Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Challenger SE with the "nothing special" radio. CD\Sirius\AM-FM\Aux. The last couple of days, when I start the car, I get no lights from the radio for at least a couple of minutes. Then it comes on and all is well. No particular time, it just happens. This occurs sporadically. Any ideas on what this could be? Pushing on\off does nothing until it's ready.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Not sure on your radio but both our 2009 and 2010s have the MyGig RER with the touchscreen. Every so often they do what are describing. This is just a guess but I think it may have to do with re indexing the music on the hard drive - maybe. Worried me the first few times but it has not gotten worse or failed to come on.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I believe your faceplate is not making good contact with the rest of the receiver. The fix, as stupid as it sounds, may just be a reasonably firm palm to the radio. Here's what I'm talking about:

If that little 10 pin connector isn't making good contact then the whole radio display won't work, and it may not allow the radio itself to power up. If you're willing to tinker a bit you can separate the faceplate from the radio chassis and hit it with some canned air.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, after stepping into the car tonight, the dang thing won't power up at all now. Dark as an undertakers heart. I pushed on the face plate and got nothing. How hard is it to get the plate off? How do you get to the screws? Do I have to remove the AC\Heater knobs and trim?

Greg

·
Registered
956 Posts
Well, after stepping into the car tonight, the dang thing won't power up at all now. Dark as an undertakers heart. I pushed on the face plate and got nothing. How hard is it to get the plate off? How do you get to the screws? Do I have to remove the AC\Heater knobs and trim?

Greg
Yes you do. It's not that difficult. The full center bezel is held in by pressure. Take a flathead screwdriver, wrap it in a towel so you don't scratch anything, and pry in the lower corners until the bezel pops forward. Work around the edges until it comes loose, but don't pull it out more than a few inches. There are a few electrical connectors back there you need to unhook. They aren't "fragile", but you don't want to be yanking on them.

Undo the electrical plugs and set the bezel/knobs aside. This exposes the 4 screws to remove the radio. Unscrew them with a medium phillips. Pull the radio out so you can get to the rest of the electrical connections back there. You'll have a couple of big bundles and some smaller ones for the antennas. Undo all of them and take the radio inside the house.

Here's a link to my photobucket account so you can see some pictures. Feel free to poke around in there. I'm linking you directly to the "head unit" section: Head Unit Photos by stormceri | Photobucket

After that it's just gently working around the edges of the faceplate with a flathead or trim tool (a butter knife would work fine too). This pops the faceplate off. Hit it with some canned air and see if you can reseat the connector better.

....or if you're still under warranty take it to the dealership and complain....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks a bunch for the inputs. My radio looks just like the one you have. Wish I COULD take it back to the dealer under warranty but "Miss Lady" now has 140K miles on her. Warranty is long gone. The only saving grace is now, with no radio, I can listen to the SRT dual exhaust I have on my SE V6. Sounds real nice. I'll try your procedure later and cross my fingers.

Greg

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, last night I finally got the chance to get at the radio. Took about 10 minutes to get it out. I parted the head unit from the case, cleaned out the contacts with alcohol and cuetips, put the whole shebang back together then back in. This morning, the radio came on as usual (it was cold out side), but after the car was warm, it went off again. Came back on in four minutes then off and on again. I guess that didn't work. Any other ideas what this could be?

Greg

·
Registered
144 Posts
buy a replacement oem head unit. The standard single disc is dirt cheep on ebay or in the forsale forums here.

Or the challenger gods may be telling you its time for a touch screen :) lol

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like there's a replacement RES\RSC in my near future. How does one change Sirius from one deck to another?

Greg

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Final update. Bought a good unit from a board member. Replaced radio. Took about 15 minutes for the job start to finish. Called Sirius to update my account with the new radio ID. Back in business. Thanks to everyone for the inputs.

Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts