Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... yesterday I drove a BEAUTIFUL 2012 Challenger R/T, gray, black interior, 6 speed manual; thing was a BEAST and I loved it!
Then, after having decided that I really wanted the car, here comes the dealer b.s.

First: a couple of thousand under K.B.B. on my trade (a clean, no issues, 2013 Silverado with less than 40k on the clock).
Second: no budging on their price, AT ALL.
Third: a $1600 dollar mark up called "internet pricing"???? A mark up for looking at their car on the internet? WTH?

Q: why do dealers do this? I don't understand the intent of it.

Needless to say, I drove the Silverado home, not the Dodge.

Rant OFF.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I had similar issue on my 2012 SRT8. Walked away and they called me back two days later to make my deal. Did they take your info? Don't be surprised they call back. Most of the time it is a waiting game to see who breaks first.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Expect a phone call today from the salesman explaining that the Internet sales manager found a way to lower the price.

The intent is to maximize profit in hopes that you make a large purchase decision fueled by emotion rather than rational thought and reasoning.

·
Super Moderator
14,213 Posts
Find another dealer. There are many low mileage used R/Ts and SRTs available. Just find them on line and ask for their best offer. Don't go to the showroom until you are ready to accept their offer. Since the dealers know that you are shopping, they will give you their best price.

Read these internet car buying tips.

https://www.carbuyingtips.com/car2.htm

·
Registered
537 Posts
How helpful do you think this dealer will be if you have any kind of problem after you purchase from them ?? RUN FORREST, RUN....!!! :surprise:

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,001 Posts
Out of curiosity how much were they asking for the car not counting your trade in?

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
There are a zillion cars for sale out there. I've never heard of a higher Internet price. That's weird. As someone said, run.

I've never had a dealer come close to KBB on their trade offer, but to RAISE their price is nuts. Get on cargurus.com, cars.com, autotrader.com, etc, and find a better deal.

Dealerships are jam-packed with cars now, so you'll have a hard time getting what you want for your trade.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
"internet pricing" on a used car - that's a new one to me...:|

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
$23K

Warranty was another $3400
Internet fee was $1500 or $1600, can't remember exactly.
Trade in was $2k less than KBB.
:roller:

Main thing to keep in mind is that you can always walk away from a "deal" and that 3rd party warranties are usually scams.

You didn't mention a mileage so I can't tell you how off they are on their price, but ALWAYS shoot under and let them work you up when buying.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
There are a zillion cars for sale out there. I've never heard of a higher Internet price. That's weird. As someone said, run.

I've never had a dealer come close to KBB on their trade offer, but to RAISE their price is nuts. Get on cargurus.com, cars.com, autotrader.com, etc, and find a better deal.

Dealerships are jam-packed with cars now, so you'll have a hard time getting what you want for your trade.
+1 on Car Gurus. I found my '15 SRT auto w/16k miles there. Caddie dealer an hour away of all places. It had been there a couple months and they were ready to move it. Car Gurus shows a chart of the price history of every car they list. It had dropped several thousand over 60 days. They also said NO ACCIDENTS reported. Internet price was 36,900. I checked it over carefully, then drove it. I noted that the front brake rotors seemed to have excessive wear. However, the forum said this is typical of an SRT. I offered 36 even. After trying to meet me half way, I told them that I'd be willing to pay 36 today, and not a penny more. I had other cars to look at. With that said, they agreed and the deal was done.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,026 Posts
So... yesterday I drove a BEAUTIFUL 2012 Challenger R/T, gray, black interior, 6 speed manual; thing was a BEAST and I loved it!
Then, after having decided that I really wanted the car, here comes the dealer b.s.

First: a couple of thousand under K.B.B. on my trade (a clean, no issues, 2013 Silverado with less than 40k on the clock).
Second: no budging on their price, AT ALL.
Third: a $1600 dollar mark up called "internet pricing"???? A mark up for looking at their car on the internet? WTH?

Q: why do dealers do this? I don't understand the intent of it.

Needless to say, I drove the Silverado home, not the Dodge.

Rant OFF.
First thing to know about dealer behavior is it is intended to get you to pay as much for the car as possible and to buy the car ASAP.

As for price, price is not fact only an opinion. The dealer's below "book" offer on your trade in was just an opinion. And the same applies to that "internet" price. Just an opinion.

(Back in June 2009 when I was shopping for a used car I tracked a car I was interested in for about a month or month and a half. The car sometimes had a number of different prices. What the sign on the car at the dealer had, the dealer's web site, and then if I hovered the cursor over the car a pop-up would appear with the "internet" price. Over time the car's price varied by several thousand dollars. I could see no rhyme or reason for the changes in price other than it was probably done based on the same thinking that has a dealer shuffling cars on the lot every once in a while. I bought the car I was interested in and negotiated a price around $5K less than the lowest price I had in my records.)

Besides knowing the trade in value of your car and what similar vehicles are being listed for, you also need to research and know the market price of the car you are interested in. And you need to have a list of a number of similar cars to show the dealer you have lots of choices. These cars don't necessarily have to be cars you would actually buy but they should at least be comparable in price and in other ways to the car you are looking at.

When you set foot on the lot make it clear that you are there to buy a car, today, provided you can make a suitable deal. You show the dealer the list of cars you have.

When you get the below book trade in offer for your car and you will you don't react but instead just offer what you'll be willing to pay for the car you want and of course you offer a price in which you have factored in your market price research and the fact the dealer has come in low with a trade in.

Also, and this is important, you want to be sure your offer gets to the salesmanager or GM. The salesman can only say "no" to a deal and he will unless the offer is to where he thinks the car should sell for.

The salesmanager/GM know what they have in the car and can accept a lower price than the salesman would sell the car for, but as I said above the decision is not up to the salesman.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:roller:

Main thing to keep in mind is that you can always walk away from a "deal" and that 3rd party warranties are usually scams.

You didn't mention a mileage so I can't tell you how off they are on their price, but ALWAYS shoot under and let them work you up when buying.
had 22 k on the clock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts