Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my rack replaced because my mechanic said it was leaking. My brand new inner tie rod had failed again after only a week. New refurbished rack from Detroit Axle. Now it gets stuck when I turn right. Like I cant turn right because back pressure. If I hold the steering wheel and turn as hard as possible it will suddenly "break loose" and turn abruptly..usually over turning causing near collisions with whomever or whatever is to the right of the turning direction. The old rack did nothing like this ever. Ricky Bobby grows tired of this car already. One thing after another. Have new shocks springs upper lower controls ball joints outer tie rods. Everything is new or newly refurbished in the case of the rack.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,477 Posts
What year model is the car?

Refurbished racks are notoriously sketchy when it comes to quality and durability, although your situation sounds more like a install issue, but hard to know for sure without more info.

Front suspension is weak on these cars, no doubt. But have you considered the possibility that the shop doing all this work for you is possibly just using the parts shotgun to try to solve whatever issue has recurred recently while also padding their bottom line with lucrative suspension work that keeps ‘needing’ more?

That’s not a common scenario thankfully, but it’s certainly not unheard of either, unfortunately.

Reactions: Charles 236

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,230 Posts
When the steering wheel is turned this opens a valve to the cylinder chamber on one side of the rack and directs high pressure power steering fluid to this side of the rack to push the rack piston in the desired direction to provide some assistance.

At the same time a valve is opened to let any fluid in the other chamber of the rack escape so obviously the rack piston can move.

Reads like this valve is not working right. This sort of suggests Nuke is on track regarding the quality of refurbished racks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts