Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally I think this is the best thing that Dodge has done since, well.....1972!!

The R/T is the CLASSIC Dodge muscle car....not the SRT. This is bringing things full circle offering 2 different engine sizes for the R/T. This is old school muscle at it's finest.

Give me a R/T with a 392 making 485 screaming horses and slap some Scat Pack options on it.....PERFECTION in my opinion. The whole reason I didn't buy an SRT was because I'm old school and remember the R/T being the shizzle...don't remember the SRT :scratch head: Another reason was I wasn't willing to pay $50K+. I'll gladly pay $40-42K give or take and hopefully lower after a good haggle. I have a connection at the dealership I use, so this shouldn't be a problem come late December.

I was planning on upgrading everything eventually on my R/T, but now I don't have to...now I can have my R/T with the 392 in it and pull up next to a Mustang or Camaro and it's game on. No more "that's just an R/T". Now it's going to be "Oh shit....I wonder if that's THE R/T with the 392 in it."

It's about time......but Dodge finally got it right. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm with you on that too, an RT with a 392 is a dream come true. Would have purchased that 3 years ago if it was available.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I feel like the 392 should be a standalone powertrain option and only bump the price up from the 30,000 base rt to 34,00-35,000, that way it can compete better with the mustang gt and camaro ss, after all they are currently lighter cheaper cars, and all the 392 is is a bored and stroked 345. Also start listing stuff in cubic inches while they're at it. The rt should be a classic affordable straight line killer, while the srt should be more feature and track oriented. Then the hellcat competes with the gt500 and zl1. Thats just my opinion though, and it's probably unrealistic. :shrug:

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
Personally I think this is the best thing that Dodge has done since, well.....1972!!

The R/T is the CLASSIC Dodge muscle car....not the SRT. This is bringing things full circle offering 2 different engine sizes for the R/T. This is old school muscle at it's finest.

Give me a R/T with a 392 making 485 screaming horses and slap some Scat Pack options on it.....PERFECTION in my opinion. The whole reason I didn't buy an SRT was because I'm old school and remember the R/T being the shizzle...don't remember the SRT :scratch head: Another reason was I wasn't willing to pay $50K+. I'll gladly pay $40-42K give or take and hopefully lower after a good haggle. I have a connection at the dealership I use, so this shouldn't be a problem come late December.

I was planning on upgrading everything eventually on my R/T, but now I don't have to...now I can have my R/T with the 392 in it and pull up next to a Mustang or Camaro and it's game on. No more "that's just an R/T". Now it's going to be "Oh shit....I wonder if that's THE R/T with the 392 in it."

Yep, if back in 2010 the 392 option was an option on the R/TC, I would have checked the box too. But I'm more than happy with mine too.

Just me, but the R/T has some meaning. Guess it's cause I'm an old fart. I never bought into the SRT thing, even though they are quicker. I just like the looks of my Classic too much, and I'll give up some speed for that.

This was a great move on Chryslers part IMO, but it will move the R/T into the old SRT pricing, I think. That'll be OK for some, and not so good for others.

IMO, Chrysler looked at the market, and didn't listen to Ralph and his "brand" BS. Not knocking SRT's, but most of us know that the SRT is the same Challenger with more motor and brakes, and a few wiz bang toys. Nothing wrong with this, if that's what a person wants. Don't get me going on the "brand" thing. Ain't drinking that KoolAid! LOL

It is nice to see the R/T available with the 392. Those that like the SRT image will be more than happy too. They have the premiums, and the Hellcat.

So, everyone should be, or can be happy with the new lineups offered.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just bought my 2014 RT and dang if I knew they were going to put the 392 in the RT's, I would have waited. I guess now I'm going to leave my current RT stock and be trading up when the used 392 RT's start hitting the dealer lots. I know the brand new 392 RT's will probably cost as much as the current SRT models. I can wait patiently though.

·
Registered
415 Posts

I agree!!!! If I can get a good trade in and a good deal I will have a proper R/T. I was going to do a transplant. This will be easier and possibly cheaper.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Does anybody notice that dodge is calling these two different engines ie. 392 scat pack, and 6.4liter scat pack. Im guessing the 6.4l that goes in the rt is in fact the ram 2500 6.4 liter and its just a little souped up.
I just find it really strange that they separate the two 392 scat pack or 6.4l scat pack. I think this can be confirmed by looking and the tach guage on the "6.4l" scat pack (6000 red line as opposed to "392"6400 rpm red line).

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Does anybody notice that dodge is calling these two different engines ie. 392 scat pack, and 6.4liter scat pack. Im guessing the 6.4l that goes in the rt is in fact the ram 2500 6.4 liter and its just a little souped up.
I just find it really strange that they separate the two 392 scat pack or 6.4l scat pack. I think this can be confirmed by looking and the tach guage on the "6.4l" scat pack (6000 red line as opposed to "392"6400 rpm red line).
That means the price bump for the R/T with the 6.4 may be more reasonable, how aboyut a $1000 option. Sold Out oin 5 mins. OT in Mexico! lol.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Def NOT the 6.4 truck engine. Both Scat Pack cars are full on SRT 392 motors with a newly estimated 485 hp/475 tq - hence the new "powered by SRT" name. The 392 Scat Pack is the Shaker version and the 6.L Scat Pack is not. Not different engines - different packages.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
It's amazing to me that Dodge even entertains building these things in the first place. Ha!

A 392cu almost 500 HP motor warped in a retro skin, painted any number of Easter egg colors- plum crazy, sublime, det yellow, hemi orange. amazing! in this day and age. count yourself fortunate to own one of these beasts! lol.

·
Registered
477 Posts
It's amazing to me that Dodge even entertains building these things in the first place. Ha!

A 392cu almost 500 HP motor warped in a retro skin, painted any number of Easter egg colors- plum crazy, sublime, det yellow, hemi orange. amazing! in this day and age. count yourself fortunate to own one of these beasts! lol.

I couldn't agree more!! Love the direction they have been going.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,457 Posts

Your post above is hypocritical and non sense.
You chose to buy the rt over the srt because you said you wouldn't pay 50k+ for a srt and that the srt in not a true classics muscle car.
Well I don't know anybody that paid 50k+ for their srt and most actually paid in the low to mid 40s.
Now that they rebadged the srt to the sp 392 and as you said will be around 42k you're gonna get it?
You're dreaming if the sp 392 will be around 42k. More like the current srt price range.
Btw, it'll be "powered by srt" so still
gonna have the srt name on it.
The beef I got with your thread is that you were one of many srt bashers not too long ago. Make up your mind will you? I can't stand people that talk from both sides of their mouth.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
485 Posts
I think this a good move by Dodge to offer the 392 in the R/T. I would love to have a 392 in my R/T, but taking a loss on my 2013 R/T Classic, losing the modification money I have spent, and essentially eating more depreciation after I drive a new 392 R/T off the lot, and starting all over with payments..... does not compute for me.

What I have considered doing is buying a 392 crate for about 7K, and selling my 5.7 which would about cover the R&R of the new 392.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT Core
553 Posts
I feel like the 392 should be a standalone powertrain option and only bump the price up from the 30,000 base rt to 34,00-35,000, that way it can compete better with the mustang gt and camaro ss, after all they are currently lighter cheaper cars, and all the 392 is is a bored and stroked 345. Also start listing stuff in cubic inches while they're at it. The rt should be a classic affordable straight line killer, while the srt should be more feature and track oriented. Then the hellcat competes with the gt500 and zl1. Thats just my opinion though, and it's probably unrealistic. :shrug:
Totally unrealistic that doesn't even come close,how about the brakes it has to have before they even think about putting in the motor.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I have been enjoying my "Scat Pack Stage 5" with a 392 old school Challenger for almost two years now and I paid ~$43k for it!!! Welcome to a long time ago Wild West!!! You would think it is the coolest thing...I mean once I quickly pop off the SRT badge in the grille off of it...LOL

Enjoy your SRT8 - wait I mean Scat Pack R/T 392 - Challenger when you get it! ;) I hope it is as cheap as you hope it is.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts