Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,362 Posts
Got into the TD world with an 86 LeBaron 4 door. Had the 2.2 T1 5 speed, converted it to an auto so my wife would drive it. Bought a mid 80's Charger I was going to swap that drivetrain into (with the stick) when I found out the deck on the motor was torched and I would never get a HG to last. Then I tripped over an '89 LeBaron GTC T2 5 speed car. Drove the wheels off that car, let it go at well over 200K miles when I got frustrated with it. I miss that car. Even had an '04 PT GT auto that we drove until it got wrecked.

One thing I don't miss though is, it seemed like with turbo cars when something was off the car was just a problem. Towards the end, that PT just wouldn't accelerate on the highway without bucking and surging. Never figured out why, it went away before it had to be fixed. Just seems like boost doesn't just amplify the power, it also amplifies the problems.

Before i found my '89 GTC, I tripped over a '90 GTC with the VNT motor. Tried hard to buy it, but it got sold about the same time I thought I finally had everything lined up. Man I wanted that car.

Always wanted an SRT-4, but seems like they have dried up now.
What got me out of it all was I got rear ended in my Rampage, my head blew out the rear window! Wasn't a real bad hit, and it was repairable, but I sold my whole hobby. 2 Rampages, and a complete torn down Shelby Charger Turbo with the Getrag to go into the 2nd Rampage. And some other stuff chucked in both.
If that didn't happen, I would have went down the 16v rabbit hole with a PT Cruiser head and custom intake/intercooler.
The 1988 LeBaron we bought new was the "Turbo Coupe" package. It was basically a GTC with out intercooler and with an auto. It was a base model but with the premium interior panels, but analog gauges and no cornering lights. And the side moldings had "TURBO" printed on them, with no TURBO/EFI emblems. It was 1$2,300 base plus $4,800 for the Turbo Coupe package, included basically all other options added in. In Twilight Blue with blue interior, it was sharp. I have never seen another with that package.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
156 Posts
My first Dodge was my 1998 Ram with the 318 engine. Had it 9 years then got my current 2007 Ram. Still have it along with my 2018 Challenger. Was a Ford man prior to getting my first Dodge and wish i still had my 1979 Ford F150 4x4.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My first Dodge back in 1973 when I was 19 was a 69 Coronet R/T 440 auto, light bronze poly with black vinyl top and rear strip, and buck skin interior. First mods were ET aluminum slots with G60 15's on front and L60 15's on back, then headers and louder exhaust, a lumpier cam and 2800 converter. Then the 3.23 rear gears got replace with 4.30 gears and the 4 barrel was replace with a 6 pack. I sold my first car to buy the R/T, a 61 Chevy 2dr bubble top Impala Candy Apple blue with white lace paint job with a 302 small block(327 block 283 crank) 12.5 compression, fully ported LT1 heads, big solid lifter cam, tunnel ram with two 4 barrels, 4.56 gears and a 4 spd. Bought it when I was 15 and finished building when I was 18, I learned to hate Chevy's with that car, seemed like it was broke more than it ran, switch to Dodge and never looked back and I have had a string of fast Mopars and motorcycles since.
My current crop of vehicles
1966 Dart, 416 small block, 4 spd., 4.10 dana 60, run 10.70 to 10.80 at 125 to 126 in street trim.
2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7 6M, long tube headers, custom cam, 6.4 srv intake, cold air. 85mm TB, Barton shifter.
2016 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Quad cab, 3 liter Eco Diesel.
1980 Honda CBX Super Sport, 6 into 1 exhaust, hotter cams, reworked carbs, 81 CBX sport fairing. Corbin seat.
1996 BMW K1100RS SE, Ramus Titanum 4 into 1 exhaust, hotter cams and bigger throttle body's(32mm to 35mm) from a K1200RS lowered handle bars, Corbin seat.
At 65 and I still can't leave a vehicle alone, I've got to make them run better than stock, I have that burning dizzier for speed and to have some thing different than the crowd.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
1985 shelby charger which I still have. First mod was a spearco side mount intercooler. View attachment 988713
I always wanted to pick up a black one, I had the Blue, then the Red, then I got the Rampage in Black to complete the set. This is a picture of when I bought it, the custom bra was neat, but I removed it.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Wow that's nice! Do you still have the rampage? If not where is it at now?
It was a hoot, long gone. I got rear ended in it, and sold all my L body stuff back in 2009.
I was planning on making it a Rampage Limited, basically every 1980s option Chrysler had back in the day. I had the navigator trip computer working in it, I still have a digital dash at my old house from a daytona, and bulb sense wiring harness. I was going to put the talking stuff from a Chrysler in it. Most parts went to the guy that bought it all, they showed up with a minivan and tow dolly. Put my 1984 rampage on the dolly filled up it, the van, and the Shelbyized one, and drove back to Wisconson? The Turbo Rampage loaded up got something like 34MPG. It had a destroyed rear bumper, bed floor was rolled in a bit, and rear window was blown out from my head.
I had a Shadow CSX boost gauge in the A/C vent, looked factory, 1998 radio, all MOPAR stuff.
Plus it had a neat speedometer overlay I made based on the Shelby ones, but better. I had a previous SC wrapped all the way around to 15MPH once (130ish). Here's a pic when I was putting the navigator in. You can see the boost gauge, and make out the speedo overlay. The factory one ended at 85MPH, but no pin, it would wrap all the way around easily.

Basically I was putting all this stuff in

·
Registered
11 Posts
First Dodge was 1969 Charger. Piss yellow with a 318
Still one of my favourites

Oh, first mod was - wide tires on the back

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack
43 Posts
This is embarrassing but mine was an ’83 Omni. I was 16 so with tinted windows and the air box removed it was a hot rod to me:LOL:. Oh my other “mod” was 215/60r-13 Goodyear Eagle S’s if I recall correctly. It lasted a year and a half of my rally style driving before I roasted virtually everything electrical when the voltage regulator failed catastrophically. For a brief few seconds it was brilliantly spectacular.

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
After 40+ years GM only I bought a 2009 Challenger SRT. Mods were a catch can and splash guards. Yes after many years I actually learned that most money spent on mods is money down a rat hole and actually decreases the value of the vehicle to most buyers.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts