Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2013 srt8 . Radiator fan Works when Ac is on but not went up to temperature I replace the The thermostat and temp Sensor. And all fuses I’m at my I’m at my wits end . This just all of a sudden happened. Can’t find any answers if Anybody Experience this problem please help .

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,258 Posts
So you have a single fan set-up not dual and fuses 12 and 15 are not blow? If so, there are 3 relays:

Relay 18 - Low/High
Relay 19 - Series/Parallel
Relay 20 - Medium/High

check relay 18...if it works then check the fan resistor. If it is open then that is your problem otherwise you might have an issue with the TIPM circuit board.

Attached is the wiring diagram showing fan operation for a single fan setup.

The online chilton manual has the diagnostic steps to help you further.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have two fans . They work wen the ac is on but don’t cut on wen the temperature is at operating mode . It starts to overheat .

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,643 Posts
I have two fans . They work wen the ac is on but don’t cut on wen the temperature is at operating mode . It starts to overheat .
With another car, not a Dodge, the radiator fans low speed was courtesy of a ballast resistor in the fan wiring which caused the fan to run at I think half its regular speed. When the fan no longer ran at low speed -- but ran when the A/C was on or when the coolant temperature got to the high speed fan threshold -- the problem was this ballast resistor had failed.

They run hot and in this car they were mounted in the path of the air flow through the radiator/fan which while "hot" still kept the resistor from getting way too hot. And very important it kept the resistor from getting splashed with water. The tech told me the resistor if hot and splashed with water can suffer degradation.

The tech replaced the short length of wiring which had the ballast resistor in it and the fan's low speed operation was restored.

I wonder if what you take for overheating sign is just the coolant temperature getting up to where you probably never see it because the fans would be on and thus limit the temperature rise?

With another car I have observed the coolant temperature climbing to 226F which is 10F above the threshold the fans switch to high speed operation. The coolant temperature was elevated because I was driving the car in 116F ambient temperature. While I know the coolant temperature gauge in the dash is a crude instrument the needle swing over to the right into a region I had never seen it in before. Based on the hash marks the coolant temperature appeared to be at nearly 250F. Even so the engine was fine showed no signs of overheating. After I got home I spoke to the service manager at the dealer giving him the details. He admitted he don't know the answers but contacted the factory about this and the factory came back with something like as long as there were no warning lights/messages there was no overheating. Essentially the coolant temperature gauge is just mainly for show.

I know a couple of times with my Hellcat while the coolant gauge needle hangs down around the 170 mark -- this even though the coolant temperature is around the 200F level -- that as the coolant temperature goes higher the needle comes up quite a bit. This can appear to be overheating sign but with the benefit of the actual coolant temperature display I know the coolant temperature is only in the 216F region and this is I believe the point at which the radiator fans turn on for I then see the coolant temperature drop to 208F which is apparently the temperature the radiator fans shut off.

Back to your car: If you let the temperature go higher the fans would (should) come on high speed and bring the temperature down. You know they work with the A/C on.

'course, I'm not advocating you do this.

All I can offer is you obviously need to get the fans working at low speed and well, all I have is ballast resistor thing to offer as a possible failure mode, if ballast resistor in the fan electrical ciruit is even a thing in these Dodge cars.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,258 Posts
Dual fan works similar to single fan...relay 1 still controls high low and the resistor is still used to in the low setting. When you say the fans work, is it just the higher speed? If you take a look at the chilton manual they give the steps to diagnose what circuit is misbehaving...or you can look at the attached PDF.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I found the problem. I think it’s the wire Harness . It has a resistant in connection at the top of the radiator . I have to get the cooling fan wire harness . It’s about 100 bucks . Item number # 68050137AB .

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,258 Posts
Yes, that big resistor is used to drop the voltage for low fan operation as I mentioned earlier. Are you saying the actual connector to the fan is bad?

Wait, that part number is for a dual fan setup isn't it?

Weird, if I search for a 2013 SRT8 fan through mopar giants it shows a dual fan setup?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup it can be the only thing wrong . Like I said both fans work with the ac on . But neither come on wen the car reaches The operation temperature . So they only work with ac . Hopefully this fixes it . And hopefully this can help someone else with this same problem.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,258 Posts
Lol, forget what I said about the resistor, I kept thinking you had a single fan. The mopar giant site showed a single fan initially but when I did the fit check for the dual fan it said that was the correct fan module which caused my confusion.

I don't think the dual fan setup uses a resistor but instead runs the fans in series (low fan speed) or parallel (one fan runs full voltage for medium and two fans run full voltage for high speed).

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,643 Posts
Lol, forget what I said about the resistor, I kept thinking you had a single fan. The mopar giant site showed a single fan initially but when I did the fit check for the dual fan it said that was the correct fan module which caused my confusion.

I don't think the dual fan setup uses a resistor but instead runs the fans in series (low fan speed) or parallel (one fan runs full voltage for medium and two fans run full voltage for high speed). View attachment 978305
Wonder what the failure mode is (or modes are) given the above? With my other cars and their the ballast resistor wiring the fan would work at high speed even if the ballast resistor failed. And with 2 separate fans and assuming one was working properly its low speed operation based on my observation appeared to supply sufficient air flow that high speed fan operation was not necessary.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,258 Posts
Well assuming the fans don't work at low speed, these are the only possibilities. Although only one fan will be operating at high speed...not both. And to think the FSM from TechAuthority did not have wiring schematics...what BS.

I am glad I looked into this because I was under the impression the challengers only have 2 rad fan speed modes but that is not true for the dual fan set-up as there is a medium fan setting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I found the problem. I think it’s the wire Harness . It has a resistant in connection at the top of the radiator . I have to get the cooling fan wire harness . It’s about 100 bucks . Item number # 68050137AB .
Hello could you by chance tell me if changing the wire harness worked? I am having the same issue. Thanks

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,258 Posts
Hello could you by chance tell me if changing the wire harness worked? I am having the same issue. Thanks
Welcome to the forum. It's not that difficult to test the continuity through the wires and resistor, which is what you really should do. Just because something worked for one car does not mean it will work for yours. In his case it could have been a bad cable whereas in your case it still could be the resistor or bad motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks I think it is the low speed resistor that is built into the wiring harness. I tried the fuses and relays it is a brand new brushless fans that work great when the ac is on but won’t kick on when the ac is off and will let the engine overheat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well assuming the fans don't work at low speed, these are the only possibilities. Although only one fan will be operating at high speed...not both. And to think the FSM from TechAuthority did not have wiring schematics...what BS.
View attachment 978317
View attachment 978318
I am glad I looked into this because I was under the impression the challengers only have 2 rad fan speed modes but that is not true for the dual fan set-up as there is a medium fan setting.
found this thread on google, joined group and looking for info cooling fans with no high speed operation. Here is the lowdown...I have a 2013 Challenger SRT, This past Tuesday was sitting at a light and went to take off and heard a noise that sounded like I was dragging something. Pulled over and checked under the vehicle, nothing there. Drove towards home and stopped to get gas, smelled coolant and also check engine light. Went home and pressure tested the cooling system, low and behold the radiator is leaking, pulled codes and have a P0480. Found that the cooling fans came apart and damaged the radiator. Replaced radiator and cooling fans yesterday with new aftermarket units, everything seemed fine, attempted to clear code by disconnecting battery negative. Drove to work this morning, seemed fine. Drove home this afternoon, outside temp was about 97 degrees. Noticed car temp going up and ac not working that great in stop and go traffic. Found cooling fans working, but no high speed operation at all. Obviously fuses good, fans work on low speed. I can feel the series/parallel relay chattering, like its trying to engage. Also, still have engine light with P0480 code present....Any and all assistance/info would be appreciated....if you have read all this, thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yup it can be the only thing wrong . Like I said both fans work with the ac on . But neither come on wen the car reaches The operation temperature . So they only work with ac . Hopefully this fixes it . And hopefully this can help someone else with this same problem.
Did that fix the issue? I'm having the same problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts