Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for a challenger and have been researching both trims noted on the title line. I know videos can have compression issues with portraying the exhaust notes for vehicles correctly but I am looking for about the best comparison sound clips or individual sounds clips for each trim that I can use to make my personal comparison of for research purposes. I have found a few R/T videos that sounded great and what I'd like to hear from each is as follows: Cold start, idle, cruising, hard acceleration, and revs while idling. Any video or sound clip links are much appreciated! My apologies if I'm being to particular about my research into both vehicles prior to purchase.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,581 Posts
Just listen to a Scat Pack video.

Then turn the volume way down and listen again for the R/T.
FYI in 2017 the RT exhaust system changed (active exhaust with 2.75in pipe) and is similar to the Scat Pack except for exhaust manifolds (Scats run shorties). So the +2017 RTs will sound more like a SCAT than the pre-2017s.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI in 2017 the RT exhaust system changed (active exhaust with 2.75in pipe) and is similar to the Scat Pack except for exhaust manifolds (Scats run shorties). So the +2017 RTs will sound more like a SCAT than the pre-2017s.
So would you suggest that the 2017 RT and 2016-18 RT Scat Pack sound very similar? Is the "butt dyno" in HP/TQ truly feel as different as the difference in numbers would suggest?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,581 Posts
So would you suggest that the 2017 RT and 2016-18 RT Scat Pack sound very similar? Is the "butt dyno" in HP/TQ truly feel as different as the difference in numbers would suggest?
I would say the +2017 sound better than the earlier years and have more of a growl like the SP.

As far as power, no change as the cast iron exhaust manifolds are used throughout all the 5.7 RT years.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say the +2017 sound better than the earlier years and have more of a growl like the SP.

As far as power, no change as the cast iron exhaust manifolds are used throughout all the 5.7 RT years.
What I meant by comparison in power was the feeling of pulling in an RT vs RT Scat Pack. I understand that this question would be solved by simply test driving one of each but they don't always let you get on it during the cruise.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,581 Posts
What I meant by comparison in power was the feeling of pulling in an RT vs RT Scat Pack. I understand that this question would be solved by simply test driving one of each but they don't always let you get on it during the cruise.
Oh, the difference between an RT and SP is night and day. The SP A8 pulls like a mother...as it should since it makes ~100HP more!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, the difference between an RT and SP is night and day. The SP A8 pulls like a mother...as it should since it makes ~100HP more!
I'll be coming from a 2014 Honda Civic so I believe they will both impress. Its just I can afford either but may be just as happy with the result from the RT which in turn saves me quite a bit.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Yes, 6.4 is a big step up from 5.7 in power, but the 5.7 is not bad at all.

Both are going to be expensive to keep tires on.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for a challenger and have been researching both trims noted on the title line. I know videos can have compression issues with portraying the exhaust notes for vehicles correctly but I am looking for about the best comparison sound clips or individual sounds clips for each trim that I can use to make my personal comparison of for research purposes. I have found a few R/T videos that sounded great and what I'd like to hear from each is as follows: Cold start, idle, cruising, hard acceleration, and revs while idling. Any video or sound clip links are much appreciated! My apologies if I'm being to particular about my research into both vehicles prior to purchase.
Just traded in my 2015 Scat Pack for a 2018 R/T 5.7, and I can tell you the new active exhausts on the 5.7's sound amazing. Every bit as intoxicating as the 6.4 system. They don't sound identical, but nearly equally as aggressive. The 5.7 has a touch more "rasp" to it under heavier load, but I absolutely love it. I had a 2014 R/T 5.7 before the SP, and I thought it was WAY too quiet for a Hemi.

As far as "pull", they are very different as the torque numbers would indicate. That said, for daily driving the 5.7 with the A8 and actives is wonderful. Most of my driving is city, so I just don't have much opportunity to romp on it. The 5.7 feels plenty torquey for this type of traffic. But the WOT experiences are quite a bit different. So if you're primary goal is to hunt down and slay other pony cars at red lights, track your car or otherwise just like to drive very "spiritedly" much of the time, go with the 6.4. For mileage, I averaged around 15.5-16 in the city with my Scat, and my new 5.7 seems to be a couple MPG better driving the same routes. Also, the 6.4 requires 91 octane...the 5.7 uses 89 (in A8 form). Finally, if you decide on the 5.7 definitely get the Super Track Pak (or even the Performance Handling Group on top of that). The PHG is the same suspension setup as the Scat Pack. I find that the STP provides a very satisfying experience in it's own right...a terrific upgrade for only $695 or so from the factory. My 2014 R/T had the base suspension, and I thought it was quite lagging in the handling department...lots of body roll and understeered noticeably. Some 5.7 folks don't like the firmer ride of the STP, and that's fine...we all want slightly difference things out of our machines, but all of it is good :)

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
I bought my Scat because I figured it would be so quick I wouldn’t want to modify it. The 5.7 I would have been more tempted to wrench on. The 6.4 really has more power than I can use up to about 40mph.

That being said, when the warranty is up my 6.4 will probably get a cam, tune, and longtubes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'll be coming from a 2014 Honda Civic so I believe they will both impress. Its just I can afford either but may be just as happy with the result from the RT which in turn saves me quite a bit.
off topic from the original post but just wanna chime in as I came from an 2012 Civic Si to a 2018 5.7L TA (same as R/T basically). I buy 1 car at a time and the 5.7L was well more than enough power. Sure the 6.4L would've been great but not realistic as a daily driver with its more demanding maintenance, bit fewer MPG and the gas guzzler tax

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Yes there is no GG tax on the A8s, and the 392 Challengers are not at all expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought my Scat because I figured it would be so quick I wouldn’t want to modify it. The 5.7 I would have been more tempted to wrench on. The 6.4 really has more power than I can use up to about 40mph.

That being said, when the warranty is up my 6.4 will probably get a cam, tune, and long tubes.
Yeah I believe it will have the same effect on myself. If I save on the RT, I will begin to plan mods. If I were to purchase the 6.4, other than the mid muffler delete I believe I will like the sound and power.

off topic from the original post but just wanna chime in as I came from an2012 Civic Si to a 2018 5.7L TA (same as R/T basically). I buy 1 car at a time and the 5.7L was well more than enough power. Sure the 6.4L would've been great but not realistic as a daily driver with its more demanding maintenance, bit fewer MPG and the gas guzzler tax
Yeah, I will be keeping the civic as the wife's car and my daily driver will become the Challenger. What about the Scat Pack would create a more demanding maintenance lifetime?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I rented 2018 charger rt around Thanksgiving for a week or so drove around town went on family mini vacation to reno and taho plenty of power hauling up hill and 2018 exhaust notes are better than my 2017 scatpack in my opinion. I am running dynomax bullet on my scat so it was louder than charger but exhaust note sound better
on charger next to each other.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
There's more to the Scat Pack package than just the 392 engine. They have a tuned suspension and Brembo brakes, which makes a considerable difference between cars. Add the 392 engine, and this is a serious street set up that is just a thrill to drive.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts