Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve noticed a ton of heat from the engine driving short distances however when I drove about an hour and stopped the reservoir was boiling really bad and spurting coolant everywhere! Temp gauge reads half way between cold and normal but it’s definitely not.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think maybe your radiator thermostat may be getting stuck...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m hoping that’s all it is. Now if I try to crank the car it sounds as if it’s knocking like crazy and has difficulty turning over but once it starts up it seems fine. Not noticing any milky white in the oil nor any brownish/rainbow in the reservoir

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yeah that doesn't sound good, what yr is the car any warranty still left?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2009 and unfortunately the warranty is out. I changed the thermostat and still getting the same result. The water pump is newish and I don’t believe the radiator is clogged as both hoses are hot. No visable leaks, no white smoke from exhaust, oil looks clean same as antifreeze. Bad radiator cap? Still possible for blown head gasket?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've never had a blown gasket only leaking water pump and a stuck thermostat, clogged radiator...

I would suggest taking it to a good mechanic cuz if everything seems okay but it shouldn't be blowing over, is the mixture good on the antifreeze?

·
Registered
438 Posts
2009 and unfortunately the warranty is out. I changed the thermostat and still getting the same result. The water pump is newish and I don’t believe the radiator is clogged as both hoses are hot. No visable leaks, no white smoke from exhaust, oil looks clean same as antifreeze. Bad radiator cap? Still possible for blown head gasket?
How many miles on the radiator fluid?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,550 Posts
Both hoses from the radiator are hot? Are the fans working? Bottom hose should be cooler than the top hose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The radiator fluid was changed less than a month ago.
The fan is engaging and both hoses seem to be equally hot. I tried to attach a video of the reservoir boiling over but it won’t allow me. I’ll screen shot a pick from the video though

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,550 Posts
Could be air pocket in the motor or whoever did the coolant swap might have left some old coolant in the system, which if it was HOAT and they filled with OAT (or visa versa) then sludge could have formed. Also if the cap is not holding pressure the coolant could be boiling over due to the system not being pressurized.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,550 Posts
I would replace the cap and thermostat, heck even the water pump...might as well if you plan on draining and refilling the system.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
You may need a new expansion tank I don't think coolant should shoot out the side like that the pressure spring in the cap should allow the pressure the exit the overflow hose attached to the filler neck. Look for a crack in the plastic tank where the coolant is leaking form.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oddly enough it isn’t a crack, it appears to be a perfect shaped hole like it was fabricated as such

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,334 Posts
Hmmm, I can't imagine a hole is supposed to be there. How can you pressurize a tank with a hole?

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,550 Posts
Unless it is a reservoir/overflow tank. My liberty has 2 separate cambers, one is pressured and the other is not and has a hose going from the reservoir tank neck into it. It also has a vent near the firewall side that sits at a high point so if the coolant expands when hot it goes into the overflow side and reclaimed when coolant gets cold.

I think the tank on the earlier models (2009) looked like this

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,334 Posts
Yes, and far left you can see the "boss" that sticks out where he says there is a hole that looks factory. You're probably right then

A Guy

·
Registered
109 Posts
Might be bad coolant. Mine turned to lumps right on time, so I had it changed out. Plated the reservoir with sludge and solids) I think its only good for 5 yrs so you are long over due. Might need a flush with detergent (shout, dawn) to get any crud out.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,334 Posts
Sure sounds like a thermostat that isn't opening...

A Guy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts