Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into a Ram Air kit that uses the factory hood and redirects the cooling air into ram air into the engine. it's made by CERVINIS. What I am wondering is if it's worth the upgrade, it's actually very affordable at $300.00. Also has anyone else done this? By the way there is an add in this month's MOPAR Muscle Mag.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The Cervinis set up looks way cool and even before I purchased a Challenger I was thinking that the Cervinis would be a must. However, as you will learn if you do some searches on here, The factory scoops according to the Dodge engineers are made to actually extract hot air from the engine compartment and not to allow air to be forced into the engine compartment.

Some well learned individuals on this site have said that installing this system will actually do the reverse of forcing air into the intake. Now, that does not take away from the cool factor but you may not get air forced into the intake like you might expect.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
I have it and love it. Does it work? One will never really know. Does it look cool? You bet. It has a hi flow cone filter like k&n. Did I notice a difference when I installed it? I think so. To each there own. For the price would I buy it again over a mopar cai. ? Yes.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
For someone that has the Cervini's system installed, I'd suggest conducting the paper test that they also did on the shaker hood setup; place a piece of paper up to the hood vent and have someone rev the engine to see if it is sucking in air.

I had the Cervinis on my R/T and it was a nice addition. There were small things like padding for the airbox to the hood and the PCV hose setup that were initial issues when it first came out.

Anyhow, someone try the test as we could all benefit from the knowledge.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thankyou to everyone for the input. I understand that the current stock set up is for cooling of the engine bay. but with the bolt on plenum is it not possible to create a ram injection? As for a layer of air preventing breathing through the hood vents, wouldn't that have been a problem for the original concept car with the butterfly valves directly feeding the engine? Still looking for more input.

·
Banned
664 Posts
Thankyou to everyone for the input. I understand that the current stock set up is for cooling of the engine bay. but with the bolt on plenum is it not possible to create a ram injection? As for a layer of air preventing breathing through the hood vents, wouldn't that have been a problem for the original concept car with the butterfly valves directly feeding the engine? Still looking for more input.
If you like it get it, for 300.00 it is a nice set up. All the wannabe engineers on this site do not have one, or even tested one. Speedy did a simple test to show air does come in the vents on his web site. I have the set up and can tell you debris from outside of the car has been on the lid of my air box from driving and I have the box sealed to the hood. Are you going to get a massive amount of ram injection as you call it no, the scoops are too small. Are you going to get a little outside air? sure and it cost about the same as a normal CAI.
I can assure everyone mine pulls air through the vents LOL

·
Registered
297 Posts
What do you do where the filter is? Is that all new parts are just a top on the factory air box ? Are do you have o buy another CAI to work with it? TANKS Ronnie

·
Registered
39 Posts
Excuse me Williams, I'm new to this, I just got my Challenger RT Classic 4 days ago, and have been considering the same thing. It looks like you are using a magna charger with that Cervini's inlet. So if it works like that, would it be possible to use the T/A hood with scoop they sell with that, or would there be clearance issues under the hood. It seems that if you could get it to function you would be receiving one hell of dose of a cooled ram air

·
Banned
664 Posts
What do you do where the filter is? Is that all new parts are just a top on the factory air box ? Are do you have o buy another CAI to work with it? TANKS Ronnie
It is all new parts, it resembles the factory air box in design. As it pulls air from the stock location also. It also reusues the stock SRT air tube, not supplied with it.
Excuse me Williams, I'm new to this, I just got my Challenger RT Classic 4 days ago, and have been considering the same thing. It looks like you are using a magna charger with that Cervini's inlet. So if it works like that, would it be possible to use the T/A hood with scoop they sell with that, or would there be clearance issues under the hood. It seems that if you could get it to function you would be receiving one hell of dose of a cooled ram air
I am using the magnacharger and do not know if the cervini TA hood with a underhood air box would clear. But yes I would think the TA hood would work better. the scoop is a little bigger and is up above the hood more the hood more.
You might call cervini and ask them if both set ups have the same clearance.

·
Registered
483 Posts
:werd:
If you like it get it, for 300.00 it is a nice set up. All the wannabe engineers on this site do not have one, or even tested one. Speedy did a simple test to show air does come in the vents on his web site. I have the set up and can tell you debris from outside of the car has been on the lid of my air box from driving and I have the box sealed to the hood. Are you going to get a massive amount of ram injection as you call it no, the scoops are too small. Are you going to get a little outside air? sure and it cost about the same as a normal CAI.
I can assure everyone mine pulls air through the vents LOL
Those that don't know anything, throw insults.

There is NO RAM INDUCTION. Here is some photographic evidence, first up is the NASCAR Dodge Challenger showing the boundary layer of air flowing over the surface of the car, causing the faster moving air to go over top.

Here is a video of the air tunnel testing.

Here you can see it on the SLS

Look at ANY wind tunnel testing, and you will see it.

That boundary layer does not allow air flow in, because it is low pressure, it will pull air out.

·
Banned
811 Posts
For someone that has the Cervini's system installed, I'd suggest conducting the paper test that they also did on the shaker hood setup; place a piece of paper up to the hood vent and have someone rev the engine to see if it is sucking in air.

I had the Cervinis on my R/T and it was a nice addition. There were small things like padding for the airbox to the hood and the PCV hose setup that were initial issues when it first came out.

Anyhow, someone try the test as we could all benefit from the knowledge.
That sort of test doesn't tell anything in regards to air moving over a moving car.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I am looking into a Ram Air kit that uses the factory hood and redirects the cooling air into ram air into the engine. it's made by CERVINIS. What I am wondering is if it's worth the upgrade, it's actually very affordable at $300.00. Also has anyone else done this? By the way there is an add in this month's MOPAR Muscle Mag.
Don't waste your money, whether the factory hood scoops are inlets or outlets they are way too small to be effective and on a moving car with low pressure over the hood it doesn't really make too much sense as mentioned in previous posts. You're better off investing in a tru CAI that get's its air from outside the engine compartment. That's where you'll get true benefit of cold air through the intake system. That along with a cooler running engine (180 deg TStat) and a tune will yield your best band for the buck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Part of the fun of having a muscle car is to modify it the way you want. Does it perform as a true Ram Air, probably not. Do I want to explain "heat extraction" benefits to every dude who asks about the scoops...double NO. I'll get one because it is what Dodge should have done initially...and it is old school. To each his own...

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Part of the fun of having a muscle car is to modify it the way you want. Does it perform as a true Ram Air, probably not. Do I want to explain "heat extraction" benefits to every dude who asks about the scoops...double NO. I'll get one because it is what Dodge should have done initially...and it is old school. To each his own...
I agree with you. I think you're right on the money when you say "Part of the fun of having a muscle car is to modify it the way you want". I do the very same thing when it comes to my mods, make it individual for me. My post however was directed at the OP specific question of "What I am wondering is if it's worth the upgrade". The answer to this specific question is NO. That of course is an opinion and you know what they say about those.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I installed the cervinis ram air and my testing is at the track!I gained an average of .3 tenths in the 1/4 mile over stock.To me thats real world testing.I will put it up against the mopar CAI any day.This thing really does work i dont care what anyone says!Now is it true Ram Air???Who cares?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Those that have no first hand experience or knowledge, need to copy and paste.
Thank you for proving my point so well.

Why would I go rent a wind tunnel and put a Challenger in it when it has already been done for us? Even if it is a NASCAR body, it still shows what is happening with the air flow over the body. And that is ideal downforce for racing. The air flow over our cars is nowhere near as clean.

·
Registered
93 Posts
:werd:

Those that don't know anything, throw insults.

There is NO RAM INDUCTION. Here is some photographic evidence, first up is the NASCAR Dodge Challenger showing the boundary layer of air flowing over the surface of the car, causing the faster moving air to go over top.

Here is a video of the air tunnel testing.

YouTube - New Dodge Challenger R/T NASCAR Nationwide Series car

Here you can see it on the SLS

Look at ANY wind tunnel testing, and you will see it.

That boundary layer does not allow air flow in, because it is low pressure, it will pull air out.
And here I thought those bugs that were holding on to my car while I was flying down the highway were just super strong. pfff :)

1 - 20 of 77 Posts