Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey guys, problem solved!
Turns out the ETCS was reading way out of range and needed to be replaced. Glad it was a simple fix.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,522 Posts
You mean the engine coolant temp sensor was defective? I don't see how that would cause your cooling system to overheat and coolant to boil out of the reservoir? If anything, it would kick the fans on earlier. I am confused.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Apparently the temp sensor was not telling the fan to kick on until it was way over the normal temp range.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,522 Posts
Ah, OK so it was registering lower temps when they were actually higher. Makes sense. For some reason I thought it was the other way around.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,522 Posts
Unless it is a reservoir/overflow tank. My liberty has 2 separate cambers, one is pressured and the other is not and has a hose going from the reservoir tank neck into it. It also has a vent near the firewall side that sits at a high point so if the coolant expands when hot it goes into the overflow side and reclaimed when coolant gets cold.

I think the tank on the earlier models (2009) looked like this
Ran into this while reading one of the FCA work books. There is even a section about OAT and HOAT coolant explaining the differences.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts