Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some questions for you guys and possibly gals to answer! The ones in the title plus another one and two I’m just randomly thinking up. How much mileage did you put on said vehicle before you had a problem of some kind?

·
Registered
6 Posts
1966 Dart GT, 273, w/727. First mod was adding dual exhaust/turbo mufflers and replacing the 13 inch steel wheels with chrome ones. Kept the bias tires. Was a challenge as a 16 year old kid to park it. No power steering or power brakes.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,381 Posts
In 1977 the first Dodge in our family was a funky turquoise Dodge Tradesman B100 SWB van. Only options were power steering and a passenger seat. Slant 6, 3 on the tree, manual drums. We put a radio in it, and a set of Clifford Research 6=8 dual headers on it, they helped a bit overall mostly on top end, but sounded cool. One of the few straight 6 headers with dual exhaust, front 3, rear 3 going into separate pipes, both dumping right infront of the driver's rear wheel. Then in 1983 he got a 1981 van, very similar, slant 6 4 speed with overdrive on the floor. I put the same type of headers, and this time, also an intake and a little Holley 390CFM 4bbl. It pulled like a 318 up top, but still a sland 6 down low.
Now the first Dodge that I personally bought (not counting Chrysler? I bought a 1988 LeBaron Turbo Coupe brand new)
Was a used 1986 Dodge Lancer ES Turbo. I got it in maybe 1990? Only thing I added to it was a nice pair of long range driving lights, and wired to the high beams, so when you hit the highs, there were 6 halogens on, looked factory, wiring and all. On my later turbo vehicles I would play with manual boost controllers, but not that one. I ended up getting T-Boned in the passenger side and traded it on a Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 4X4, hence my login name, had it on AOL back in the early 1990s!
The first Dodge I really modified was a while later when I got sucked into L Bodies with some Turbo Rampages, with transaxle swaps, more boost...
But it all comes from that 1972 Van slamming 2nd by shoving the column shifter straight towards the windshield.
Here is the van, probably summer of 1981, I can make out a Thrush sticker on the back window as well. Plus that is the 1975 Impala I learned to drive in next to it. I took my driver's test in that van. You can just make out the dual exhaust tips in front of the back wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
'74 Dodge Dart. The first mod was putting Jensen 6" X 9" speakers in the rear deck, and installing an AM/FM cassette radio where the original AM radio was.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
1975 Dodge Charger, first "mod" was a set of chrome valve covers, air cleaner and stainless steel hose kit.
First performance mod well, they were all done over a weekend, cars then were so much friendlier to work on.
1.) Cyclone headers
2.) Purple shaft Cam and lifter kit and new Mopar Valve springs
3.) Swapped out the 2 barrel intake for a 340 oem intake
4.) Carter AFB 750 CFM
5.) Ripped out the 8-1/4" 273 geared open rear end and bolted in am identical rear end with a Limited Slip.
6) Scrapped the chrome garbage and installed all MOPAR performance cast aluminum valve covers and air cleaner
7) Removed all the braided hose kit garbage. <<Learned the hard way that that crap tares you up>>

Oh to have disposable income and disposable time.....

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,613 Posts
2016 SXT Plus :) Black lug nuts. No problems so far (knock head)

A Guy

·
Registered
265 Posts
1996 Laramie SLT Dodge Ram 1500 4wd with the 5.9 'magnum' was my first mopar. It had power seats.
It was a cool truck. I bought it used, a year old with 20K miles. New Bilsteins all around. I put new Autolite platinum plugs, a new Borg Warner distributor cap with brass contacts. New spark plug wires, I can't remember the name, but they were good. I put a transmission pan on there that I could change the fluid, Six blade fan.
That was a good truck, geared wrong, I think 3.55 something like that. It pulled my first camper very well on flat land.
Outback 21
Truck was rusting away on me, but it never give me any problems. Well once the rear brake line rusted out and brake pedal went to the floor. That was a Ah-ha moment ! I blame state of Virginia for that !
I sold it in 2008 and bought my current Dodge, with a Cummins.
Then I have all these Jeeps around here. we just roll them over if we need parts, ?
They are mopar products, and now a Challenger. Its all good.

parrott

·
Registered
105 Posts
1st Dodge was a mid '70's Dodge Colt back in the mid '80's. Bought it as a winter beater while my 442 was off the road for $50. Drove it for about a month with switched plates & no insurance. Broke down. Junked it for $40. Different time back then.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,381 Posts
1st Dodge was a mid '70's Dodge Colt back in the mid '80's. Bought it as a winter beater while my 442 was off the road for $50. Drove it for about a month with switched plates & no insurance. Broke down. Junked it for $40. Different time back then.
My buddy had a Colt Wagon, used it like a truck, it was kind of funny, at least it was RWD.

·
Registered
2015 R/T PLUS Billet Silver Metallic
184 Posts
Around 1975 I had a 1966 Dodge Monaco 500 with a 383 4bbl. automatic with an open rear for a first car,,,it didn't take me long to grenade that rear,,so I swapped it out for a posi rear with a 3:55 ratio that I found in the junkyard,, paid like 50 bucks for it,,,swapped it out,,(housing and all),,,ran really good,,,,for about a year,,,,,til I grenaded the engine from higher rpms !!

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
278 Posts
1979 Plymouth Volare 2 door 318 auto. Drove it back and forth between Spokane and Portland when I was in the Navy, then parked it when the ship went back to San Diego. Drove it for a while after I got out then parted it out (can't remember why). Only real problems I had were all self inflicted.

First mod was either the swap to a 4BBL intake and Thermoquad, or the broken grill (they all happened concurrently :rolleyes:). Learned a lot about the miscellaneous parts that are different between a 2BBL and 4BBL in a Mopar, mostly because I couldn't get it back together and had to figure out what was different. First drive back to Portland with a jury rigged kick down was interesting.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts