Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my 2013 RT radiator is leaking and needs to be replaced. Is going with the SRT radiator a better option? Do the hoses and the fan interchange without modification? Something with more capacity would be awesome and since I have to change it I would rather use the SRT if it is a better choice. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
IIRC, the hose diameters are larger on the 392/ 6.4 versions vs. the 5.7s...so that would be an issue from the start.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know if the engine connections are larger than the 5.7 or if the SRT hoses are flared on the radiator end?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like both engines use the same water pump which leads me to believe a set of hoses to go with the radiator would solve that problem.

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
Looks like both engines use the same water pump which leads me to believe a set of hoses to go with the radiator would solve that problem.
I noticed different part # for upper radiator hose. So if its a different size, you can get the 6.4 water neck (they bolt onto water pump) and use the hose that fits all that. It may be the 6.4 upper hose is larger diameter.

The lower hose is different on 6.4s as it incorporates the inline-tee and hose for the oil cooler. 5.7s use a standard style hose.

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
Everything since the 80s has the plastic tank / aluminum core crimped construction. Even the larger trucks do this as well.

I have two 16 year old vehicles with their original radiators of that construction - no issues.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yep, and every one I have ever had has failed, either a cracked end tank from plastic getting brittle over time, or the seal on the metal to rubber eventually failing. Sometimes with few miles, sometimes with tons of miles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Im hoping I can toss in a question and if not will start my own threat. On some of my previous cars I would toss in a Mishimto higher pressure radiator cap . It seems like the 6.4l engine is really a hit or miss what you can do it. To help run this cooler people are turning the fans earlier along with the thermostat but how many are also tossing in some water wetter?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts