Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How you doing fellas.. I've got a question to see if anyone else has had this problem and if so, what was the fix. And if anyone has not had this problem what do you think that it could be. I've got a 13 challenger r/t 6spd. 6k miles. From the first week I had the car I encountered the first issue; whenever I would be in first gear and letting the car roll itself without being on the throttle such as going through a parking lot, whenever I would press the clutch in there is a loud knock noise coming from the rear end. I feel like it does this under load when I press the clutch in. Also does this when in reverse, and once again whenever I press the clutch in I get a knock noise. I took it to the dealership, they put it on the hoist checked everything over and said they couldn't find anything and that if it got worse bring it back. Well it's 5 months later, yes that noise is still there and more aggravating along with another tranny issue. Whenever I go from 1st to 2nd gear there is a crunch in the gear, and the same for 3rd and 4th. It isn't a grind noise such as when you'd mis-shift, but just a crunch that is audible and tangible. I have an appointment at the dealership to take it in, but I just wanted to see if anyone on here may know. Dealership told me synchro's may be tore up. My question is why would a brand new car already be having synchro/clutch/rear end issues? Also, I have not driven the car hard or anything like that and the car is completely stock. Also I do not wind the gears out when I am changing them so it isn't like I am at 6k RPM's and shifting. Some expertise would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Just make sure you go on a test drive and show them the issues you are having.

Just throwing some darts here.

I have not had any problems before with mine but it sounds as though something in the drive-train is not releasing the load correctly.

Heard of the rear drive shaft also having a problem on one that sounds similar. But nothing to do with grinding as you are describing.

"I would be in first gear and letting the car roll itself without being on the throttle such as going through a parking lot,"

This may be normal, as you are releasing a "loaded/UN-loaded" drive-train so some slap may be normal, sorry terms for a lack there of at the moment. Hard to tell without "hearing" it.
Its kinda like when the car chugs back in forth in gear.

Good Luck

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
My '11 R/T Classic has done that since day 1...and there was a slight 'whirr' noise right as the clutch would engage (you could hear if you had the door open)-I checked it out on a lift, had a local dealer check it also, nothing could be found...the car has just over 20,000 on it now, still makes the clunk, but never got any louder, never any adverse effects,so I guess it just ads character to the car...

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
The knock/clunk is normal.

The grinding/nibble should get better one the trans is broken in some more, but keep in mind it's not going to shift smooth if it's cold. I drive mine gingerly until the coolant is up to temp and then usually by then the trans fluid and had a chance to circulate and warm up. Once warmed up it shifts smooth as butter.

I have just under 30k miles.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I bet the clunk you're hearing is slack in the cradle bushings. Mine does the same thing, and wheel hop is horrible! I'll be investing in HopNot soon.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If I remember correctly, there are no connections between the body and rear cradle or diff. The cradle bushings just aren't designed to handle the driveline shock of a manual trans. I've got SRT 20s and my car will "cradle slap" in 1st and after a 1-2 shift. Hell it even does it on wet roads. I won't be going to the track until I get this issue fixed. BUT, its not a sign of a problem...just a design flaw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts