Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CHALLENGER SXT BLKTP PKG
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I am currently on the hunt to trade in my 2018 SXT blacktop package (photo below) and am on the fence about what to purchase. I really wanted an R/T shaker at first but after doing some research I came to the conclusion that I could opt for a scat pack widebody for a pretty similar price. What would you Mopar experts suggest? I am waiting till the mid-end of the year to let these prices cool off a bit. Also thinking about putting the performance spoiler onto my car until I trade it in to hold me over. Don't get me wrong, I love my SXT but I am definitely ready to have a V8 that I've always dreamed of.

(My current 2018 SXT w/ blacktop package)
Sky Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T
486 Posts
Sharp car, love the stance!

I'm old school retro, love the Shaker, the Bushwacker fender flares on a wide body, not as much so. With the Scat you get more power, however since I only DD my car with an occasional spirted drive I find the R/T is more then enough power to get me into and or out of trouble. More of a personal preference of what you want. Wide body with power to spare or classic look. Not an easy choice for most.

As I said before I'm into retro, love the look of a Shaker wish I would have gotten one myself.

·
Registered
2019 392 Shaker
354 Posts
Presuming when you say RT you mean the 5.7 since the Scat is also at RT. For an everyday car the 5.7 is a much more balanced machine.
I also wouldn't want a Challenger without a Shaker. I also prefer the Challenger without the Camaro flares.
My vote is Shaker 5.7 .

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Your sxt looks great. The spoiler you have looks better, leave it alone.
I can see you in black again with shaker and black r/t stripe. Then again, if you could swing a SPWBS that’s not bad either.

Reactions: marpow

·
Registered
51 Posts
We have the 2021 SP Shaker - Get what you want - I traded a 2018 5.7 RT for the SP before they go away. We didn't get the wide body but I do recommend getting the 275 tires vs the 245's.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Your money, your call. I went Wide Body Scat Pack Shaker optioned to the hilt. I do wish they would have offered Sublime Green or Plum Crazy again though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Everyone gets hyper-focused on the fender flares with a widebody, but just wanted to point out the widebody package is a whole suspension upgrade, not just fender flares and wider tires/wheels. Personally I wouldn't have it without, but to each their own.

The 5.7 is definitely enough for a DD. They are plenty fun and fast. But if you are already considering a scat pack, you will probably always be wondering what you are missing. Test drive both, if you can, to get an idea of what you want. If the SPWBS is a similar price to the R/T Shaker, that is either a crazy marked up R/T or a great price on the SPWBS. The widebody is a $6k premium on top of the premium you are already paying for the 6.4L vs the 5.7L.

Personally, if you can afford it now and the option is there, I say go for it. Nobody knows what the future will hold, and if last year serves as any indication, you may not have the option if you wait too long.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Everyone gets hyper-focused on the fender flares with a widebody, but just wanted to point out the widebody package is a whole suspension upgrade, not just fender flares and wider tires/wheels. Personally I wouldn't have it without, but to each their own.

The 5.7 is definitely enough for a DD. They are plenty fun and fast. But if you are already considering a scat pack, you will probably always be wondering what you are missing. Test drive both, if you can, to get an idea of what you want. If the SPWBS is a similar price to the R/T Shaker, that is either a crazy marked up R/T or a great price on the SPWBS. The widebody is a $6k premium on top of the premium you are already paying for the 6.4L vs the 5.7L.

Personally, if you can afford it now and the option is there, I say go for it. Nobody knows what the future will hold, and if last year serves as any indication, you may not have the option if you wait too long.
+1 - I have a buddy with a hellcat and he likes the standard body; I would not have bought anything but a widebody - just think it looks awesome; especially in Plum Crazy. There are plenty of photos of various colors and combinations, so you should be able to get a good visual and decide from there; that said, I love the standard body lowered like the black one in the thread - looks awesome.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Hood
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
2020 Sinamon Stick Widebody
143 Posts
Seems to me that many of the folks that have the standard body try to passionately justify the standard body or knock the widebody. They are both still in the end Challengers and both styles are beautiful machines to me. I've had two standard body and one widebody and loved them all. In the end it I believe it comes down to what you as an individual wants or what catches your eye and also the packages you want added or can afford. Personally I would love the shaker package but in my latest purchase the money went for the widebody for the suspension and handling and also the appearance attracts me. I would never knock anyones ride. Such a wide variety to fit the tastes of everyone.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat / 2022 Challenger Redeye Widebody
133 Posts
If buying new, it pays to order or buy sooner than later. In many markets, they're charging added dealer markups for every model of car... to include the SXTs. The longer you wait, the higher ADM you may end up having to pay. I say this because 2022 is the last year to buy one of these cars for a sensible price. The last year to buy one for a good deal was in 2021. 2022 is the year of no incentives. 2023 will be the year of the over-inflated ADM, last model year price gouging.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
25 Posts
I am older and could have bought either car in Nov 2020 when I was shopping for mine. I wanted the old 'muscle car' feel that my 1st gen 'Cuda gave me way back in the day. I do NOT race so that eliminated the Scat Pack immediately for me. I test drove several 5.7 Hemi cars and it is more than enough power. The 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for the R/T are incredibly close to the original 1st gen 440 or 426 power plants. Although gas should not really be a reason when choosing a muscle car, it is kind of nice putting mid-grade 89 in your tank instead of the premium. I've had to put 93 in my Trans Am for 20 years now so this mid-grade is almost a 'bonus'. The owner's manual recommends it.

Now for the options: The upgraded suspension is a MUST for handling IMO. It was a $1,595 option for 2020. I also got the 'plus' package at $3,195. The Shaker package was $2,595. I ordered other 'goodies' too which made my R/T the exact muscle car I wanted. Zero disappointments except for the 4 cylinder mode which is annoying to me. It's easy to put the car in manual mode so I overcome that. I didn't want another manual car as I own a manual Mustang already.

Good luck with everything. It is an extremely personal decision with many differing opinions out there. Whatever works for you.

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Car
Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2021 Challenger RT Shaker 5.7 Hemi
276 Posts
I love my 2021 Challenger RT Shaker 5.7 A8, so very cool all the time. I have no regrets. It's fast as heck, looks and sounds beautiful. Have saved money with the RT to do all my little bling mods that I am having fun with. Insurance is not too bad.
Looking at other cars on this forum, so many cool ones, wide body, shaker, I like them all and the colors are all so cool.
I will say, I tend to like the ones with badging and striping vs just one color. I also would not add the extension to the existing spoiler.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

·
Premium Member
2021 Challenger RT Shaker 5.7 Hemi
276 Posts
Now for the options: The upgraded suspension is a MUST for handling IMO. It was a $1,595 option for 2020. I also got the 'plus' package at $3,195. The Shaker package was $2,595. I ordered other 'goodies' too which made my R/T the exact muscle car I wanted. Zero disappointments except for the 4 cylinder mode which is annoying to me. It's easy to put the car in manual mode so I overcome that. I didn't want another manual car as I own a manual Mustang already.
Totally agree, attached is a PDF of my window sticker, all cool things.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2021 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker WideBody M6 Black on Black.
61 Posts
I would have bought the standard body as well. If it had iy came with the 6 Piston Brembo's and the huge 15 plus inch rotors and the specialized suspension my SCWB comes with. Lest we forget 20x11 inch forged wheels as well. So yeah a widebody it is.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I am currently on the hunt to trade in my 2018 SXT blacktop package (photo below) and am on the fence about what to purchase. I really wanted an R/T shaker at first but after doing some research I came to the conclusion that I could opt for a scat pack widebody for a pretty similar price. What would you Mopar experts suggest? I am waiting till the mid-end of the year to let these prices cool off a bit. Also thinking about putting the performance spoiler onto my car until I trade it in to hold me over. Don't get me wrong, I love my SXT but I am definitely ready to have a V8 that I've always dreamed of.

(My current 2018 SXT w/ blacktop package)
View attachment 1040899
Why not get a SPWB shaker?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
2011 SXT
3,304 Posts
When you see this kind of question being asked it's hard to keep a neutral stance and many of course has their preferences they will respond with. When your moving towards an upgraded model it's going to come down to a few things you need to factor and only you can do that.

Compare the Models on the Dodge Build your own site Build & Price a 2021 Dodge Challenger today! | Dodge you can save the link on the bottom of the page and bookmark them for review. If your planing on doing upgrade which model comes already closer matched to your idea candidate that will take less money to mod and make it the perfect car or as is. This includes Horsepower, Brakes, and Options... Then Test Drive the different models as close as to what you come up with.

If you got a Scat Pack R/T Shaker Widebody you get a 392 Hemi 485hp as is, you get larger Brakes which with more HP you want more braking power. Now with that in mind the Wide Body's are not everyone's cup of Tea. What to keep in mind the Wide Body is that WIDER meaning you have to get use to its handling differences and keep in mind it is wider so Curb Rash can happen and has with some. Scuffing up wheels , Air Dam, also the steering is a bit different feeling cant describe it you need to test drive them to know what I mean. If you get one of these id sugguest right off a set of Rim savers on the Wheels asap.

A Base R/T 5.7 345 Hemi 372 to 375 hp stock you can get with the Shaker you can get with the Brakes upgrade, and wide body as well. A 5.7 is a solid very solid engine down the road its a great engine to mod as well for power as there are tons and tons of performance upgrades available for it. The Engine can push a lot of HP and hold up well for future mods as well so dont under estimate them,

If the most desired car as is falls also in your budget then get it if not, make sure what you get will not be a issue financially if hardship or something down the road changes, income, etc., I have seen some go get the car they want but something changed and they had to move on and get rid of it. This does happen time to time and not expected.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like ALL Challengers - even the 1st Gen ones. I looked at several and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I ordered what I wanted. I got a '21 SPWB in F8. I wanted the extra handling that the WideBody with the 305/35/20's provide. I understand that it will never handle like a Vette, or Viper, but it handles damn good for a muscle car with room for 4 and a trunk.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts