Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 GT with Interior Package Upgrade. 2 weeks ago the screen would not come on for radio or back-up camera. USB ports also didn’t work. I tried everything I could find on this forum and nothing worked. Went to the dealership and they said I need a new radio. Now twice since their analysis, I’ve had to jumpstart the car. When running, battery voltage is 14.1. Has anyone had a similar issue? I think it’s strange a dead radio would be draining the battery.
Of course, even though I’m still well under the 36 month warranty period, I’m slightly over in mileage, so it’s not covered. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,780 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A bad radio can keep the can bus from going to sleep which can drain the battery. According to the FSM, 20 days without use is long enough to cause the battery to drop significantly but if the bus is active it can happen within a couple of days.

You could also check the Uconnect site for any firmware upgrades, but I am sure the dealership already checked.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
Batt is probably going out.
2yrs on the factory unit is about on par. This probably has nothing or little to do with the uconnect head unit going bad. Been there done that on both.
Anyway, along with a new batt, grab a battery tender, they are cheap, as in under $20. use it whenever the car is parked more than a day or two. It will save you from coming out to a dead batt.
Batt drain comes from multiple things, even your car/proximity key fobs, low jack (if equipped) and other systems talk all the time, they talk to dodge, detect each other, etc..all of which pulls alittle tiny bit of power, even when the car is off.
BTW, running volts, differs from starting volts required.
At 11.2v - 11.4v the car will go into limp mode and all sorts of things will act up, even if you get it started. The batts ability to hold charge, seems to be the more common issue when they get old (relative term here) though. Ive never gotten more than 2 - 2.5yrs out a factory batt, even using a tender on a constant basis.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
2018 GT with Interior Package Upgrade. 2 weeks ago the screen would not come on for radio or back-up camera. USB ports also didn’t work. I tried everything I could find on this forum and nothing worked. Went to the dealership and they said I need a new radio. Now twice since their analysis, I’ve had to jumpstart the car. When running, battery voltage is 14.1. Has anyone had a similar issue? I think it’s strange a dead radio would be draining the battery.
Of course, even though I’m still well under the 36 month warranty period, I’m slightly over in mileage, so it’s not covered. Thank you for any help.
Probably not the radio. With the engine running with reasonable electrical load a battery voltage of 14.1V is "normal".

My limited experience with my Hellcat is lack of sufficient use has the battery run down. While the battery still starts the engine -- with maybe a hint of some delay/hesitation but not enough for one to be able with 100% confidence say hey that battery's low -- I believe a substantial dip in power at start and during which time the radio/uConnect system is powering up. The result? Most often the Performance Pages app refuses to load. But once or twice the LCD had vertical blue bars that only a power off would remove.

Oh, and the reason I took the car in was the +paddle would trigger a downshift instead of an upshift. The shop foreman checked the car and found several low power error codes. These were stealth codes as the car had never manifested any CEL. Plus I data log the car and I checked the logs and did not find one instance of an active error code. (The device checks for one every 60 seconds.)

After the car was given two flash updates I did my part and drove the car more often. At least several times a week for my work commute of 30 miles. Thus 60 miles a day.

Since then -- except when I slacked off and failed to drive the Hellcat that much -- the Performance Pages has always loaded. I have not seen the blue bars. And the +paddle always upshifts, never a downshift.

What does all of the above mean? Well, you might not be driving the car enough to keep the battery charged up and to replenish the battery what it lost from starting the engine.

In my situation using a battery charger/maintainer is not an option: No garage no convenient electrical outlet. So I just have to drive the Hellcat. (I know, poor baby...)

In your situation assess your use of the car. If infrequent or just a lot of short trips with various stops along the way with an engine start at each one it could be your car is manifesting the result of a low battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts