Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 rt plus challenger usually gives me 330 miles to the gallon but as of recently it's only been giving me 198, my oil change isn't due for another 200 miles I only have 37400 miles on the OD and was wondering why. I've heard that it's because it's unusually cold in Nashville and so the gas mix is really crappy and I also need to change my air filter. I've searched up and down and still can't find a solution any help?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Change or clean air filter should help some...use premium gas...keep all 4 tires inflated at or very near the same pressure...I live in NE Ohio...very cold frigid snowy winters...never drove my Challenger in the winter...but drove my charger in the winter...I too would notice a decrease in winter normally 20-35 miles...but your change is over 130 miles per full tank...that's a lot! I really would start with that...maybe a bottle of a Techron to clean the system the little...I would notice slight gains with it...nothing over whelming

·
Registered
413 Posts
My 2012 rt plus challenger usually gives me 330 miles to the gallon but as of recently it's only been giving me 198, my oil change isn't due for another 200 miles I only have 37400 miles on the OD and was wondering why. I've heard that it's because it's unusually cold in Nashville and so the gas mix is really crappy and I also need to change my air filter. I've searched up and down and still can't find a solution any help?
Have you changed your spark plugs yet they only last about every 30k per the book I just changed mine and picked up 1.4 mpg

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Many short trips in very cold weather will deep-six your fuel economy. Essentially, you're spending more gas just to heat that big iron block up to nominal temp each time than actual travel distance. "Winter gas" with lower energy content and frequent crawling in stop'n'go traffic will further take its toll on mpg.

I've pondered the idea on what is the potential benefits of using a block heater during the winter season... Most people don't "need" one because the climate is not that frigid. It's more about just preheating the block so warm-up time is minimized. It's a different take on applying "electric hybrid" to a car, right? ;) The electric isn't directly for mobility, but it should help mpg for a certain kind of scenario...plus you don't carry the sheer weight (or cost) in battery packs and electric motors. It's just enough to quickly get the block up to temp to minimize its sapping effect on initial mpg.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's all due to the cold weather combined with the winter gas mix. Nothing is wrong with your car. I'm struggling to get 15mpg with my truck and I typically get around 18mpg with it in the summer.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The only drastic MPG loss I have ever seen was on my 92 Camaro, it went from 21 MPG down to about 15 MPG, a new O2 sensor fixed it, when they go bad the engine defaults to running rich.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
WOAH!! 330 MPG?? Whats your secret?!? lol

There are many things that can affect your mileage but that drastic of a change over one tank would lead me to believe something is wrong.

Your not getting any codes? Have you been using the same gas station? Possibly just a tank of bad gas, try another station for your next fill up.

Low tire pressure can REALLY mess with your gas so I would start there.
Warming your car up longer will kill mileage as well.
Spark plugs need to be changed at 30k

1 - 7 of 7 Posts