Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this am I shut off the engine of my 2009 Challenger R/T in a friend's driveway. Upon attempting to restart the engine it would turn over about twice then shut down. I suspect the Fuel Sensor Relay. Here's my question: The engine has a Diablo Performance Tune. Is it possible to return the engine tune to factory prior to having the vehicle towed to the dealer since it won't start? Or just bring the Diablo Tuner with me to the dealer and notify them of the performance tune and let them handle the situation? Although my car is 11 years old it only has 34,000 miles on the odometer. I take good care of it. This is the first time I've had problems. Please help. I understand a new TIPM is gonna cost me over $900. No telling how much more installation will be. I don't want to make it worse by attempting to reprogram the computer, only to create more problems.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,657 Posts
So this am I shut off the engine of my 2009 Challenger R/T in a friend's driveway. Upon attempting to restart the engine it would turn over about twice then shut down. I suspect the Fuel Sensor Relay. Here's my question: The engine has a Diablo Performance Tune. Is it possible to return the engine tune to factory prior to having the vehicle towed to the dealer since it won't start? Or just bring the Diablo Tuner with me to the dealer and notify them of the performance tune and let them handle the situation? Although my car is 11 years old it only has 34,000 miles on the odometer. I take good care of it. This is the first time I've had problems. Please help. I understand a new TIPM is gonna cost me over $900. No telling how much more installation will be. I don't want to make it worse by attempting to reprogram the computer, only to create more problems.
Not familiar with the R/T but with other cars the relays could be accessed and if necessary replaced. The relay panel may not be quite as easy to get to as the fuse box and of course one needs the relay diagram to know which is which.

In one case when a car died right after starting and I suspected a fuel pump a tech loaned me his bypass relay which I used to eliminate the fuel pump relay as being the culprit. Turned out to be a fuel pump.

The tech double checked the fuse (and probably the relay just to be thorough) then disconnected the fuel pump from wiring harness and fed it 12V shop power. The pump failed to run so he replaced the fuel pump.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
I don't believe the 5.7 monitors fuel pressure as you can disconnect power to the fuel pump and crank until the cows come home. Only thing that I can think of that will stop the engine from cranking is low voltage or the WIN module (loses connection with the key fob, can only be tested by dealership). BTW there was a TSB for the 2009 models where the ground cable would cause a significant voltage drop making hot start difficult. We are fortunate on the challengers that the relays are not soldered to the TIPM circuit board like other FCA models. First confirm your battery is good and that you don't get a significant drop in voltage during crank. Then check for fuel/spark and go from there.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
My 2009 R/T died on continuous starting recently as well. If your fuel pump doesn't hum or run and gas gauge displays empty with key on - then your original "Made in Mexico" fuel pump and gas gauge internal tank wiring are dry rotted and grounding out. Both my fuel pump and fuel filter canister (located behind passenger seat) were replaced because high pressure line to pump cracked when moved. I did both units for less than $180. Make sure new fuel pump is listed for 5.7 engine with 19 gallon tank - Amazon has many listings on line.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I don't believe the 5.7 monitors fuel pressure as you can disconnect power to the fuel pump and crank until the cows come home. Only thing that I can think of that will stop the engine from cranking is low voltage or the WIN module (loses connection with the key fob, can only be tested by dealership). BTW there was a TSB for the 2009 models where the ground cable would cause a significant voltage drop making hot start difficult. We are fortunate on the challengers that the relays are not soldered to the TIPM circuit board like other FCA models. First confirm your battery is good and that you don't get a significant drop in voltage during crank. Then check for fuel/spark and go from there.
View attachment 978574
I had this done back in the day to my newly purchased 09 R/T. Sold it recently with the ORIGINAL battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts