Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Challenger R/T with the Nag1 trans; would like to put more gear in it as in 3.92 but the overdrive gear would allow the revs to be too high in my opinion. The Ram 6 speed has 2 overdrives and would work well here as I have this trans in my 2016 Ram reg cab with 3.92 gears. Will Ram trans fit my Challenger and would it work?

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
The short answer is, no, this won't work. Today's cars are nothing like the cars of the 70's, we can't just change a transmission, add a clutch and pedal assy and call it good. Your auto trans is tightly tied to the entire computer setup of the car. You'd have a huge ordeal on your hands. You would be way ahead of the game to sell your car and buy one with a manual trans.

·
Registered
16,219 Posts
The Ram 6-speed is an automatic, I wish we could still get a manual in a 1500 truck but those days are gone.

I think it would probably fit in the Challenger but getting it to function electronically would be the challenge. These automatics today are all shifted and controlled by computer so will be a big undertaking to get this to work unless somebody makes a standalone controller.

Agree, this 6-speed with a 3.92 gear would be awesome.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
I think the RFE transmission in the Ram (and Jeep Grand Cherokee) is physically larger, and won't fit.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
The Ram 6-speed is an automatic, I wish we could still get a manual in a 1500 truck but those days are gone.

I think it would probably fit in the Challenger but getting it to function electronically would be the challenge. These automatics today are all shifted and controlled by computer so will be a big undertaking to get this to work unless somebody makes a standalone controller.

Agree, this 6-speed with a 3.92 gear would be awesome.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
My bad, I had no idea there was a six speed auto in the mix. The things I learn around here. :)

Reactions: Slidd

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
My bad, I had no idea there was a six speed auto in the mix. The things I learn around here. :)
And the Ram/Jeep Grand Cherokee/Durango 6 speed was originally labelled as a 5 speed (with 6 ratios), it would only upshift using 5 gears, but had a mode during kickdown that it would use a special ratio. Then then changed the software so when using autostick/preselect, you could choose all 6 manually, so they could market it as a 6 speed legitimately, but the actual transmission didn't change internally.

Reactions: BlackHemi41
1 - 6 of 6 Posts