, Shields, and brake lines. Included in that cost is a $20 per caliper Core charge. To install the parts I may then need to increase the diameter of the mounting holes on the Challenger to take the bolts for the new caliper mounts but other than that it is a simple parts swap and bleed.

A lot of people comment about buying replacement parts on-line or from parts houses to save money so I thought I would look up the prices at the major parts houses to see what the cost difference is. Based upon this information I would decide where / what to purchase. But the more I dig into it the more questions I have.

For parts houses I started with AutoZone and looked up the parts for a 2016 Charger Pursuit, RWD, 5.7L.

If I get the rotors, calipers (reman), brackets (reman), pads and brake lines from a parts house and the shields from Mopar, the cost is about $555 and has free shipping..provided Autozone accepts my core. The mopar kit consisting of all new parts is $710.

First Question: Has anyone used the remanufactured calipers from a parts house instead of getting a new one from Mopar ? Any issues ?

Second Question: Autozone has a hefty core charge of $88 per caliper. If I don’t return the core the price of a ‘bracketed unloaded’ caliper is the same as Ma Mopar which makes getting the calipers from AZ even less attractive. Will Autozone accept a 2011 single piston caliper in lieu of the 2016 dual piston Charger caliper ?

Third Question: I am going to assume that the material in the mopar rotors and pads were tested and found to work well together. Can I assume that to be true if I buy the same ‘line’ of rotor and pad from a parts house ? For example, if I buy the ‘Duralast Gold’ rotor and Duralast Gold pads is this the correct combination ? Alternatively I could get the AZ “GT Street” rotors (14.5”) which are slotted and the matching GT Street Pads..but now I have to decide if slotted is really an improvement or not. Decisions, decisions.

Four: If it is ‘better’ to get a new caliper instead of a reman one, I can still save quite a bit of money by getting rotors and brake line from a parts house. Is this a common approach? I think it was somewhere around $150 savings if I did that.

complete front BR9 mopar kit, P5160035AB 708.96

Mopar Individual prices
Caliper Brake Right 68245095AB 1 171
Caliper Brake Left 68245094AA 1 171
Pad Kit Front Disc Brake 68245089AA 1 86
Splash Shield Left 68217407AA 1 8.26
Splash Shield Right 68217406AA 1 9.44
brake Line right 68252498AA 1 71.92
brake line left 68252489AA 1 70.27

AutoZone parts
Caliper Bracketed unloaded right reman 18-B5496 1 82.99
Caliper Bracketed Unloaded Left reman 18-B5497 1 82.99
Pad Kit Front GT Street GT1767 1 111.99
Splash Shield Left 0 1 8
Splash Shield Right 0 1 9.44
brake Line right 79198 1 29.99
brake line left 79197 1 29.99

thanks in advance for any insight.
Be advised that most (and I mean every parts place I checked with) has the wrong parts listed for the 2014-2016 Charger Police brake package - it was the same as the Challenger R/T part numbers when they crossed them. It might have been corrected now, but be careful. If I had it to do over again, I'd just get the Mopar kit, but I'd still get the Power Stop pads. The Raybestos police pads I bought the first time around made WAY too much dust.

Also, I still have the drill bit which I'll never use again. If you want it, It's yours for $20 shipped.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Be advised that most (and I mean every parts place I checked with) has the wrong parts listed for the 2014-2016 Charger Police brake package - it was the same as the Challenger R/T part numbers when they crossed them. It might have been corrected now, but be careful. If I had it to do over again, I'd just get the Mopar kit, but I'd still get the Power Stop pads. The Raybestos police pads I bought the first time around made WAY too much dust.

Also, I still have the drill bit which I'll never use again. If you want it, It's yours for $20 shipped.

sucks to hear that about the parts. the descriptions sure read correctly but the more I think about it, I think I will use the MOPAR kit. Cut back on some luxury's for a couple weeks and I'll save the extra monies.

As for the drill bit, thanks for the offer but I have access to a machine shop for bits.

·
Registered
2016 RT
107 Posts
After reading this confusing thread I think I'll just go with the Wilwood big brake kits from Steve White $3800

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
After reading this confusing thread I think I'll just go with the Wilwood big brake kits from Steve White $3800
It's pretty simple, just get the Mopar big brake kit for $800. Depending on the year of the car I can help you with the rest. If it's an early car like mine, you'll need to drill out the 2 mounting holes in the upright from 1/2" to 9/16" - I have the bit still and will send it to you for $20. For the rears, just get the 2007 Charger police car rear caliper brackets and matching rotors. One thing I WILL say is get the Powerstop pads so you have great braking and no brake dust. You can do the whole thing for around $1200 - no need to waste the extra $2600 unless you just want to say you have Wilwood brakes.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
It's pretty simple, just get the Mopar big brake kit for $800. Depending on the year of the car I can help you with the rest. If it's an early car like mine, you'll need to drill out the 2 mounting holes in the upright from 1/2" to 9/16" - I have the bit still and will send it to you for $20. For the rears, just get the 2007 Charger police car rear caliper brackets and matching rotors. One thing I WILL say is get the Powerstop pads so you have great braking and no brake dust. You can do the whole thing for around $1200 - no need to waste the extra $2600 unless you just want to say you have Wilwood brakes.
And with the extra $$ you save, you can have the calipers powder coated like I did for a couple of hundred bucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 RT
107 Posts
Can I get rotors slotted?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Buy mine for $750 shipped. 4 dimpled/slotted rotors, pads, brackets and front adapters.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bringing this thread back up:)

Did anyone tried the Rotorpros rotor and pads for the rear? How is their ceramic pads?

401 - 418 of 418 Posts