Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Challenger started doing some weird stuff yesterday.

Started it, got out of the garage, forgot something, parking brake, jumped out and got what I needed. As I was getting back in my son was talking to car, like voice activation telling it to "shut up" like telling Alexa to pause. Maybe it was the beeper saying the fob had been gone. Anyway, away we go, answer the touchscreen shows "device not compatible". Close it, it re opens. About every ten seconds. Stereo works fine, everything else fine.

Today, wife and I going out, start it, big puff of smoke right on startup. Like pulling a winterized two stroke out of winter storage, except it went away quickly. Weird. Seemed to be running fine otherwise.

Drive down our street and my wife shows me the end of her phone charger (almost new charger) and the end is all corroded like an old battery. Wtf?

Turn around cuz we need another charger, and my gut tells me to park it and take old faithful so that's what we did.

Car has 6k miles, zero trouble until now. I did install various stereo stuff but it's been working fine for months. Otherwise stock. One oil change done, proper oil and filter, 92 octane fuel all the time, not that it should be relevant.

???

Also have a noticeable hemi tick to the point I almost created a thread (knowing there are hundreds of hemi tick threads) saying is this normal amount of ticking?

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
713 Posts
What "proper oil" did you use?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,230 Posts
Challenger started doing some weird stuff yesterday.

Started it, got out of the garage, forgot something, parking brake, jumped out and got what I needed. As I was getting back in my son was talking to car, like voice activation telling it to "shut up" like telling Alexa to pause. Maybe it was the beeper saying the fob had been gone. Anyway, away we go, answer the touchscreen shows "device not compatible". Close it, it re opens. About every ten seconds. Stereo works fine, everything else fine.

Today, wife and I going out, start it, big puff of smoke right on startup. Like pulling a winterized two stroke out of winter storage, except it went away quickly. Weird. Seemed to be running fine otherwise.

Drive down our street and my wife shows me the end of her phone charger (almost new charger) and the end is all corroded like an old battery. Wtf?

Turn around cuz we need another charger, and my gut tells me to park it and take old faithful so that's what we did.

Car has 6k miles, zero trouble until now. I did install various stereo stuff but it's been working fine for months. Otherwise stock. One oil change done, proper oil and filter, 92 octane fuel all the time, not that it should be relevant.

???

Also have a noticeable hemi tick to the point I almost created a thread (knowing there are hundreds of hemi tick threads) saying is this normal amount of ticking?
While I can't be certain that "various stereo stuff" you installed has anything to do with the weirdness you report I would not be surprised if it does not play a role in the weirdness associated with the stereo/uConnect. Over the years and as cars have gotten more complex in the electronics area it is rare mods to the stereo do not result in "weirdness" from the car's factory installed electronic hardware.

The brief puff of smoke upon cold start is common. Short trips that are too short/brief to have the engine up to full operating temperature plays a major role. With other brands of cars and I follow this with my Hellcat as long as the puff of smoke is brief, over about as soon as it begins, doesn't happen at other times, the CEL remains dark and the engine manifests no untoward behvavior, the brief puff of smoke at cold start is normal and nothing to worry about. As an aside, this puff of smoke at cold start suggests the typical use of the car consists of short trips. If so you might want to watch the oil life "gauge". Oil changes might be required more often than 6K miles.

Some ticking from the engine is to be expected. It is after all a reciprocating internal combustion engine. Where I sort of draw the line is when I'm not listening for any ticking I hear it and it is distinct and I can hear it in the cabin with the doors closed and the windows up. If you can hear a ticking under these conditions it might be -- might be -- worth further investigation. The car is new and can develop a problem arising from being new and a component experiencing premature failure. You should consider having a tech listen to the engine and advise you.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I can't be certain that "various stereo stuff" you installed has anything to do with the weirdness you report I would not be surprised if it does not play a role in the weirdness associated with the stereo/uConnect. Over the years and as cars have gotten more complex in the electronics area it is rare mods to the stereo do not result in "weirdness" from the car's factory installed electronic hardware.

The brief puff of smoke upon cold start is common. Short trips that are too short/brief to have the engine up to full operating temperature plays a major role. With other brands of cars and I follow this with my Hellcat as long as the puff of smoke is brief, over about as soon as it begins, doesn't happen at other times, the CEL remains dark and the engine manifests no untoward behvavior, the brief puff of smoke at cold start is normal and nothing to worry about. As an aside, this puff of smoke at cold start suggests the typical use of the car consists of short trips. If so you might want to watch the oil life "gauge". Oil changes might be required more often than 6K miles.

Some ticking from the engine is to be expected. It is after all a reciprocating internal combustion engine. Where I sort of draw the line is when I'm not listening for any ticking I hear it and it is distinct and I can hear it in the cabin with the doors closed and the windows up. If you can hear a ticking under these conditions it might be -- might be -- worth further investigation. The car is new and can develop a problem arising from being new and a component experiencing premature failure. You should consider having a tech listen to the engine and advise you.
I'm following on the stereo. While I didn't do a butcher job, everything was model specific Adapters, I could still have a grounding issue or something. I will be investigating further with that as the most likely suspect.

As to the puff of smoke, it's just odd that it's so random. I actually don't do short trips often. It normally gets driven hard with ample time for warm up. But, the trip previous to the puff was a shorter trip thru town.

The ticking I can't decide to take it in or not. Not against it per se just scheduling conflicts makes it difficult to get to the dealer. I do think it would be wise to at least have a documented trip to refer to on the off chance something does in fact happen down the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts