Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got an unusual sound coming from my '11 SRT8. It is best described as a sort of rapid-fire ticking coming from inside the dash. It seems to be approximately behind the instrument cluster. Sounds very "plasticy", that is to say it sounds kind of like a plastic gear stripping it's teeth. It occurs randomly and for no apparent reason that I can tell. Each ticking session last about 4 to 6 seconds. It will even happen (randomly) when the car is parked and shut off. So long as I am near it with the keyfob in my pocket. Really strange.
All of the HVAC functions seem to work fine. I have tried to play with the HVAC settings when it does occur just to see if there is any effect, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Anyone else have something like this happen? I'm stumped.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hmm, I suppose it could be. But why would that system be functioning repeatedly, and seemingly randomly (using up battery power too) all while the car is shut off? Furthermore, when it happens when I'm driving, how come there is absolutely no apparent effect on the HVAC (or the ticking) when I play with the HVAC settings during the ticking events?

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
I believe this has been discussed here before. The door may be trying to go to a position when the car is shut down and needs to relearn it’s parked position. Try to use the search function and word it a few ways to see if you can find the thread. It’s like some moon roofs don’t fully open or close and need to be reset.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, after some further research (google), I do think it is likely to be the blend door actuator. Apparently a pretty common problem with the Dodge. I'm so sick of the cheap-ass quality of these cars.
So I guess there are 2 of these units located on the drivers side of the Dash. A couple of youtube videos show that they can be removed without removing the entire dash assembly. Among these 2 units, is one more prone to failure than the other? I have no easy way to diagnose which unit is faulty, especially seen as the ticking happens so randomly. My guess would be whichever unit is most difficult to get to is probably the suspect one.
Anyone here successfully replace one of these by accessing it from under the dash? Any tips. The youtube videos were on a Charger. Probably much the same as the Challenger with regard to this item.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Chally Tatum. At the moment, I think I will just live with the occasional ticking until some sort of failure occurs that allows me to more accurately diagnose which unit on the driver's side is the faulty one. So frustrating....

For me, my Challenger is more of an expensive toy, not a daily driver. So the mileage is still pretty low for its age. It is so frustrating to be experiencing the piss-poor quality Dodge produces even on a car that is well cared for and used relatively little. At some point I will dump this POS and probably replace it with a very nicely restored late 60's muscle car. For the price of a new Challenger SRT8, you could easily do this. Just sick of the garbage quality that Dodge is producing. Such a shame because I do love the styling and performance, but not worth the money for me...not until Dodge is willing to significantly improve it quality!

·
Registered
46 Posts
My '09 Ram 1500 had the same random issue in the past. It seemed to be coming from behind the ignition switch and only when in park. Taking it out of park made it stop. Still baffled, but has not happened more than a few times.

·
Super Moderator
15,392 Posts
So, after some further research (google), I do think it is likely to be the blend door actuator. Apparently a pretty common problem with the Dodge. I'm so sick of the cheap-ass quality of these cars.
So I guess there are 2 of these units located on the drivers side of the Dash. A couple of youtube videos show that they can be removed without removing the entire dash assembly. Among these 2 units, is one more prone to failure than the other? I have no easy way to diagnose which unit is faulty, especially seen as the ticking happens so randomly. My guess would be whichever unit is most difficult to get to is probably the suspect one.
Anyone here successfully replace one of these by accessing it from under the dash? Any tips. The youtube videos were on a Charger. Probably much the same as the Challenger with regard to this item.
There were two devices on driver's side for the single zone '08 - '14. One is the temperature blend actuator and the blend door actuator.

From '15+ they went to dual zone, so there's an additional actuator [for owners that have '15+ models] most likely on the passenger side that allows the L / R temperature settings feature.

The HVAC units on the three RWD cars would be the same layout - heater / evaporator unit in the center with the same recirc / blend / temperature actuators.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,579 Posts
It's not that bad at all....no where near as bad as the header install I did during xmas Heck I am rewiring my gauge pod and taking off the driver footwell/steering cover took like 10 minutes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts