Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is john and I'm new to this website. I'm a potential r/t owner. I love the challenger, especially with r/t stripes! Ive been scouring through these forums for a while learning a ton of things. I wanted to ask, what is the potential of the 5.7 performance wise? Is it a good base to build upon and does it respond well to mods? I know I could get an srt with tons of power stock, or get a different car that is faster and cheaper, but i just love the looks of the rt classic sooooo much. The rt already has some really nice performance specs stock but I was just curious.

Thanks all,
John

Reactions: Locko

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Yes, you can do all kinds of stuff. The 5.7 is great. On the other hand an SRT is a great car too.

Reactions: 1 person

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
These cars have good intakes, exhausts. Real power gains come from blowers and NO2. Blowers cost a lot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Your looking at shorty headers, an exhaust, a CAI, and a tune. Probably buy you 30-40 H/P at the end of the day, so your pushing 405-410. that's no slouch, but the 'Maro is pushing 426 at 200 lbs lighter, and the Stang 420 at 600 lbs lighter. So if you like street racing- and who does :slap:, maybe not the top of the heap. if you like a little ricer, or bmw frying, along with some open road blasts, this may be it! 2015 R/T is coming with the 392 rated at 485. How deep are your pockets?

·
Registered
675 Posts
My motto is always start by buying the most horsepower that you can afford then go from there!
If you can afford the SRT, then start there. Otherwise buy the R/t and save up for mods! Nitrous is still the cheapest way to go fast but a lot of people are afraid of it, mostly those that have never used it.

Whatever you decide, good luck and start modding!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Don't forget about the Core. There are plenty of '14 Core 392s sitting on dealer lots. You can prolly grab one for under $38k. I wish I had a 392. But I need all those extras and that means a SRT 392 for over $45k and that's not in the budget :(

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
If I had to boil it all down and give a final opinion I would say the tipping point would be brakes. For about 12k I got heads, cam, long tube headers, and supercharger installed. That combination put me at 516 HP to the wheels. That is about 100 more HP than a stock SRT. That funding put me at 37k all in. At that point the R/T was worth it to me. I then went and had some SRT takeoff Brembo brakes installed. That cost me $2500 parts and about $1800 labor. So $4300 later I have 41k spent on my RT. I have Brembo brakes and 100 horse more than a stock SRT costing 45k plus tax tag and title. Starting to split hairs at this point. Now I could have saved a sizeable amount of money if I did all project at one time. The supercharger install would've been almost free if I did it when I had the cam and heads done. Almost half of the money spent upgrading my car was labor. Keep that in mind as well. Do what you can on your own and save nearly 50% of the costs.

I am very happy with my car and very happy with the results. I like a "simple" muscle car so the options presented with the SRT are of no importance to me. The only option my car has is the sunroof. I bought the car used and decided the sunroof wouldn't kill the deal even though I'd prefer a car without one. Come to find out I actually enjoy the sunroof more than I thought I would. Still won't have one on my next car though.

So if you just do HP mods the R/T will more than likely be the better horsepower to dollar bet. Especially if you buy a lightly option R/T for inexpensive.

Looking back on it knowing what I know now. I probably would buy a used SRT or SRT Core. Put on some form of forced induction along with a cam and a set of drop in pistons then call it a day. That route may have cost me a little more money but I would probably be better off in the end. Though I would not have been driving my car for the past two years and having fun watching the projects grow as I'd still be saving for an SRT.

So basically you can't go wrong with either. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
380 Posts
It depends on the elevation at which you live as to how much the various mods will give you also. One guy stated his cat-back exhaust gave him 30 hp to the wheels and had dyno sheets to back it up. But he was at sea level. And of course, you are taking his word that was the only mods the car had at the time. And again assuming that is true, how much could you stand to gain from a 392 at sea level?

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, some awesome and constructive feedback so far. The new 2015 8 speed 392 R/T is tempting, but i feel it will be kind of overpriced..... also, I don't need all the fancy bells and whistles of the new 2015 challenger. I feel like with the money I save by buying a current model challenger I can get some serious performance modifications.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
that's a good price! Glad i got the deal i did, or would be hating life right now.! :banana:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Mine is a bare bones RT and I only raced one coyote powered Mustang, he got the holeshot by 1/2 a car but I reeled him in and won by .04 in the 1/8. Pretty sure his was a stick cause everytime he shifted I gained on him. That was the only time I've run this year and weather was funky, had to run my defroster.Also beat a 2011 Camaro SS, but he missed a shift and an older Mustang 95-99, not a Cobra, he wasn't even close.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice. I feel like people underestimate the rt. I've looked through this website and have found a lot of people that get low 13 second 1/4 miles and low 5 second 0-60 stock. Granted they must be good drivers. Sure the camaro and mustang are faster stock, but when you
get into big performance mods the 30 or so hp those cars have over the rt won't mean a whole lot. There is the weight thing, the challenger rt is only about 400 pounds heavier than the 2013 gt but is actually lighter than the 2013 ss (according to edmunds)! Even with the weight, the hemi sounds like it can handle it quite well. I am excited to get an rt :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Very nice. I feel like people underestimate the rt. I've looked through this website and have found a lot of people that get low 13 second 1/4 miles and low 5 second 0-60 stock. Granted they must be good drivers. Sure the camaro and mustang are faster stock, but when you
get into big performance mods the 30 or so hp those cars have over the rt won't mean a whole lot. There is the weight thing, the challenger rt is only about 400 pounds heavier than the 2013 gt but is actually lighter than the 2013 ss (according to edmunds)! Even with the weight, the hemi sounds like it can handle it quite well. I am excited to get an rt :)
Word man. I came from a 2003 SVT Lightning to a 2014 RT and this car feels just as strong as my Lightning did and my Lightning put out 378rwhp and 444ft-lbs of torque on a Mustang dyno. My RT has the looks and good power, I really don't need or want anything else. Also, I love how that Hemi 5.7L sounds when you row through the 6 speed!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Guys have gotten under 5 seconds for 0-60 with stock R/Ts. Right driver, right conditions. Get an RT and mod it. I thought seriously about trading up to a Core and passed. It's fun to make the car your car by adding the modifications you want. The RT is a great car. BTW, I've also owned Coyote 5.0 powered Mustangs and prefer my RT.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
same 5.7 they put in the rams. its built tough in my opinion. Using this same though process, i would assume it would lend itself very well to mods like blowers. I read in the past that the cylinders walls are a good thickness in the 5.7's where the 392's are bored out more, make more power but have thinner walls. I suppose its a give and take.

Overall, the challenger RT is a good car. I like mine despite the hiccups. I am a modder and tinkerer. I seriously can't stop fixing things that aren't broken. If you plan to change it, you better know how to do it through and through or have someone who knows do it.

If i had the 7 grand or whatever it is to get an edelbrock e-force SC i would do it. I wouldn't do it myself but i would bring it to a speedshop to do it or have the dealer do it. Some dealers will install SC's for your challenger and warranty it too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts