Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had an increasing issue with my 2010 RT classic auto stalling for awhile now. I have been told many things. Here are the things I looked at.

#1 There is a PCM flash update supposedly to deal with stalling. I did that and the problem still persisted
#2 Data logging shows no codes of any kind
#3 Replaced Crank position sensor did not fix it
#4 Replaced Cam position sensor, did not fix it
#5 Checked TCM to ensure it was functioning correctly and no problems were found
#6 Checked ABS unit and no problem found
#7 Checked catalytic converters, not the issue
#8 Service notice for random stalling, coil pack when warm may cause electrical feedback forcing the PCM to reboot. Indicator lights on dash will flash and will not present any codes. Solution is to replace 1 coil pack and drive vehicle if problem resolved you found the problem coil pack. If not you swap the earlier one that was removed continuing on until the faulty coil pack is identified. In case you are thinking, yes if a coil pack has a total failure you will have a code like P0301 and so on. The problem is the coil has intermittent problems when hot and a voltage test will not identify it when cold.

So I went and bought two OEM coil packs from the dealer and while there a service tech said coil packs 7 & 8 are common to go as water tends to drip on them more for the challengers due to the hood vents. So I put a new coil pack on cylinder 7 & 8 to try first.

Results after driving 1350 miles under various conditions I have no more engine stalling.

So if you are having a random stalling issue you may want to look at your spark plugs and coil packs first to save you some time.

Thanks to FnkyChkn for the help!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I hope it helps others as I found this frustrating.

·
Registered
601 Posts
This is extremely useful. Thanks for your post! Although I thought one shouldn't drive Challengers in the rain to begin with... :) Too nice of a car...

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
But... but... isn't it a man's car?! :up_to_something: Guess what mod just got crossed off my list: the hood vents will remain as symbolic as my fake hood pins.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yep, I thought the same thing. Will keep my non-functioning hood vents...

Reactions: USRWDV8

·
Registered
779 Posts
Excellent debug and solution thread, you should post this over in the Tech Exchange.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That may be an idea, I will also copy the tech bulletin for those that want more detail. I live on rainy Vancouver and have the functional vents so I will have to give it some thought.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
STAR Case report

Symptom you may experience a die out, stall condition at any speed while driving or while at a stop. The engine usually restarts right away on a crank atempt. The symptoms may also be described as a engine appearing to loose power with a report that it restarts by itself. They may also describe as a missing, bucking hesitation. Symptoms may also be accompanied by a mil on with DTC's set. The actual DTC's may vary.

Diagnosis
The only sure way to diagnose this condition is to capture the event with a data recorder that will indicate some or all pcm data items during the event will show a loss of pcm consciousness or communications represented by blank data.

Repair procedure
Inspect all spark plugs and coils for damage, signs of arcing or other abnormalities. If nothing is noticeable, replace all spark plugs and retest for the condition. If the condition is still present start by replacing one coil at a time and recheck for condition.

Under heat the coil pack may sporadically fail causing electrical feedback to the PCM which generates lost communication and the PCM reset.

So check your plugs otherwise I would check your coil packs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Sqdlypsonline

now*-*#438

I have been dealing with random stalling for 6 YEARS. Without reading through all the pages .... Has anyone actually had this repaired? I have a 2006 Charger SRT8. I'm on a Challenger forum because the dealership are clearly either idiots or juat don't care and this was one of only 2 things I found when Googling. I'm so at my wits end I've enlisted a writer at the local paper for help and my next step is a lawyer I can't afford. Today was my last straw of being a nice person with them. I'm sone. My car stalls making a U-turn. Mid U-turn lost power stearing. Was dead in the water for anyone to come over the hill and T-bone me with my 2 year old in the car. Thank god I had juat dropped my friends kid off at school. Only risking my families life. So I'm looking for any and all replies. Going back to page 1 to start reading but needed to get it out. Thanks for the response in advance.

Page*44*of*44

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yep, I thought the same thing. Will keep my non-functioning hood vents...
If you've ever had the "fake" vents out you'll see that they just snap in and water will get in anyway. I took my fake ones and just ground down the back of the vent which opened them up.
I read somewhere that it actually pulls air out when driving, not sure as I have never been under the hood while driving.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts