Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....I called them Friday to discuss some wheel options. I prefer the Weld RTS rims but they are pretty pricey.

The guy I spoke with at Racestar said they have had a customer successfully use their 17x4.5 on the front and 17x9.5 on the rear of the LX platform. Pointed me to a pic in their gallery.

Race Star Industries

Question I have....are there any modifications needed to get the wheels to fit?

From what I can gather, non-track pack/super track pack cars will not have an issue. Track pack cars may due to the larger sway bars. I could be totally off here.

I have found a potential source where I can get the wheels with tires mounted, lugs, etc... for around $1,400. I am going to call them Monday to inquire.

If anyone has experience or insight please feel free to reply. Thanks!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
47 views and no feedback?

There has got to be more to this site then cat-backs, cold air intakes, and stickers.....

....are there only a handful of gear heads who own Challengers?:scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Not sure about them fitting all the Dodges SRT or RT? It looks like a good rim. If you could share some information after you talk with them would be good.

·
Banned
664 Posts
The web site shows a 2006 srt charger using them and says the rear sway needs to be removed. With 7" of back spacing that would seem to be true. If you are going to be running 4.5 rims on the front, I would take the sways off any way. I can tell you from using centerline 3.5" for years you do not want to take a curve hard with narrow front tires anyway, they peel off the rims on heavy cars.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The web site shows a 2006 srt charger using them and says the rear sway needs to be removed. With 7" of back spacing that would seem to be true. If you are going to be running 4.5 rims on the front, I would take the sways off any way. I can tell you from using centerline 3.5" for years you do not want to take a curve hard with narrow front tires anyway, they peel off the rims on heavy cars.

Yup I have been doing this for a number of years myself.

Their site states rear sway bar relocation required. That is much different than removal. If it is anything like the S197 Mustang, it means the mount needs to be moved up to clear the rim. I am fine with that. One of the questions I have is, is it specific to SRT's andd track pack cars with the larger sway bars only?

Looks like I will have to venture this path alone as no one has posted experience with regards to these rims. Not a biggie. Will post details for the install if I pull the trigger on it.

The other option is '95 Cobra R rims with ET Street Radials. Does absolutely nothing for weight reduction.....

·
Registered
710 Posts
The one thing I noticed on there website is they don't have the correct bolt pattern do they make them especially to fit the Challlenger. These wheels are the ones that Greg Weld had in development just before he died Racestar bought them out.

Yup I have been doing this for a number of years myself.

Their site states rear sway bar relocation required. That is much different than removal. If it is anything like the S197 Mustang, it means the mount needs to be moved up to clear the rim. I am fine with that. One of the questions I have is, is it specific to SRT's andd track pack cars with the larger sway bars only?

Looks like I will have to venture this path alone as no one has posted experience with regards to these rims. Not a biggie. Will post details for the install if I pull the trigger on it.

The other option is '95 Cobra R rims with ET Street Radials. Does absolutely nothing for weight reduction.....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The one thing I noticed on there website is they don't have the correct bolt pattern do they make them especially to fit the Challlenger. These wheels are the ones that Greg Weld had in development just before he died Racestar bought them out.

4.5 bolt pattern. .3mm different than the Chrysler 115mm. Well within tolerance for just about any wheel made.

I spoke with LMR today and sent them an e-mail with the package I am looking for. Wheels, tires, lug nuts, mount/balance, etc... Waiting to hear back. Will advise once I have word and the package price. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Feedback from LMR on a package price:

--Racestar--

2 - 17x4.5 with 2.25" backspace with 185/55/17 tires
2 - 17x9.5 with 7" backspace with 275/40/17 ET Street radials

• The needed lug nuts are: 14mm 1/2"
  • 4.5" bolt circle.
  • Mounted and balanced.
**$1,799**

For those interested in contacting LMR for this package, email:
[email protected]

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you buy them please post some pics of them mounted on the car.

Feedback from LMR on a package price:

--Racestar--

2 - 17x4.5 with 2.25" backspace with 185/55/17 tires
2 - 17x9.5 with 7" backspace with 275/40/17 ET Street radials

• The needed lug nuts are: 14mm 1/2"
  • 4.5" bolt circle.
  • Mounted and balanced.
**$1,799**

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Weld racing 17X9X115mm wheels

Look guys I have been playing with a set of Weld racing 17X9X115mm wheels since Oct. I have a 2010 RT Classic with STP and larger sway bar. The first set I got were 6.5 BS they hit my sway bar. Sent them back to Weld. They sent me a set of 5.8 BS they where so close you could pull a piece of typing paper between the sway bar and wheel. Now I have a set they shaved some stock off the inside of the wheel. I haven't tried them yet due to all the snow. At 483.00 a piece I want them to fit. Going with a wheel that has the wrong bolt pattern or needs a spacer on a $40,000 car that will run 12 sec or better is not safe in my book. For the money one of these wheel companies sshould make it happen for us. I'm frustrated they haven't. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look guys I have been playing with a set of Weld racing 17X9X115mm wheels since Oct. I have a 2010 RT Classic with STP and larger sway bar. The first set I got were 6.5 BS they hit my sway bar. Sent them back to Weld. They sent me a set of 5.8 BS they where so close you could pull a piece of typing paper between the sway bar and wheel. Now I have a set they shaved some stock off the inside of the wheel. I haven't tried them yet due to all the snow. At 483.00 a piece I want them to fit. Going with a wheel that has the wrong bolt pattern or needs a spacer on a $40,000 car that will run 12 sec or better is not safe in my book. For the money one of these wheel companies sshould make it happen for us. I'm frustrated they haven't. Just my 2 cents.
Do you mind posting a pic of where it hits? I have a non-STP car and would like to compare the sway bar. Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey Brett! Just a question and I havent looked at all. Does anyone make a drag style wheel in an 18"? The MT's I've got I am gonna run on the factory 18"s, but I would figure you wouldnt have the issue with clearances and could run max b.s. to keep the tire under the car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Brett! Just a question and I havent looked at all. Does anyone make a drag style wheel in an 18"? The MT's I've got I am gonna run on the factory 18"s, but I would figure you wouldnt have the issue with clearances and could run max b.s. to keep the tire under the car.
Hi Lance! TBH I am not sure. I haven't researched them much. Most lightweight wheels stop at 17". To go above that increases the price dramatically.

What size tire are you going to be running? That will help determine the needed width of the rim and will translate to overall needed backspacing. :)

HHP sells a combo for the rear but it runs a 17" wheel:
SE, SXT, R/T

If your ET Streets will fit a stock 18x7.5 rim I would stick with that. Should be easy enough to find a cheap pair and you know they will fit without issue. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am not aware of a 14mm lug nut to fit the stock lugs for these wheels. A 14mm stud requires a duplex shank which is .75 in diameter. The lug hole on the Racestars is .687 in diameter. I would think you would have to change studs? Anyone have any other input?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ya Brett, I am stickin with the factory 18"s. The tire is 305 45 18 as seen on the 1320 Challenger. It looks like I am going to go ahead and mount them tomorrow for the track Sat. Getting tired of waiting! Hopefully I will see a substancial enough speed increase to realize the power increase from the headers?! I dont expect having the DR's on affecting speed by much...1-2 mph if any, so any speed will hopefully be due to power!

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Ya Brett, I am stickin with the factory 18"s. The tire is 305 45 18 as seen on the 1320 Challenger. It looks like I am going to go ahead and mount them tomorrow for the track Sat. Getting tired of waiting! Hopefully I will see a substancial enough speed increase to realize the power increase from the headers?! I dont expect having the DR's on affecting speed by much...1-2 mph if any, so any speed will hopefully be due to power!
Will the 305s even fit safely on the stock 18s (which are 7.5 inches wide)? I would think you'd atleast need a 9" wide rim for meat like that.
Also, don't expect your mph to go up any, it might actually go down a bit seeing as it's a taller tire than what comes stock. I'd suggest running a 275/40/17. It gives better gearing, I gain 1mph in the 1/8 but lose about .5mph in the 1/4 due to having to shift into 4th right before the traps.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Chris, my plan originally was to go back up my last run, which was on factory 235 55 18's, and run them again with the only change being the long tubes and catless mids from then to now. The tracks around here have been closed the last 3 weekends which has been frustrating. I ran a 13.67 @ 103.8 bone stock and I wanted to get a back to back comparison using trap speed as my power increase indicator. I am getting tired of waiting and going to go ahead and put the tires on for this Saturday night. I am not expecting a speed increase due to tires....expecting to see speed based on the power gains from the headers. As far as the fit...its not an issue and the diameter is roughly 3/4" taller...I am running this tire purposely to knock some gear out for the TEXAS MILE! I am just using the 1/4 mile for testing and a major part of consistancy is going to be the ability to launch the car with out having tire spin as an issue...ie...tryng to control it! I have a lot of parts to get on the car before March and the weather has held me up in my testing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Jason, if you are having to shift into o.d. in the 1/4, you are running to short of a tire. The goal is to go thru the traps at max rpm (just over the power curve). Your first gear to axle ratio is 10.98 in the auto, where as mine with the six speed is 11.08. These are good numbers based on the 28" tire the cars come with. You have shortened the rear tire diameter by apx 2"s going to the 275 40 17...thats a dramatic change in gearing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am not aware of a 14mm lug nut to fit the stock lugs for these wheels. A 14mm stud requires a duplex shank which is .75 in diameter. The lug hole on the Racestars is .687 in diameter. I would think you would have to change studs? Anyone have any other input?

Not sure on that. Seemed to fit the Charger listed on the Racestar site.

I think I will go with the Centerline wheels. Roughly the same price and a guaranteed fit:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f37/need-help-tires-wheels-strip-51961/

Lance, I think they make an 18" wheel that will fit your ET Streets. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts