Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going everyone? Noob question here. I am trying to order a cat-back exhaust for my 14 R/T. For the R/T, Magnaflow and Borla have 2.5 in., but I want/need to go to a full 3 in. exhaust. If you look under the SRT on the same sites, they are all 3 in. So, are the R/T and the SRT exhaust systems completely the same or what trouble will I run into trying to put the 3 in. onto a 2014 Challenger R/T?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Well your car doesn't need a 3" catback with the smaller motor. 2.5" is all you need.

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
Bigger isn`t always better. If the pipe diameter is too large, you run the risk of losing horsepower. No back pressure causes a loss of low end torque. Some back pressure is required. Your goal is to increase the flow, without robbing the engine of the power gain.

Your 2.5 inch exhaust pipe is well suited for your 5.7 Hemi. It is not restrictive. You can go to a 3 inch diameter pipe, but the performance gain might not be there.

Pipe diameter is a balancing act. Back pressure is needed to remove gases from the engine. Back pressure creates something of a suction to help remove spent gases when it isn`t too restrictive. Too much back pressure and it can`t all escape, too little and the engine will pull it back in through the exhaust valves when open. This occurs because larger diameter exhaust pipes have more volume for the exhaust gas to travel through. As a result, the gas has plenty of time to cool off. This makes your engine work harder to push it through the system since cooler air is heavier.This means that an extremely large exhaust pipe will actually cause SLOWER exhaust flow, and decreased performance. That overly large size contributes to slower flow and creates more chaotic flow inside the exhaust system. The effect is that the exhaust pulses don’t sync up and harmonize like they’re supposed to. This means that if you have headers or a cat back system, you’re undoing the benefit they are supposed to provide.

·
Registered
814 Posts
How's it going everyone? Noob question here. I am trying to order a cat-back exhaust for my 14 R/T. For the R/T, Magnaflow and Borla have 2.5 in., but I want/need to go to a full 3 in. exhaust. If you look under the SRT on the same sites, they are all 3 in. So, are the R/T and the SRT exhaust systems completely the same or what trouble will I run into trying to put the 3 in. onto a 2014 Challenger R/T?
Can I ask why do you want 3in?

·
Registered
630 Posts
There is such a thing as going to big on the exhaust. In your case 3" would be it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I supposed I should add in that I am running 8lbs on my procharger.
Have you replaced the exhaust manifolds and cats with SRT ones?

If not, you should replace your entire exhaust system not just the cat back with a full SRT system. The R/T manifolds are restrictive. Just replacing the cat back won't fix the weakest link in the chain.

In that case, I can tell you Zoomers SRT is a full 3" system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts