Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I was on Car-buzz (mobile ONLY car app) when an article came in about Ralph stating the new 6.2 will have more horsepower then the Viper and may cause an issue due to it having more hp then the flagship SRT vehicle. The article was originally from Hot-Rod magazine but I am not sure which issue. I for one never thought they would put more hp in it then the Viper, and maybe they wont but it sounds like it will be around the same amount if not more....

I know a million threads about this, I did not see this info on here though and it came from the head so I thought I would post it.

If it does I would bet it would be in the 70k range which is also pretty crazy.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Hopefully this also means that Chrysler got the green light from FIAT to unleash Viper's potential w/o fearing restrictions from overshadowing Ferrari.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
^^^

I am with YellowJacket. Mr. Gilles seems to like using the press for his own motives.

Not that he is all bad news either. Reportedly, he is responsible for Viper still being with us, and he may also be responsible for a Challenger that still looks like an American icon; not a jellybean that melted on its voyage across the Atlantic. However, he seems happy poaching Dodge to shore up his fledgling SRT "brand".

As head of design, he has done great work on Grand Cherokee, Durango and new 200, decent work on 300, Charger and Dart; but I am not thrilled with his vision for Cherokee. If that car is half as good as the reviews say it is, this is despite how ugly it is, not because of it. And I am downright nervous about what he will do with Wrangler.

All in all, no doubt Mr Gilles has much pull inside and out Chrysler-FIAT, but I'd take most of what he says with a grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Gilles was not the lead designer for the Cherokee. That would be Greg Howell. The 2005 300 was Gilles' masterpiece. Now he is in charge of the SRT division. So please don't blame him for the creep Jeep.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Gilles was not the lead designer for the Cherokee. That would be Greg Howell. The 2005 300 was Gilles' masterpiece. Now he is in charge of the SRT division. So please don't blame him for the creep Jeep.
Sorry, credit for a masterpiece goes to the individual designer for his special talent; blame for ugliness goes to the boss for allowing it --and not doing his job.

Mr Gilles may not have penned Cherokee himself, but he remains head of Design. All styling decisions on that creepy Jeep had to clear his desk and, thus, the buck stops with him.

And I agree: the 2005 300 was Mr Gilles's masterpiece --and kudos to Tom Gale for the vision to support it

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
My understanding is Gale left in 2000. Viper, Prowler, cab forward and K cars were his designs. True Gilles is the exec VP of design but he can't over ride all his team's decisions or why have lead designers?

Also you have to consider where the design is coming from. Liberty and Compass models. I have a Grand Cherokee in my yard and never had I contemplated owning a Lib or Compass. Is the new design an improvement over the Compass? I think it could be.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I recall reading that Tom Gale built the case internally to take the LX vehicles to a RWD platform.

It took a lot of determination and courage to fight heaven and earth, and convince management that going RWD was a necessity to continue elevating the price point of its fullsize sedans.

I believe he was still playing a consultory/supervisory role when the 2005 300 was given the go ahead in the early 2000s.

But your point is valid: it is hard to assign credit and blame to styling. As good as the 2005 300 was, there were a bunch of other Chrysler products coming out around that time which we rather not remember :)

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
An internal power struggle in a major international corporation? This can't be true.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Supposedly when the V10 was developed for the Viper, the engine made more than 750 hp on the dynoes and then was detuned for reliability and emission purposes. The engine has been out long enough to get the most out of it and still pass emissions. And to recognize any reliability issues and address them.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Somebody on this forum once said that they don't think the Hellcat having more horsepower than the Viper is a big deal because the cars are aimed at different demographics. I agree with this. I don't believe that people are going to be cross shopping Vipers and Challengers. Two totally different segments and totally different price points. I don't think it matters how much HP the 6.2 is putting out as far as canabalizing sales goes.

·
Registered
285 Posts
More importantly, the Challenger will still be slower. Maybe it will convince them to do something to up the horsepower on the Viper. Maybe the launch of the Hellcat will show them that supercharging (either by turbo or engine driven) will be a good option for the Viper to try to regain its crown.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Somebody on this forum once said that they don't think the Hellcat having more horsepower than the Viper is a big deal because the cars are aimed at different demographics. I agree with this. I don't believe that people are going to be cross shopping Vipers and Challengers. Two totally different segments and totally different price points. I don't think it matters how much HP the 6.2 is putting out as far as canabalizing sales goes.
Hmmm...this is like saying it is okay to be someone's boss and get paid less. Sure, there are no guarantees in life, but it is hard to stomach.

Ferrari may be able to charge more money than Dodge for a car that produces 700 HP, but two Mopars that produce 650 HP priced too unevenly will result in the death of the more expensive one.

IMHO, Mr. Gilles's comment implies that Viper will produce more than 700 HP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts