Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found several photos of a rare Challenger concept car on the Dupont Registry website. It was based on a Hemi convertible and was supposed to compete against the Corvette. The 1970 model was called the Yellow Jacket and the 1971 model was the Diamante. Supposedly, only two were built.

Cool or Un-Cool?

Click on the following website and scroll down.

All posts by benjamin greene

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Mopar Action magazine had a Diamante as a cover car several months back and included a nice wirteup about the car and it's history. The article included a sidebar on the YJ. I think they're cool.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Does it have a Hemi?yes indeed.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
The original Yellow Jacket was first a Dodge Challenger. In fact, it was the very first Challenger and the first E-body to roll off of the line (VIN #JS27ROB100022). It was yanked from the production line as soon as it rolled off. When it rolled off of the line, it was painted black and highly optioned, i.e., power windows, convertible, 4-speed, Hemi, shaker hood and a Dana 4.10 rear end.

It was sent to a special facility to be modified for the car show circuit. It was painted with a special Yellow Jacket metallic paint. However, the paint began to fail and rather than repaint the car, Chrysler chose to modify it further and turn it into the Diamante. They are the one and the same car underneath.

I'd be curious to know where the car is today. Whether Chrysler has it locked up in its vault or if the car was returned to its Challenger look and sold as used, or if the car was just crushed as is common. Challenger #1 coupled with being a convertible and a 4-speed Hemi to boot would make the car worth millions.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
One of the Mopar Mags had an article about it a year or so ago, it has been restored correctly in Diamante form and is in good hands.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
The original Yellow Jacket was first a Dodge Challenger. In fact, it was the very first Challenger and the first E-body to roll off of the line (VIN #JS27ROB100022). It was yanked from the production line as soon as it rolled off. When it rolled off of the line, it was painted black and highly optioned, i.e., power windows, convertible, 4-speed, Hemi, shaker hood and a Dana 4.10 rear end.

It was sent to a special facility to be modified for the car show circuit. It was painted with a special Yellow Jacket metallic paint. However, the paint began to fail and rather than repaint the car, Chrysler chose to modify it further and turn it into the Diamante. They are the one and the same car underneath.

I'd be curious to know where the car is today. Whether Chrysler has it locked up in its vault or if the car was returned to its Challenger look and sold as used, or if the car was just crushed as is common. Challenger #1 coupled with being a convertible and a 4-speed Hemi to boot would make the car worth millions.
Car is owned by collector Steve Juliano.. Mopar Action On-line - Article Extra - DIAMANTE — CHRYSLER’S CROWN JEWEL

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found several photos of a rare Challenger concept car on the Dupont Registry website. It was based on a Hemi convertible and was supposed to compete against the Corvette. The 1970 model was called the Yellow Jacket and the 1971 model was the Diamante. Supposedly, only two were built.

Cool or Un-Cool?

Click on the following website and scroll down.

All posts by benjamin greene

IMO, it's the ultimate MOPAR! And there was only one built. It's the same car. The Yellow Jacket paint got damaged, and the car was repainted white for the show circuit the following year, and renamed Diamante.. The Diamante is presently owned by famed Mopar collector Steve Juliano, and it is priceless!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts