Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How you doing fellas.. I've got a question to see if anyone else has had this problem and if so, what was the fix. And if anyone has not had this problem what do you think that it could be. I've got a 13 challenger r/t 6spd. 6k miles. From the first week I had the car I encountered the first issue; whenever I would be in first gear and letting the car roll itself without being on the throttle such as going through a parking lot, whenever I would press the clutch in there is a loud knock noise coming from the rear end. I feel like it does this under load when I press the clutch in. Also does this when in reverse, and once again whenever I press the clutch in I get a knock noise. I took it to the dealership, they put it on the hoist checked everything over and said they couldn't find anything and that if it got worse bring it back. Well it's 5 months later, yes that noise is still there and more aggravating along with another tranny issue. Whenever I go from 1st to 2nd gear there is a crunch in the gear, and the same for 3rd and 4th. It isn't a grind noise such as when you'd mis-shift, but just a crunch that is audible and tangible. I have an appointment at the dealership to take it in, but I just wanted to see if anyone on here may know. Dealership told me synchro's may be tore up. My question is why would a brand new car already be having synchro/clutch/rear end issues? Also, I have not driven the car hard or anything like that. Some expertise would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
well i have a R/T with a 6speed and i have heard the sounds you have with the rear end. If you are under load (clutch out) and not on the the accel pedal. at low speeds when you press the clutch you can hear the drivetrain disconnect. I wouldnt worry. however the crunch betwen gears is new for me. The shifter both stock and Hurst can be a bit noisy. But that is heard right at the shifter, not in the rear end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. whenever I'm not on the accelerator it isn't going slow enough to where it's going to stall, and when I press the clutch it makes the knock in the rear end that just doesn't sound normal. As far as the gear thing, again, it's a grind noise. It happens when it's cold/hot all times of day. And it seems to be getting worse, because it started off just doing it in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The 6m is known to make clunking sounds and it is even mentioned in the owners manual. The 6060 gear box is known to be notchy when cold at the 1-2 shift. Are you sure your RT is really defective or just not as precise as an import? Please let us know what the dealer says. BTW is it cold where you drive? Perhaps you need to warm it up longer. Even in FLA I have to baby it until it's up to temperature.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Challenger RT Clacking in Rear End

Don't mean to dig this up, but what did you come up with when you brought it in. I had the same thing and they said the drive-shaft was rattling so they replaced it as well as some other misc. rear end hardware. It didn't really solve the problem. I test drove another RT six speed and it had the same noise. So I'm still living with it, when I have time I'll bring it back in but it would help if I have a potential solution in mind.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Anything to update this with? My car started to do this today. 2nd and 3rd are rough. I wonder if it's a sign that the fluid might need to be changed. I can do that but since I put the McLeod clutch in it, I'm worried my warranty might get voided if the trans is damaged. Anyone have anything to say about this?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Read through the thread and at first I'm thinking, newer owner, "driver mod" is in order. If the transition from clutch to throttle is a little out of step then the "clunk" is common. Driveline and gear lash with rubber isolators thrown in equates to some amount of slop much of which must be accepted because if that slop wasn't there a bunch of people would be complaining about vibration and drivetrain noise. Hence "driver mod" needed to recognize where, when and what actions need to be taken to make for smooth transitions if need be the case.

Then Hellride chimes in that he is getting the "crunch". Now I'm concerned as it should be common knowledge that he is quite familiar with his Challenger.

I get the "clunk" from time to time when I'm being lazy with the feet. The "crunch" is only when I'm in a hurry and temperatures are say in the low 40's and below and haven't let the driveline "assimilate" by warming it up first. Then 1-2, 2-3 "crunch" is common. Once the drivetrain is somewhat warmed then all is good and event free. On a warm tranny with an experienced driver at the pedals the "driver mod" needn't apply. Syncros come into question I believe at that point, unfortunately. You can try fluid though and let us know if there is a difference. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I'm going to switch my car the AmsOil ATF fluid and see what that does. I talked to another member and he said that it made a difference in his. AmsOil is quality stuff too so that's good. On a separate note though, I love my car.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
About all I can say is its normal and they all do it especially when hot creeping along in lots or traffic, yes I agree it sounds and feels like SH-T but that's the nature of the beast when you add up all the sloppy components like a 3 piece drive shaft with a center bearing mounted in rubber in the middle and sloppy shaft end plays in the trans = bum-putty bum on and off engagement...Obviously all those rubber isolators all over the chassis, shifter, the list goes on and on, there's for a reason "quite/comfort"....just ask the hop not guys...you gotta rob peter to pay Paul

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
I have 13k on mine and have the same clunk noise, there are a few threads about this

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
There are tons of threads over here about this same issue. It appears to be normal on all 6 speed Challengers.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
That's why I want to try the AmsOil since it's a better lubricant. Our factory fluids suck

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
That's why I want to try the AmsOil since it's a better lubricant. Our factory fluids suck
I use Amsoil multi-vehicl ATF and I am very happy with it. It took care of my 1-2 nibble shift. Some people say that Amsoil doesn't meet the ATF-4 specification. I don't know what to say about that. I only have 9000 miles on my car, but the shifting is quite smooth now. Others will say that the tranny shifts better with the more miles you put on it.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Lol Randy it was you I talked to

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the clunk and the 1-2 shift crunch when cold on my 2013 R/T as well, and have since new. The dealer says it's normal and as others have said, there are a lot of threads on here about this issue. I think it's poor quality and disappointing for a 'modern' car, but I've learned to really baby the clutch and it helps a bit. At least it's not as embarrassing as the horrible squeal coming from my brakes, which, of course, the dealer says is normal too.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
It's normal. My car has been doing it consistently regardless of temperature which isn't normal. When cold I avoid 2nd

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Lol Randy it was you I talked to
LOL, yeah probably so. I see so many names on this site, I forget who I talked with about what. At 55, my memory is not what it used to be. I wonder if amsoil makes something for that! LMAO

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
LOL, yeah probably so. I see so many names on this site, I forget who I talked with about what. At 55, my memory is not what it used to be. I wonder if amsoil makes something for that! LMAO
I wonder where I can go to get the best deal on AmsOil. I need to get the work done soon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts