Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have 2016 challenger scat pack with a radio 8.4 navigation. Im wondering how can i put a carplay to it. I dont want to replace the radio and I know that 2017 and up has already carplay from factory. I think 2016 and 2017 are the same radio just different 2016 no carplay. how can I add that features to my radio in order to play carplay? thank you for help.

·
Registered
14,078 Posts
I think 2016 and 2017 are the same radio just different 2016 no carplay.
The 16 and 17 radio totally different and don't think there is any way other than swapping the radio and the media hub to get Carplay to work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I put a Kenwood unit plus Miastro. It has car play and android auto. Works fine.
SInce the OP has a 2016, putting in an aftermarket head-unit isn't an option. The OEM head-unit controls many aspects of the car on the 2015+ models (HVAC, heated, heated/cooled seats, etc).

So as others have stated, the only way to get Android Auto/Car Play is to replace the head-unit with a head-unit from a 2017+ vehicle (along with the media hub in the armrest) - and it is NOT cheap (you're looking at ~$1k+ just for used hardware).

OP - you can buy them at infotainment.com. They also have instructions for how to do the swap. You can also buy them used on EBay and save a few hundred.... I rarely see them for less than $800 though, even on Ebay.

There are two versions - what they call the "UAS" and "UAQ". The "UAS" model does not have built-in navigation and the "UAQ" model does have built-in navigation. However, since they support AndroidAuto/CarPlay, most people don't use the built-in navigation anyway, so it's not all that beneficial for most (plus map upgrades aren't cheap).

Hope that helps.

·
Banned
155 Posts
SInce the OP has a 2016, putting in an aftermarket head-unit isn't an option. The OEM head-unit controls many aspects of the car on the 2015+ models (HVAC, heated, heated/cooled seats, etc).

So as others have stated, the only way to get Android Auto/Car Play is to replace the head-unit with a head-unit from a 2017+ vehicle (along with the media hub in the armrest) - and it is NOT cheap (you're looking at ~$1k+ just for used hardware).

OP - you can buy them at infotainment.com. They also have instructions for how to do the swap. You can also buy them used on EBay and save a few hundred.... I rarely see them for less than $800 though, even on Ebay.

There are two versions - what they call the "UAS" and "UAQ". The "UAS" model does not have built-in navigation and the "UAQ" model does have built-in navigation. However, since they support AndroidAuto/CarPlay, most people don't use the built-in navigation anyway, so it's not all that beneficial for most (plus map upgrades aren't cheap).

Hope that helps.
Why spend all that when you can buy a Kenwood unit + Maestro. I have this setup and it works great. All the car controls, Carplay and Android Auto for less.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
115 Posts
What year is your car? is it a '16?

Hopefully there are other options than this

Why spend all that when you can buy a Kenwood unit + Maestro. I have this setup and it works great. All the car controls, Carplay and Android Auto for less.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Because like I said in my original reply, replacing the stock head-unit with an aftermarket head-unit isn't even an option in the newer Challengers... It's not a standard-sized opening and the stock head-unit in the newer Challengers performs a lot of car functions, so you can't just replace it. The stock head-unit in the 2015+ Challengers controls all of your heating/AC functions, heated/cooled seats, things like Performance Pages, etc, etc, etc. There is no way to replace the stock head-unit. Completely different setup than in the older Challengers... Which is why I wanted to clarify (didn't want the OP to think that he can just buy a Kenwood unit - you can't).

·
Banned
155 Posts
Because like I said in my original reply, replacing the stock head-unit with an aftermarket head-unit isn't even an option in the newer Challengers... It's not a standard-sized opening and the stock head-unit in the newer Challengers performs a lot of car functions, so you can't just replace it. The stock head-unit in the 2015+ Challengers controls all of your heating/AC functions, heated/cooled seats, things like Performance Pages, etc, etc, etc. There is no way to replace the stock head-unit. Completely different setup than in the older Challengers... Which is why I wanted to clarify (didn't want the OP to think that he can just buy a Kenwood unit - you can't).
I never said only buy a Kenwood unit. And this won't give you all of those options? iDatalink - Maestro - Maestro RR
Maestro.JPG

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I never said only buy a Kenwood unit. And this won't give you all of those options? iDatalink - Maestro - Maestro RR
The Kenwood was just an example. There is NO aftermarket headunit that will give you the HVAC functions, performance pages, heated/cooled seat functions and a ton of other stuff that you NEED the OEM head-unit for. Nor would they even physically fit correctly. There is NO aftermarket headunit for a 2015+ Challenger.

That it why the folks at PAC makes the PAC AmpPro 4 units - because it's more and more common that you can't replace the factory head-units on newer cars. They are way too integrated into the car functions.

It's completely different than the setup in a 2012 Challenger.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have a 2015 R/T and if I wanted to do this isn't there some other accessory I would need for my heated/ventilated seats to work?
If you wanted to do what? Replace the stock head-unit with an aftermarket head-unit? There is no way to replace the stock head-unit on a 2015+ Challenger and still retain all of the functions that the stock head-unit performs. You really have to stick with an OEM head-unit - period.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I should clarify. There is always a way to do something. I'm sure you could "relocate" the OEM head-unit somewhere in addition to an aftermarket unit for all of the stuff the OEM head-unit does (people have done that for other vehicles in the past), but at that point, you'd be spending more than the a replacement OEM unit would cost (you would have to "relocate" and mount the OEM head-unit somewhere, come up a custom mounting solution for the aftermarket head-unit (and relocated stock unit), etc....

ANYTHING can be done if you spend enough money - but my point was that there is no easy way to completely replace the OEM head-unit while still retaining all of the OEM functionality - like you could with the pre-2015 Challengers.

The 8.4" units are actually pretty functional - they even support FLAC files, etc Really no reason to go full aftermarket, especially considering the costs involved to do so (would be thousands of dollars due to all of the custom work needed). Just not practical.

Just wanted to clarify. :)

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
If you wanted to do what? Replace the stock head-unit with an aftermarket head-unit? There is no way to replace the stock head-unit on a 2015+ Challenger and still retain all of the functions that the stock head-unit performs. You really have to stick with an OEM head-unit - period.
no replace my 2015 unit and media stack with a 2018 and up with Android Auto from someone like Infotainment.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
no replace my 2015 unit and media stack with a 2018 and up with Android Auto from someone like Infotainment.
Ah, OK. Then no, there is nothing special you need to do for you heated/cooled seats. Just replace the OEM head-unit with one from 2017+ and replace the media hub in the console. Infotainment.com has a lot of great documentation on the exact procedure (including how to remove the head-unit, media hub, etc). But everything will "just work" once you upgrade. A few members here have done it and have posted their experiences if you search for it.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Please see the link I shared above. Its available but costly
Thanks,
I already sent a question to infotainment asking them about this. They used to sell a "pig tail" that you needed for 2015s to make the heated seat work, IIRC. I think it was about 300 on top of the 1600 at that time but, like I said it was a couple of years ago so I need a "refresher course" on my info.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Thanks,
I already sent a question to infotainment asking them about this. They used to sell a "pig tail" that you needed for 2015s to make the heated seat work, IIRC. I think it was about 300 on top of the 1600 at that time but, like I said it was a couple of years ago so I need a "refresher course" on my info.
Interesting - I haven't heard of this, but I'm certainly no expert. I'm curious to hear what you find out and if it's a 2015-only thing. I definitely don't remember reading other members needing a special pigtail for the heated/cooled seats when they upgraded - but again, it may be a 2015-only thing or something like that.

You can get these units on Ebay for about $800-$1000 if you are interested in saving some $$$. Obviously, you won't have the support from infotainment though.

Yes, it's expensive to upgrade, but for something that you use each and evey time you use your car, it's not that big of an expense over the lifetime of the car - and certainly will make the car much more enjoyable having AndroidAuto or CarPlay.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts