Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happens when you put race gas in a stock R/T? Do you have to tune for it? Will it burn up any sensors or cause any sort of damage? I know in my ecoboost mustang I had before this that you had to tune for stuff like that and have certain parts to be able to handle race gas properly, and was actually more costly compared to an E-85 tune and mixture. But that car was turbo, not sure that makes a difference or not. Any insight is helpful. I don’t plan on trying this I’m mostly just curious. I know on the demons they have a built in tune for when you put race gas into the demon and there’s an option to tell the car that you’re using race gas and to basically tell the car hey this is what I’m doing.

·
Registered
519 Posts
What happens when you put race gas in a stock R/T?
It will significantly reduce the thickness of your wallet, most likely no other effect unless the car is tuned to take advantage of the increased octane.;)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
What happens when you put race gas in a stock R/T? Do you have to tune for it? Will it burn up any sensors or cause any sort of damage? I know in my ecoboost mustang I had before this that you had to tune for stuff like that and have certain parts to be able to handle race gas properly, and was actually more costly compared to an E-85 tune and mixture. But that car was turbo, not sure that makes a difference or not. Any insight is helpful. I don’t plan on trying this I’m mostly just curious. I know on the demons they have a built in tune for when you put race gas into the demon and there’s an option to tell the car that you’re using race gas and to basically tell the car hey this is what I’m doing.
As long as the fuel is unleaded there should be no harm to the engine. As Rob446 mentions your wallet may not be so fortunate.

Under some conditions if one does not have the recommended octane of fuel available -- say 93 is recommended but only 91 is available -- race gas can be used to "boost" the octane of the 91 to 93 or a even bit higher -- for extra margin to avoid the engine controller encountering detonation -- if one is going to visit the track.

But for normal every day driving while there might be some benefit the cost and inconvenience of having to mix in race gasoline and I just can't see this being worth the trouble. 'course, that is just my opinion. Up to you if you want do this.

(Once on a road trip through Wyoming I filled up my Porsche Turbo with 93 gasoline -- which was the octane the engine was designed to run on -- after having been limited to only 91 octane gasoline. The transformation of the engine was rather remarkable rather surprising in fact. While I could have developed a habit of filling the tank with 93 had that been an option no way would I have bothered to go to the trouble to mix 91 in the tank with race gas to produce a 93 octane gas. Just not worth the bother.)

The factory "tune" is not designed/intended to make max use of the higher race gas octane. The engine (specifically the combustion chambers) may be the limit on how much timing can be used regardless of how much octane the fuel has.

The engine controller constantly monitors for misfires and knock. The engine controller will adapt to the race fuel if present in full strength or blended with "street" gasoline and use as much timing advance as the engine can tolerate and as much timing advance as the factory "tune" allows for.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Race gas will just allow you to add more timing advance which usually results in more power but on a stock motor it is a waste of money.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Use the unleaded "race gas" and enjoy the sweet smell of race fuel. Used to put 100-something av-gas in my 66 Nova.....didn't run any better but man did it smell gooooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,528 Posts
Definitely double and triple check that there is zero lead in this fuel as any lead at all will kill your cats and major $$$.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
Slidd
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing