Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's pouring pretty hard here in socal. The door opening being as wide as it is, how do you prevent water from damaging your car? Water will get into the buttons that control your locks, windows, mirrors. See attached photo. That's just me trying to get in closing my umbrella and getting into the seat. Is there a better smarter option? Please share

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
We're getting it pretty hard to over here in Vegas. I would suggest nixing the umbrella. You'll sped less time with the door open and undoubtedly there is water flowing off the umbrella onto the door as you try to close it. Without the umbrella, getting in the car and closing the door should be pretty quick resulting in much less exposure to water.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Quit worrying about it. Cars are made to be exposed to the elements. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Just drive the car and enjoy it. Sincerely.

My car sits OUTSIDE (gasp!!!) 24/7 and gets driven every day rain, snow, or shine. Expend your energy elsewhere my friend. It’s going to be just fine! :)

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
i have a garage, i was leaving target but would be nice to have a second car
Exactly why I only bought the R/T, My '75 sits around here, housing some animals :( the R/T sits in the garage, my wife has an '06 Charger and I bought an '06 Jeep Liberty for work. I screwed up when I bought my R/T. I traded in a paid off 2010 Caliber with 12k miles on it so I had to buy the Jeep. I need to either Sell the R/T and spend about 14k on the '75 or find someone who is really into the late B bodies (1975) and see if they will give it a good home... Oh well I'm done moaning....

·
Registered
252 Posts
For the amount it actually does rain in Southern California, closing the umbrella first, opening the door, toss the umbrella into the passenger foot well, get in and get going.

Seriously, we have car shows all year round. A little water on the door isn't going to hurt anything. If its something you have an itch about just have a towel in the car and dab it up.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger RT/STP A8
226 Posts
Just put your umbrella in the trunk, and hop into your car quicker!...as stated before we really don't see too much rain here in socal. Shouldn't be a big concern.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,995 Posts
It's pouring pretty hard here in socal. The door opening being as wide as it is, how do you prevent water from damaging your car? Water will get into the buttons that control your locks, windows, mirrors. See attached photo. That's just me trying to get in closing my umbrella and getting into the seat. Is there a better smarter option? Please share
Well, the auto maker could move the window door lock controls from the door to the center console or center stack of the dash.

Neither of my Porsches had any window/door lock controls on the door. The outside mirror control was mounted up on the bottom of the A-pilar, wasn't even part of the door.

So when I opened the door in rain while some water got on the interior of my door all I had to worry about is the water on the door arm rest getting my shirt sleeve damp. I carried a roll of paper towels in each car and would use a sheet to wipe down the inside of the door, the arm rest, if any rain fell on these surfaces when the door was open.

It was raining the other day and I had to get in my Challenger after its oil/filter service was done. Didn't have my umbrella with me. It was raining when I dropped the car off but I pulled into the service entrance which is protected from the elements. Got out of the car with no rain falling on me and didn't even think I'd need to carry an umbrella into the dealer with me. Didn't think the dealer valet would park the car out in the rain. Should have said something.

But I got in the car and the door closed in nearly no time. Still some water was on the controls. Just reached around and tore off a paper towel sheet and wiped the door down before I drove away.

At other times with an umbrella with me -- I have a nice one that collapses to about a 12" long thing that can slip into a leather pouch ( it is a Porsche umbrella and the pouch believe it or not fits into a cavity in the rocker panel on the passenger side of the car ) -- I use the umbrella to shield the door (and me) from rain while it is open then quickly close the umbrella and toss it to the floor on the passenger side of the car as I quickly get in and close the door.

If any water is on the door surfaces I just paper towel dry the water as the engine idles a bit before driving off.

As others have commented upon, and I agree, the auto maker had to be aware some rain water would fall on the door and the materials/controls are relatively immune to any damage. I wouldn't leave the door open any longer than I had to to get in or out of the car and I never park a car anywhere with windows down (or in the case of my Boxster with its top down) but I wouldn't worry about a few drops of rain falling on the interior surfaces of the door.

My biggest worry is how stupid/crazy people drive out here in the rain. Instead of slowing them down making them more cautious it appears to many to have just the opposite effect.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Anyone have window deflectors for the Challenger? I haven't really seen any good looking ones on account of the frameless windows... but it would probably help. I love having them on my Tahoe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts