Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

I don't (at least currently) own a Challenger, but I'd love to, I have loved these cars since I first saw them...
I loved them even before I saw the first 2008 model (which I spied on the outskirts of Chicago, at least a month before I saw one in my area).

Any-who, I decided to have a little fun, and on my recent trip to Los Angeles (to visit family) I arranged to rent a Challenger;
I actually had to go back after they put me in the "wrong" car the first night - but on the upside, instead of a V6 car, I had the pleasure of driving a 2018 R/T for the better part of a week!

I enjoyed that car probably too much - even though it was a plain old 'base' R/T with the boring automatic.

One thing that I noticed while in the rental, was that the radio would occasionally shut off then turn back on;
When I returned the car, I was told that this was fairly common with these cars.

Is that legit?

Is the radio turning off a common problem?

I mean, we're not talking about a base model sub-compact Toyota where you might expect this kind of crap - locally it would cost me north of $40k to get into a Challenger R/T;
To be precise, it would cost me $46,785 to get a R/T with:
- six speed (it's a cost option in Canada)
- the Classic Appearance package
- the Super Track Pack
- the 8.4" U-connect Navigation stereo
- all season tires.
Does a car that is knocking on the door of being $50k really have radio issues - because I would think it shouldn't.

Thanks in advance for anything that you can share with me.

PS favorite colours are B5-Blue, Go-Mango, and Plum-Crazy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and if anyone cares;

A 2017 R/T-T/A with:
- manual transmission
- compact spare tire
- high performance brakes
Would set me back $49,680

A 2017 R/T-Scatpack (aka: R/T-392) with:
- manual transmission
- 8.4" U-connect
Would set me back $53,290

A 2017 T/A-392 with:
- manual transmission
- 8.4" U-connect
Would set me back $62,085

... yup, I might have spent a little more time than normal post-vacation looking into what these might cost to build.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
There's been some glitches with the head units on '17s - they changed hardware suppliers [to Panasonic] and I haven't heard if the '18s are affected by this.
- in some instances, the head units are getting replaced if software flashes don't remedy the problem.

The prior years '15 / '16 were Harmon manufactured units and mainly its been software updates (that eventually get fixed) that have been going with those.

Reactions: Wicked V

·
Registered
153 Posts
My 2017 SPS acts up sometimes. It will turn off, then turn back on almost like its rebooting it. Sometimes it'll just completely turn off and and not turn back on unless I turn on/off the car.

Its like a once a month type of thing, if it happened everyday then I would be concerned, but hey I have warranty so who cares.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is good to know, please keep it coming;
Were I to purchase, I would undoubtedly go with a "lifetime" on the Sirius radio - just as I have with my Cobalt (which was without watering it down, a compromise car - fun, but still quite economical... except for insurance - ouch!);
I have understood that Sirius REALLY doesn't like transferring a 'lifetime' subscription to a radio that was replaced under warranty... so this is all good to know.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I wish that the radio, at least in the twenty fifteens, would stop turning on at start up. Mad annoying. I prefer the sound of the car over radio. But that is just me.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I wish that the radio, at least in the twenty fifteens, would stop turning on at start up. Mad annoying. I prefer the sound of the car over radio. But that is just me.
all the '15+ still have radio / audio start up. The more recent years have an "OFF" switch, which functions the same as pushing the volume knob to mute. Its back to "ON" with the next key On cycle.

Reactions: ChallengerBoston

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,735 Posts
Sirius doesn't do lifetime any more. If you have one, they will do a total of 3 transfers

A Guy

·
Registered
397 Posts
17+ with off button

all the '15+ still have radio / audio start up. The more recent years have an "OFF" switch, which functions the same as pushing the volume knob to mute. Its back to "ON" with the next key On cycle.
Mine does NOT work this way. If you hit the off button it stays off through many manual restarts. If you hit the off button and use the autostart feature it comes on automatically then. I have also tested that it comes on randomly after you turn it off if you used autostart to start the car. Cycling the start button manually to acc-on-off once you turned the car off prevents this strange behavior as well.

I think it may be quirky still as the radio just started doing this once I added the remote start feature.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Mine does NOT work this way. If you hit the off button it stays off through many manual restarts. If you hit the off button and use the autostart feature it comes on automatically then. I have also tested that it comes on randomly after you turn it off if you used autostart to start the car. Cycling the start button manually to acc-on-off once you turned the car off prevents this strange behavior as well.

I think it may be quirky still as the radio just started doing this once I added the remote start feature.

Ron
to clarify further - did you open the door after key "OFF" (this turns off courtesy power to accessories)?

What I was referring to as example - you get in car start up, radio / audio program is on. You mute it.

Make a stop (store / work / etc), get back in the car and start it up. That's when the audio / radio is back on again.

If I sit in my car, shut ignition "OFF", (I have courtesy power set to max = 10 mins) and cycle the ignition [without opening door], my audio will stay off, since the head unit doesn't power down.

If the unit powers down (courtesy power times out / or open the door) it start is all over again on the next ignition "ON".

·
Registered
681 Posts
Before I put my T/A 392 away everything in the lower console stopped working. Volume control, sport button, and climate controls etc etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have lost count of the numerous times my vehicle has been into the dealership for "repairs" from updates to radio replacement to media hub replacement. You can see in the video my husband and I made one of the issues we're experiencing.

I haven't even owned the car one year yet and just had it in for it's first oil change.

When we've called in for assistance to Dodge before we knew this was a widespread issue the excuses we got ranged from "this is the first time we're hearing of this!" to "we'll get a software update for you. yeah, sometimes we do them on an individual client basis" lol, that last one was our favorite.

Usually it's someone from Dodge telling us to call UConnect who then tries to pawn crap off on Sirius (Guardian) and then all around the mulberry bush again. I currently have 4 open tickets on my car. One with Dodge, one with UConnect, One with Sirius Guardian and one with my dealership. Guess how many have been addressed since August? If you've guessed 0 you'd be correct!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have lost count of the numerous times my vehicle has been into the dealership for "repairs" from updates to radio replacement to media hub replacement. You can see in the video my husband and I made one of the issues we're experiencing.

I haven't even owned the car one year yet and just had it in for it's first oil change.

When we've called in for assistance to Dodge before we knew this was a widespread issue the excuses we got ranged from "this is the first time we're hearing of this!" to "we'll get a software update for you. yeah, sometimes we do them on an individual client basis" lol, that last one was our favorite.

Usually it's someone from Dodge telling us to call UConnect who then tries to pawn crap off on Sirius (Guardian) and then all around the mulberry bush again. I currently have 4 open tickets on my car. One with Dodge, one with UConnect, One with Sirius Guardian and one with my dealership. Guess how many have been addressed since August? If you've guessed 0 you'd be correct!
wow! :surprise:

It looks like I've stumbled upon something here...
I hope this gets ironed out for you soon!

Reactions: Wicked V

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sirius doesn't do lifetime any more. If you have one, they will do a total of 3 transfers

A Guy
I have understood that it is still offered, but not advertised;
You need to call in, and specifically ask about it.

I believe that Sirius-Canada flat out no longer offers it, but my account is a USA-account (thank goodness for state-side family!), and that is how my Cobalt's lifetime is...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,735 Posts
Any idea what it cost?

A Guy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts