Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the track last night and ran a Pontiac G8 last night with CAI and exhaust. I didn't know these cars were as fast as they are. He ran a 13.8x and I ran a 14.17 at 99. I love my 6 speed but sometimes I wish I had got an automatic lol.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think they look distinctly different. It saddens me when someone asked me if it was the new 'camry' :(

Anyway, to date my mod list is: Magnuson TVS1900, mid length 1 7/8 kooks headers, kooks HFC, Roto-fab CAI mainly, some suspension bits (pedders lowering springs, bmr trailing arms & a few bushings) and anti-hop GForce axles. I just added Colder spark plugs & MSD wires & a Haddad motorsports tune.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Ah, there's the 12 second answer :)

Tom

I think they look distinctly different. It saddens me when someone asked me if it was the new 'camry' :(

Anyway, to date my mod list is: Magnuson TVS1900, mid length 1 7/8 kooks headers, kooks HFC, Roto-fab CAI mainly, some suspension bits (pedders lowering springs, bmr trailing arms & a few bushings) and anti-hop GForce axles.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
I went to the track last night and ran a Pontiac G8 last night with CAI and exhaust. I didn't know these cars were as fast as they are. He ran a 13.8x and I ran a 14.17 at 99. I love my 6 speed but sometimes I wish I had got an automatic lol.
Why? My best ETs at Bowling Green during CF2 with street tires, canned tune and cat back were better than a lot of the autos that day. Was 14.2 your best run or just a poor run?

What track and what time? Curious as to the D-A. Dunno much about G8s - I'm guessing either supercharged or turbocharged. Blown cars have got a distinct advantage in high D-A conditions vs a naturally aspirated car.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Is it the GXP?

Tom
I wish mine was... but its just a 6.0 GT. Same as the other G8 that was running.
What track and what time? Curious as to the D-A. Dunno much about G8s - I'm guessing either supercharged or turbocharged. Blown cars have got a distinct advantage in high D-A conditions vs a naturally aspirated car.
13.8 is a pretty average time for a very very very slightly mod'd G8 (like maybe with a CAI and superchips tune).

I love that the correction is generally .1 for my times. I want to say that I am in the 11's club but that is only with the correction factor. 12.06 was the best I could muster up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
99 mph in the 1/4 :scratchhead: Were you towing anything?

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
If it were 95 degrees and high humidity, it could be completely normal. We have no idea what the D-A was, and dockery has posted no details.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
60' 1/8 MPH 1/4 MPH
2.271 9.224 80.61 14.172 99.36

DA was 2828. Dragtimes.com DA calculator says that my corrected time is 13.6 at 102 MPH.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
that's not so bad then. you probably have about another 1/2 second or so left in her in good air. At CF2, my best run was 13.4, on street tires with no pressure adjustment, and the D-A corrected it to a 13.1

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that's not so bad then. you probably have about another 1/2 second or so left in her in good air. At CF2, my best run was 13.4, on street tires with no pressure adjustment, and the D-A corrected it to a 13.1
I didn't adjust my pressure either. I've took 10 lbs out of my tires before and still didn't hook any better.

·
Banned
1,428 Posts
I love my 6 speed but sometimes I wish I had got an automatic lol.
That's about the only time I would want an automatic, if I were to take my car to the track for a 1/4 mile run. But seeing as how I have never done that, I opted for the 6 speed.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The G8 cars are definitely stout. My sister in law has one and I got a chance to drive it a couple years ago and was impressed. They also handle very well. Chevrolet recently took the G8, slapped an ugly chevy front and rear end on it and sold it as a Caprice. It was meant to be a cop car but some of them have been sold to the public. I saw one on the interstate a week ago and thought it was a G8 from the side. But it just didn't look right in the front and rear.

Autos are great for drag racing, but for every day enjoyment I'll gladly take my 6 speed manual!

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
I've been thinking about the DA adjustment/calculators. I'm in TX and it doesn't get cool very often in the Southeast here, but we will see some some brisk days in the winter. When that happens, my boost moves up considerably. Let's say at least a full psi and prob a bit more. The AFR also leans considerably and the car just runs nasty mean, requiring tune adj's to keep the tuner happy ;-)

I'd bet there's more meat on the bone at the track than the adj's I've seen from the DA calculators. Also, I've never seen below sea level DA here in Houston so that's not it.

Thoughts? I've been keeping good logs of my runs this summer so hopefully I can do a before and after. Biggest issue I see with that is all the variables I've been changing. I need to get to a happy place as a base data point to have any science to it at all....

HemiSam

1 - 20 of 21 Posts