Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other week I was driving down our winding country road here in Bryson City, NC and came around a corner to find this guy about 3/4 over the centerline into my lane. I had under a second to react and decided going off-road was better than a head-on. Was going about 45-50mph, bounced through the corner of a gravel church parking lot smashing the front belly pans, then across a lawn and down into a smooth ditch.

He did pull over, and confessed he was looking down to change the radio station. "I'm really sorry."

Got the car up in the air after getting it home, found the new 2011 front spoiler I just installed was all gouged out underneath, the front belly pan (the expensive one) was cracked in half and had a good bucket of gravel trapped above it. The larger rear belly pan gouged out, but serviceable.

I ordered and have already received all three parts from the dealer. Apparently he's not sorry enough to pay for the damaged parts. I decided NOT to file a police report to keep my car fax clean, no other damage except for the plastic parts, total came to $356 for all three.

All in all, could have been much worse. At least now I can install the HID fog light kit since the pans are off! Be careful out there people, you may be the best driver in your city, but sometimes you gotta dodge 'that other guy'...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Yikes! Yeah, that would have been a whole lot worse if you hit him. At $356 you got off real easy. Sorry about your car though.

As for "sometimes you gotta dodge that other guy"... sometimes you don't get an opportunity to. lol

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Police

Very tough call. I'm sure you realized you would probably get the "not sorry enough to pay" response. I might have called the police because of the potential hidden damage (alignment issues, etc.); and who knows --perhaps he likes forcing folks off the road, and has other tickets/warrants.

Regardless, you did the right thing in avoiding the head-on collision. Don't worry about the accident report. When I buy a used car, I am more interested in the circumstances/quality of repairs than a supposed clean sheet. The companies that provide vehicle histories really don't do a very good job.

Thanks for sharing; there are lots of idiots out there!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmmmmm- - he stopped and you didn't get a plate number or call the police?
I got his name, phone number, and drivers license number. He said he had Geiko, but had no proof of insurance. I did go talk to the police dept immediately after it happened and reported it, but asked them not to generate an accident file. They took his information down.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The idiots I worry about most are the ones in parking lots. I couldn't tell you the number of times my truck has had a scuff or ding because someone can't look before opening their door. Had a similar situation as yours on a mountain road this past week. Luckily, the other guy saw and snatched over in time. There was no shoulder to run off to. Very scary for wife and son in the car as well. We've decided to find alternative routes in the moutains now. Most of these roads are just a little wider than a one lane. Very scary when one get someone else on there with you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had an experience where someone ran me off the road, admitted guilt and promised to pay for my blown tire replacement. I got all their information at the time.

After mailing the receipt for the tire to them I got no response and phone calls were not returned.

I went to my local small claims court website and filled out a claim form screen and printed it from the screen ie didn't actually submit it.

I mailed this with a letter to the other driver saying that I'd prefer not to have to pursue this route and would you please make good on your promise etc.

I got a check a week later.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
I've has so many people try to run me off the road.. I am on the horn before they are anywhere near me, and I am usually giving them the international gesture of how much I hate them... I ABSOLUTELY HATE bad drivers... I am the guy that pays attention, I don't look down at the radio, I don't text, I'm not on my cell phone.. I am in my car to DRIVE.

Sorry to hear about your experience :(

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had an experience where someone ran me off the road, admitted guilt and promised to pay for my blown tire replacement. I got all their information at the time.

After mailing the receipt for the tire to them I got no response and phone calls were not returned.

I went to my local small claims court website and filled out a claim form screen and printed it from the screen ie didn't actually submit it.

I mailed this with a letter to the other driver saying that I'd prefer not to have to pursue this route and would you please make good on your promise etc.

I got a check a week later.

Just an idea.
Not a bad idea...

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Everyone is safe - that counts most.

I had an experience with my BMW M5. A Mercedes ran a stop sign. There was absolutely no way I could stop in time. I beeped and he stopped in the intersection. In the split seconds I had, I contemplated hitting him as I stared at a phone pole and fire hydrant. Luckily, I hit the gas and got myself back on the road without hitting anything.

As I look back, he was still sitting in the intersection.

If I didn't hit him, I would have had to pay for the phone pole and fire hydrant. He most likely would have got off without anything. It would have been my word against his for running the stop sign.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sorry it happened, but glad you were able to drive away from it. Hopefully he'll do the right thing when you contact him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts