Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
834 Posts
I like all the Challengers, but ultimately I prefer old school style so I prefer the standard body. I work in a dealership, so I have driven all the Challenger models, from SXT to Super Stock, Scat Pack Wide Body and other models. I agree that you need to test drive the models that interest you the most before making a decision. Also, look at the packages that are offered to get a better idea of what you will have to spend to get exactly what you want. I bought my Challenger out of our stock, but it was loaded with everything that I would have ordered and buying from in stock made for a better price and no waiting.
An R/T can be optioned up to have almost everything that a Scat Pack has, without the bigger engine. This could save you some money if you don't want or need the extra 110 horsepower. If you think you will want the additional power, cheaper to buy it now. If you want a Wide Body, you are going to have to get the Scat Pack. It is a great car, drives a bit different from the standard body model, and benefits from the additional traction in handling and acceleration. A Wide Body owner once told me "Once you go to a Wide Body, you'll never go back to the narrow body". As long as you get the Challenger you want and can afford, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
2011 SXT
3,243 Posts
I like ALL Challengers - even the 1st Gen ones. I looked at several and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I ordered what I wanted. I got a '21 SPWB in F8. I wanted the extra handling that the WideBody with the 305/35/20's provide. I understand that it will never handle like a Vette, or Viper, but it handles damn good for a muscle car with room for 4 and a trunk.
Room for 4 Full Grown Adults Nope not hardly , trunk is same on all challengers for storage...

·
Registered
2019 392 Shaker
335 Posts
Everyone gets hyper-focused on the fender flares with a widebody, but just wanted to point out the widebody package is a whole suspension upgrade, not just fender flares and wider tires/wheels. Personally I wouldn't have it without, but to each their own.

The 5.7 is definitely enough for a DD. They are plenty fun and fast. But if you are already considering a scat pack, you will probably always be wondering what you are missing. Test drive both, if you can, to get an idea of what you want. If the SPWBS is a similar price to the R/T Shaker, that is either a crazy marked up R/T or a great price on the SPWBS. The widebody is a $6k premium on top of the premium you are already paying for the 6.4L vs the 5.7L.

Personally, if you can afford it now and the option is there, I say go for it. Nobody knows what the future will hold, and if last year serves as any indication, you may not have the option if you wait too long.
I get focused on the flares because that's what I see. I do not care about all the other stuff mentioned if I can not pallet the looks.
I bought the 6.4 after the 5.7 was totaled. I made so much fuss about getting the bigger engine, nothing else would do. I was wrong, the 5.7 was a better all around daily car. Ride, handling, performance, economics, all better for basic cruising.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,336 Posts
Lot's of choices and options to consider.

Any version Challenger can't be pushed to its potential on a regular basis on the street.

My suggestion to the OP is pick the one that makes you grin and fits your budget.

I've had my "bare bones" SP standard body for over 6 years.

If I was ordering again today, I wouldn't change a thing.

Yep, that happy with it in every way.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lot's of choices and options to consider.

Any version Challenger can't be pushed to its potential on a regular basis on the street.

My suggestion to the OP is pick the one that makes you grin and fits your budget.

I've had my "bare bones" SP standard body for over 6 years.

If I was ordering again today, I wouldn't change a thing.

Yep, that happy with it in every way.

View attachment 1040933 View attachment 1040934
Beautiful car....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, room for four adults, but theoretically only, I am 6'3", and I run the seat all the way back and my seat back touches the rear seat cushion. I have used the build and price on the Dodge website and it is very helpful to get an idea of what you might like and are willing to pay for. They all look good to me, but I lean towards unadorned, no loud expensive stickers. I would also say the standard Scat Pack has plenty of handling and braking, I have driven many a tight mountain road in Northern California, and it can carry plenty of speed.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
91 Posts
I get focused on the flares because that's what I see. I do not care about all the other stuff mentioned if I can not pallet the looks.
I bought the 6.4 after the 5.7 was totaled. I made so much fuss about getting the bigger engine, nothing else would do. I was wrong, the 5.7 was a better all around daily car. Ride, handling, performance, economics, all better for basic cruising.
That's great that you have found what works best for you. The 5.7 is a fine daily driver. I've owned several. It's fine to express opinions about what you like/dislike. Some people take it a little too extreme and just about talk down to anyone choosing the WB, so my comment was more about the general sentiment I've seen on this forum.

·
Registered
2011 SXT
3,243 Posts
If I was going to get a 2022 this would be what id go with but find a set of the R/T Classic Wheels for it, id de badge the Hemi on the Fenders and add Classic Challenger Emblems keeping it clean and finally paint the Calipers with a light Petty Blue. Id also get and install the Petty Blue Strut Tower Braces for improved handling.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
2020 Sinamon Stick Widebody
143 Posts
Like I mentioned before, i've had both 5.7 and 6.4, standard and wide. Both made fine daily drivers. I put about 100 miles a day on my Scat Widebody and it rides just as smooth and comfortable as my 5.7 did. No complaints with either though.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
383 Posts
I went with a wide body because it offered better suspension and brakes as standard. Plus, there are far fewer wide bodies here in Redding, CA. But in the end, it’s what YOU like the most. Good luck and have fun

- Bill D

·
Registered
2009 Challenger RT
152 Posts
If I was going to get a 2022 this would be what id go with but find a set of the R/T Classic Wheels for it, id de badge the Hemi on the Fenders and add Classic Challenger Emblems keeping it clean and finally paint the Calipers with a light Petty Blue. Id also get and install the Petty Blue Strut Tower Braces for improved handling. View attachment 1040936
That’s why I like mine and it’s a 2009

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 392 Shaker
335 Posts
That's great that you have found what works best for you. The 5.7 is a fine daily driver. I've owned several. It's fine to express opinions about what you like/dislike. Some people take it a little too extreme and just about talk down to anyone choosing the WB, so my comment was more about the general sentiment I've seen on this forum.
BUT I have the 6.4. No regrets. I could have been just as happy or happier with the 5.7.

Yet I also wanted a 1320 just because. Go figure.

·
Registered
2021 Frostbite SP M6
44 Posts
I too was undecided about a 5.7 or a 6.4. My ideal car would have been a 5.7 M6 Shaker w/performance package and cold weather group. Ordering one was looking like a real crap shoot. After looking for four months and not finding one in a color I liked I got a M6 SP standard body. Prices were going up and I was afraid that after getting used to the 5.7 I'd want more HP, even though I don't plan to race. I'd say, find one as close to what you want as you can and get it while you can. Honestly, while test driving both the 5.7 and the 6.4, both were plenty of fun for me.

·
Registered
2018 CHALLENGER SXT BLKTP PKG
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Does anyone have any experience installing a shaker onto a non shaker challenger? Just a thought if I do get a widebody scat for a good price

21 - 40 of 63 Posts