Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this is my first post I have a 2009 rt and the other day I was driving and noticed my cooling fans were not on because my radiator
Reservoir started steaming then looked at my ac controls and they didn’t work either I’ve checked relays wires checked fan motors just don’t know what it is if someone could help thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,836 Posts
probably check the relay for continuity as well as the fans

- and there's fuses
front power module #15 - 50A (red) fuse
#12 40A (green) radiator fan low / high

Rear power module
#14 10A (red) AC / Heater control
#41 10A (red) AC / Heater control & headlights, TIPM monitor
#42 30A (pink) front blower motor

·
Premium Member
5,328 Posts
Hello this is my first post I have a 2009 rt and the other day I was driving and noticed my cooling fans were not on because my radiator
Reservoir started steaming then looked at my ac controls and they didn’t work either I’ve checked relays wires checked fan motors just don’t know what it is if someone could help thanks
Lots to unpack here...first, you shouldn’t assume the overheat is tied to the loss of HVAC controls. Maybe it is, maybe not, but IMHO you should troubleshoot them separately.

For the overheat incident, couple of questions:

1) did the red temperature warning light on the dash illuminate?

2) What was the temp gauge reading when you noticed the steam (maxed out on Hot end, normal in the middle, still pegged on Cold end)?

3) Did most of the coolant boil over and escape out of the coolant reservoir?

For the HVAC controls:

1) do any of the 3 control knobs have any effect when turned?

2) do any of the buttons have any effect when pushed in?

3) are any of the lights on the buttons steady illuminated or blinking?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After trouble shooting it separate I was able to find out why the fans didn’t turn on it turned out to be the coolant temp sensor they are finally working again odd thing is the one I pulled off was all plastic not one piece of copper or metal on the sensor portion but new one came as a metal one idk they work now though

still haven’t found out what is going one with ac controls they do turn on when knob is pushed but only the rear window defrost no on their function if I try to turn the fan control knob it all shuts off like if it weren’t connected any clues
Appreciate the help guys

·
Premium Member
5,328 Posts
After trouble shooting it separate I was able to find out why the fans didn’t turn on it turned out to be the coolant temp sensor they are finally working again odd thing is the one I pulled off was all plastic not one piece of copper or metal on the sensor portion but new one came as a metal one idk they work now though

still haven’t found out what is going one with ac controls they do turn on when knob is pushed but only the rear window defrost no on their function if I try to turn the fan control knob it all shuts off like if it weren’t connected any clues
Appreciate the help guys
that’s good you got the temperature sensor figured and replaced, that’ll keep the motor safe.

As far as the controls, could be a short behind the dash, not sure on that one. You may have to punt and take that one in for the pros to troubleshoot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts