Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first experience with these yesterday. Pretty impressed.
I don't usually drive my Challenger when it's raining. That's what my 2001 truck is for. But had to take my car to the dealer yesterday ostensibly to have my shift light fixed (Same problem many M6 members are having as well). It still doesn't work but that's a whole different story.
Anyway, during the near 1 hour drive to the dealership I got caught in a pop up thunderstorm.
Turned on the wipers and they came on. Didn't even realize I was in the Auto setting. It was pouring and the wipers were going really fast. Suddenly it stopped and to my surprise, so did my wipers.
Even more cool, as it began to start raining again lightly they came back on very slowly and as the intensity of the rain waxed and waned, the wiper speed auto adjusted to be appropriate for the level of precipitation.
Maybe I am too easily impressed with technology but I had no idea they had this capability. I just figured they turned on by themselves and the you turned them off when you didn't need them any longer.
I'm gonna have to start driving in the rain more. I like em'! :)

Reactions: Minnesota Muscle

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm impressed with them. They automatically change speeds, and turn on and off themselves. I know the sensor for them is by the rear view mirror. But how do they work, sound, radar, etc.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
73 Posts
I'm impressed with them. They automatically change speeds, and turn on and off themselves. I know the sensor for them is by the rear view mirror. But how do they work, sound, radar, etc.
I believe it's an optical sensor that projects infrared light onto the windshield.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
470 Posts
I live in a state where we frequently have trickles of rain that come and go. It can be really annoying to constantly adjust wipers to avoid the screech of wipers on a dry windshield. I love my rain sensing wipers.

Reactions: rk_house

·
Registered
2021 Challenger SXT, Octane Red Metallic, Ruby Red/Black Int.
273 Posts
It is a neat piece of tech.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,989 Posts
I really appreciate the ease of rain sensing wipers. This is one of those “fluff” accessories I really like. I’m also a big fan of the blind spot warning indicators too.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T
102 Posts
Had a 2002 Trail Blazer that the sensor was behind the rear view mirror. I could reach up and swipe the back of the sensor and the wipers would make one pass, kind of humorous.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,018 Posts
Been "hooked" on rain sensing wipers since my first car with them, my 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo. I hate having to fiddle with the wiper control to adjust wiper speed as the rain (or road spray) changes intensity. A real distraction when in traffic and in CA I was always in traffic when it rained. Thus I consider this a safety system.

Similarly I like auto climate control for the same reason. This was an option with my 2002 Porsche Boxster. With a manual A/C (and heater) system I was always having to adjust the settings as I drove. Sure while ambient temperature didn't change that much around "town" (on the highway it could change a considerable amount as I drove from a low elevation area to a high elevation area, could go from needing the A/C to needing the heater) as I drove this affected the amount of sunlight hitting/entering the car through the glass. Like rain sensing wipers I consider auto climate controls a safety system.

Rain sensing wipers. Auto climate control. Auto dimming mirrors. And in the Dodge the blind spot warning sensors are must have options for me. However, I admit my 2020 M-B van only has rain sensing wipers and dimming mirrors. But it has much less "glass" than a car -- the van has no windows in the cargo area nor in the rear cargo doors -- and I have found while it is not automatic the A/C system once set does a pretty good job of keeping the van interior comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
17,110 Posts
I believe it's an optical sensor that projects infrared light onto the windshield.
that's correct - there's a sending IR led and a receiver - it detects the refraction (rain drops on glass)

I have this feature on my '01 'Benz (which I still own).

When this package was offered on the Challenger, I ordered this for my '16. For the M6 this package has Rain - sensing wipers and Auto high beams so its substantially less expense than the pkg with the A8 with adds the Adaptive Cruise Control

What's nice is it has 3 levels of sensitivity and you can leave it on standby - it will turn on by itself and shut down when no rain is detected.

no having to turn the intermittent sweep up / down - and if you want it can also be run manually for Low and High speed operation

Reactions: VyperD65

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
4,591 Posts
I am a big fan of these, have had them on many cars. And I like how they don't run in neutral so if you are in a car wash, they won't kick on.
And yes, I do use a car wash every now and then. Never once noticed a mark.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
" 3 levels of sensitivity"
How is this adjusted?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Meh, not feeling it for the rain sensing wipers.
I'm more of a Rain-x guy. Wipers are kind distracting, to me. I like that Rain-x windshield washer fluid. I run it all year, anymore.
Good stuff,
Its hard to find a good wiper blade anymore, If you find one stick with them.

best regards
parrott

Reactions: TXRT

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm more of a Rain-x guy. Wipers are kind distracting, to me. I like that Rain-x windshield washer fluid. I run it all year, anymore.
Good stuff,

best regards
parrott
These are good wipers. But a little pricey.
And I like Rain-X too. Doing my windshield today. But still need wipers sometimes.
wiper.jpg

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Premium Member
10,280 Posts
Good stuff,

best regards
parrott
I use rain-x latitude wiper blades (good stuff) in my cars and my truck.
The funny thing is I have never even turned the wipers on in my Challenger in all nine years I’ve had it. Its never been out in anything other than sunny warm/hot days.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sounds like FCA improved things since my ALfa 159 -

You can be driving along in brilliant sunshine, not a drop of rain in the sky, when it suddenly does a sweep . . . or light drizzle when an odd wipe wouldn't go amiss, and it sets off on monsoon setting . . . or it is monsoon, and it lazily does a wipe every 5 mins . . . And in fog/mist when you want an intermittent wipe to clear moisture from the screen, it wont . . need to switch them on properly and then off after a wipe. The screen has to be perfectly clean, and not have too many stone strike pits - if you look through a new car screen and one thats a few years old with some decent mileage on the clock, you will see the difference. And the blades had to be pretty new - no damage to leave streaks on the glass.

There is a solution with the Alfa - cut the sensors wires, reprogramme the ECU a bit, and then the three sensitivity settings become speed variations of intermittent wipe - this was posted on the Alfa owners forum after an owner cut the wires ;):

My auto wipers have been replaced by a more advanced bio-mechanical system. It is a fantastic system and significantly more reliable than the system originally fitted to the car.

The system consists of a multi-position switch, an advanced optical sensor, a bio-mechanical, multi-function actuator and a simple control unit.

Here's how it works:

1. The optical sensor monitors the state of the screen contamination.
2. The optical sensor sends signals to the control unit where the severity of the visibility situation is assessed using advanced algorithms.
3. The control unit decides on the appropriate response to send to the bio-mechanical actuator and, almost instantaneously, sends signals to the mechanical actuator.
4. The actuator moves the mutli-position switch to the position dictated by the control unit.
5. Using a closed loop control system philosophy, the control unit constantly monitors the visibility parameters and sends correction signals to the the bio-mechanical actuator which adjusts the position of the multi-function switch to vary the frequency of the screen wipers.

Even with the mutli-function switch in the off position the optical sensor is always active and is in constant communication with the control unit.

The multi-function actuator is a remarkable piece of technology, often used in pairs, and is capable of carrying out a huge variety of functions when connected to an appropriately advanced control unit.

·
Super Moderator
17,110 Posts
Sounds like FCA improved things since my ALfa 159 -

You can be driving along in brilliant sunshine, not a drop of rain in the sky, when it suddenly does a sweep . . . or light drizzle when an odd wipe wouldn't go amiss, and it sets off on monsoon setting . . . or it is monsoon, and it lazily does a wipe every 5 mins . . . And in fog/mist when you want an intermittent wipe to clear moisture from the screen, it wont . . need to switch them on properly and then off after a wipe. The screen has to be perfectly clean, and not have too many stone strike pits - if you look through a new car screen and one thats a few years old with some decent mileage on the clock, you will see the difference. And the blades had to be pretty new - no damage to leave streaks on the glass.

There is a solution with the Alfa - cut the sensors wires, reprogramme the ECU a bit, and then the three sensitivity settings become speed variations of intermittent wipe - this was posted on the Alfa owners forum after an owner cut the wires ;):

My auto wipers have been replaced by a more advanced bio-mechanical system. It is a fantastic system and significantly more reliable than the system originally fitted to the car.

The system consists of a multi-position switch, an advanced optical sensor, a bio-mechanical, multi-function actuator and a simple control unit.

Here's how it works:

1. The optical sensor monitors the state of the screen contamination.
2. The optical sensor sends signals to the control unit where the severity of the visibility situation is assessed using advanced algorithms.
3. The control unit decides on the appropriate response to send to the bio-mechanical actuator and, almost instantaneously, sends signals to the mechanical actuator.
4. The actuator moves the mutli-position switch to the position dictated by the control unit.
5. Using a closed loop control system philosophy, the control unit constantly monitors the visibility parameters and sends correction signals to the the bio-mechanical actuator which adjusts the position of the multi-function switch to vary the frequency of the screen wipers.

Even with the mutli-function switch in the off position the optical sensor is always active and is in constant communication with the control unit.

The multi-function actuator is a remarkable piece of technology, often used in pairs, and is capable of carrying out a huge variety of functions when connected to an appropriately advanced control unit.
we're talking about Alfa Romeo - and you know the baggage that comes along with that marque'

·
Super Moderator
17,110 Posts
How is this adjusted?
the first detent (from Off position) is the lowest sensitivity and there's three more (just checked it) after that, its the conventional On for low speed and next is high speed

if you try this out with the vehicle off, you'll notice the detents - they're rather soft feel, so if you're driving you wouldn't notice them as much.

it beats having to constantly adjust the older style variable delay cycle - and that was a huge improvement over having only on / off wipers. no longer dealing with the dry wiper or chatter or replacing a worn-out switch / stalk

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man

·
Registered
269 Posts
i would have went with the rain sensing wipers, but i did not want the adaptive speed control, im guessing the m6 cars have no adaptive speed control so that gets rid of the big eyeball in the front....having a throwback shaker car i felt the eyeball was too out of place.
But since my car will likely not see much rain ill just have to live without, roughing it in the new widebody life can be a *****.
LOL

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
4,591 Posts
How is this adjusted?
Same control as wiper delay, if you have it activated, it is sensitivity, if turned off, it is delay.
Basically standard control on cars with this for the last 20 years actually. My oldest car that had it was a 2005 SLK 350, and my in-laws had a GMC Envoy with it in 2002.

Reactions: SKT PK 9 Man
1 - 20 of 28 Posts