Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been looking into buying a Challenger. I have mainly been looking at the 15+ sxt, but been seeing a few r/t's in my price range. Mostly 12-13s. Should I just stick with the SXT or would I be ok with the R/T? are there any years I should just avoid? Not too concerned about the creature comforts as I currently drive a 00 Jeep Cherokee with no AC in Florida.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 R/T
108 Posts
So I have been looking into buying a Challenger. I have mainly been looking at the 15+ sxt, but been seeing a few r/t's in my price range. Mostly 12-13s. Should I just stick with the SXT or would I be ok with the R/T? are there any years I should just avoid? Not too concerned about the creature comforts as I currently drive a 00 Jeep Cherokee with no AC in Florida.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Think long and hard before buying the SXT. The cars are addictive and you may find yourself soon wanting more HP. You'll see lots of guys on here who have jumped up in horsepower in a short time. That's a very expensive hobby. If you want to run a tune the 15 and up will need a replacement PCM.

Chrysler are slow learners. Look at the Maintenance section of the forum and you'll see that problems occur across multiple model years.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Find you a used 15 RT with low milage. 2015's came with excellent warranty (6yr/100,000 mile) and you get all the new updated stuff that 2014s and under didn't have, like LED taillights, New interior, Etc.

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
On a pre '14 R/T (automatic trans) make sure that P01 campaign (timing chain and related components) is taken care of.

There's an upcoming recall from Chrysler for '11 - '14 RWD models (all engines) for alternator replacement. The campaign is T36. Around Aug 24th the announcement and notices should start coming out to owners

The dealer can look up by VIN # to check on the prior service campaigns on a given vehicle - if done at any dealership.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No matter what I end up getting I will end up taking it to the dealer and having to recall taking then.

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
I've owned a 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 R/T all manual except for the 2013 and currently own a 2016 SXT Plus. No one can tell you which is better for you. That's all dependent on your finances and tastes. But I'll give you my opinions on what I think are the pluses for each. First, I much preferred the manual over the five speed auto in the pre 2015's. You get a better exhaust, limited slip, and no damn MDS with the manual and I've always gotten better than rated mileage with the manual. As for the 2015 and up, well, that's a whole new ballgame. The eight speed auto is very nice so to me it's a toss up on trans. I have found the quality has steadily increased with each update. The 2011-2014's were better then the 2008-2010 and the 2015 up are far better then anything prior as far as quality materials and accessories. Now between an R/T and an SXT? That's up to you. The plus with the R/T as the tool man would say, more power. The upside to the SXT, more nimble ride, very good mileage, lower operating costs at less than one second slower then the R/T. In either case, I would find a Plus trim with options. They are nice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I own a base model 2009 R/T that is in mint condition, so in my opinion there is no year R/T to avoid due to any mechanical issues. I enjoy my 5 speed Automatic very much, and the MDS is a blessing for the great gas mileage if that is a concern for you. I do not care for all the frivolities that the subsequent years R/T have since I wanted a pure, basic muscle car Challenger and am quite happy with just that.
The seats are very comfortable and all I added was a 12" sub-woofer that greatly enhanced the sound. I also prefer the dashboard of my model year compared to the new styling, just personal preference. Never had any issues with this car, plus it IS the first year of the upgraded Hemi engine, which added 40+ hp compared to the 2008 model and is a more valued model for that reason alone among purists.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I've owned a 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 R/T all manual except for the 2013 and currently own a 2016 SXT Plus. No one can tell you which is better for you. That's all dependent on your finances and tastes. But I'll give you my opinions on what I think are the pluses for each. First, I much preferred the manual over the five speed auto in the pre 2015's. You get a better exhaust, limited slip, and no damn MDS with the manual and I've always gotten better than rated mileage with the manual. As for the 2015 and up, well, that's a whole new ballgame. The eight speed auto is very nice so to me it's a toss up on trans. I have found the quality has steadily increased with each update. The 2011-2014's were better then the 2008-2010 and the 2015 up are far better then anything prior as far as quality materials and accessories. Now between an R/T and an SXT? That's up to you. The plus with the R/T as the tool man would say, more power. The upside to the SXT, more nimble ride, very good mileage, lower operating costs at less than one second slower then the R/T. In either case, I would find a Plus trim with options. They are nice.

Yes what he said. Definitely get a plus. I'd hold out for an R/T but they are pricier. Definitely get a 15+ +. Good luck.
You need to get cooled in the car. There is a whole nother world out there. You will love whatever you get. Trust me!

·
Registered
2012 R/T
108 Posts
Mine is a '12 R/T Plus. It is a great car. I'm sure the 8 speed would be nice, if your last name is Rockefeller.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
I have a 2013 R/T M6 that is lots of fun to drive and has been completely trouble free so far

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pardon my ignorance. What is "MDS"?.

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
Pardon my ignorance. What is "MDS"?.
The system on auto trans V8s that reduces the engine to run on four cylinders at light throttle. It bogs down the engine and makes the exhaust sound like a motor boat. I had it on one of my Challengers and on my Ram R/T that I have now. It added ZERO mileage to those vehicles. It is just a band aid added to all the other band aid systems that you pay for just to placate bureaucrats who arbitrarily come up with CAFE numbers based solely on politics. You might guess I don't like MDS.

·
Registered
2012 R/T
108 Posts
It's short for Multiple Displacement System.

·
Registered
2012 R/T
108 Posts
If you granny the car, it will improve your mileage. While commuting I drive like a granny and get 25-27 mpg. On weekends it usually drops to 17-19mpg.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you're not concerned with creature comforts then you'll be able to pick up an SXT dirt cheap. Even at that end of the spectrum Dodge throws in plenty of goodies on the standard model. I'm talking low $20s for a brand new '17.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
If you granny the car, it will improve your mileage. While commuting I drive like a granny and get 25-27 mpg. On weekends it usually drops to 17-19mpg.

Me too! If I ain't IN it I would rather get the gas mileage. I get 13 having fun and 23-29 depending on wind on the highway
If you don't want it go into sport mode. It really is a beautiful option. And sounds like a motor boat.

·
Registered
2012 R/T
108 Posts
Me too! If I ain't IN it I would rather get the gas mileage. I get 13 having fun and 23-29 depending on wind on the highway
If you don't want it go into sport mode. It really is a beautiful option. And sounds like a motor boat.
I second that...

·
Registered
2012 R/T
108 Posts
I am doing something wrong, in my R/T (2015) I use MDS and get 15 or so mpg every week.
My commute is virtually 100% highway miles. No idling, no stop and go. If I get caught by road construction or traffic, the mileage goes down the dumper.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts