Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No problem with my Challenger but this happened yesterday with my 2001 Ram PU with <60.000mi...I'll find a more matched site to post this but I bet the experienced people here can give me at least an idea what is going on to ease the pain into reality of what it will take to get this fixed...

Three times on my way home yesterday I noticed upon taking off from stop lights a hesitation in speed. The tach was showing almost 2000 but speed stayed about 30 but eventually "kicked in" and got up to speed as I continued driving. Any idea what this might be? Is it about to die on me? Is it safe to (try) to drive it to a mechanic to should I just have it towed to prevent possible further damage or safety issue? Thanks for any input.

David

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Are you saying there was a long delay in a shift or the RPM's weren't climbing
even though you were giving it more gas?

·
Registered
599 Posts
When is the last time you had the transmission fluid and filters changed?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,190 Posts
Assuming it is an automatic transmission, your description makes it sound like the transmission is slipping.

If it's never had the fluid/filter changed, that would be the first place I would start. The mileage isn't excessive, but the years definitely put you into the 'overdue' category I think.

Then, once you do a fluid and filter service on the trans (or pay some place to do it if you're not comfortable doing it yourself), drive it again and see if it exhibits the same behavior. If it does not, you should be good to go for a while. Keep on driving it, but set your trans service reminder for every 12 months thereafter (or every 15K miles, whichever comes first).

If it still exhibits the same behavior even after the fluid/filter change, either that's not the issue or it's too far gone for new fluid and a fresh filter to help. Plan to address accordingly...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts