Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving on the highway and all of a sudden I see this packing wrap across the he highway. I had no choice but to go over it. After I went over it I heard a noise underneath my car for a few minutes then stopped. I looked underneath my car and it looks like it got caught up in the drive shaft. The car is driving normal but do I have to be concerned about anything? Will it wear off on its own?

·
Premium Member
10,514 Posts
Slit it with a utility knife and pull it out. If it hit the exhaust it would have melted, made a mess and smelled bad.

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Yes clean it up before it melts to the exhaust. That is one hell of a mess to chisel off. You dont want to go there.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I had a plastic bag melt on my exhaust the pipes once - years ago... the smell was horrible...

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
Yea, cut it off. It's not likely, but possible that it could cause a minor imbalance of the driveshaft.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I tried to. I pulled over but there wasn't anything to pull off. I saw that there was something ripped in the middle of the car. I need to jack up the car to get it.
You did the right thing by checking on the spot. I would get it off there ASAP.

Not on my Challenger, but a few years ago I was in my GMC pickup when one of those plastic shopping bags blew out in front of me. There was traffic in the adjacent lane so I couldn't avoid it. Like you, I didn't see it come out in the mirror. I was only 5 minutes from home, so I foolishly didn't stop and check right away. When I got home and opened the door, there was a very strong smell of gear oil. When I looked under the truck, there was quite a bit of gear oil sprayed up on the under carriage. Even though there's a shield around the pinion gear seal at the front of the differential, that bag somehow got wrapped right up in there and destroyed the seal. Cost me almost $150 to have it fixed - for a 2¢ plastic bag!

Picture of the destroyed seal attached.

People may laugh at me now when I brake for plastic bags, but I learned the hard way - Avoid them!

Attachments

Reactions: 70TA-09RT

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You did the right thing by checking on the spot. I would get it off there ASAP.

Not on my Challenger, but a few years ago I was in my GMC pickup when one of those plastic shopping bags blew out in front of me. There was traffic in the adjacent lane so I couldn't avoid it. Like you, I didn't see it come out in the mirror. I was only 5 minutes from home, so I foolishly didn't stop and check right away. When I got home and opened the door, there was a very strong smell of gear oil. When I looked under the truck, there was quite a bit of gear oil sprayed up on the under carriage. Even though there's a shield around the pinion gear seal at the front of the differential, that bag somehow got wrapped right up in there and destroyed the seal. Cost me almost $150 to have it fixed - for a 2¢ plastic bag!

Picture of the destroyed seal attached.

People may laugh at me now when I brake for plastic bags, but I learned the hard way - Avoid them!
Wow, hopefully there's nothing like that when I jack up my car. That's pretty serious. Did your vehicle drive normal with the bag?

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Wow, hopefully there's nothing like that when I jack up my car. That's pretty serious. Did your vehicle drive normal with the bag?
The truck drove perfectly well, no strange noises or vibrations....

I see by your photos that your luck wasn't as bad as mine - but it looks like you'll have a bit of cleanup to do.

I'm sure my experience was one of those "One in a Million", but it is amazing sometimes how something so seemingly innocuous can cause such a problem!

What's the saying, "If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...." :D

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
A few years ago (Not in my Challenger) I ran over a piece of thick plastic wrap. Like some of the others above experienced, it got on the muffler, melted and smelled awful for a long time. There wasn't much I could do about it but let it gradually melt away, which it did. Since then I dodge that crap.

I know a guy who was off-roading his Jeep and ran over a discarded tennis net. I guess it was hiding in the weeds and he didn't see it. It wrapped up around his driveshaft and busted the tailshaft off his transmission and did all kinds of other damage. So things could be worse!

Bill

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'd cut it off and it may not be a bad idea to bring it by a mechanic to check it more thoroughly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.